New start up image

This might be a crazy suggestion but have you looked in contenets on my computer via TT Home,
Just perhaps the pictures you downloaded are on your computer but not yet loaded on your 720?

Yes, I've tried to unzip them

Brenda, if you are trying to add more photos of your own to the choices available, then use Explorer to copy your picture(s) to the folder 'photos' (no quotes) on your unit.

I have both a .jpg file and a .bmp file in that folder. The unit sees both.

Ok if you can see them in TT home Click on add voices maps etc etc. and got to last page add contents from my computer and the start up imiges should be there.

Brenda, if you are trying to add more photos of your own to the choices available, then use Explorer to copy your picture(s) to the folder 'photos' (no quotes) on your unit.

I have both a .jpg file and a .bmp file in that folder. The unit sees both.

I'm not trying to add my own photos.

Ok if you can see them in TT home Click on add voices maps etc etc. and got to last page add contents from my computer and the start up imiges should be there.

Yes, the images are there. When I click add, it loads, but when I turn TomTom on, there is a grey screen where the start up image should be.

So now, to have a start up screen, I have to go back into my preferences ON my unit and choose a slide, which areprevious pictures I uploaded from TT, not a picture that I have created.

try a pin reset.

I've tried that a million times............in fact that's another issue. Every time I dock my TT, I have to do a pin reset so that Home recognizes it.

But, to your suggestion, I've reset it at least 5 times this morning.

Go here for the link. Download it while your unit is connected. Don't worry that the screen about the Clear Flash doesn't specifically refer to the 720. It's useful sometimes when user settings are not 'taking'

I just did the flash tool and when I dock TT it didn't open Home, so still have to do a pin reset each time............not a biggie.

Let's face it, I have a very temperamental TT. :p

I think I'm ready to cry "uncle" and leave things the way they are, as disappointed as I am, I think it's the best thing to do.

Thanks to ALL of you guys trying to help me out.

I apologize to anyone that thought I was rude, it was never intended that way. Some of us are a little more computer savy than others and may have the lingo down a little better. I got upset because I thought I was coming here for help, not to be criticized.

But for all of you that stuck in there with me, thanks so much!
Brenda

If this doesn't fix the problem there is a program you can try to generate a new splash screen for your 720.

splash screen generator

If all else fails and you have a backup copy of your 720 using explored that was working prior to this issue then you can format your unit and copy your backed up copy back on your unit.

I have done this for other reasons and it did get me back to a previous verson that was working the way I wanted.

Last edited:
Brenda,
I sent you a PM regarding this. I know its frustrating, but WE can fix this.
As for your reply to my post, yes my TT is the way you described and the picture changed to one i added to the Photos folder via Windows Explorer, NOT TT Home. I also explained in the PM.
As for your docking problem. when its in the dock and you turn it on, it doesnt ask about connecting to the PC right? Mine does that and I lift it off the dock 1 or 2 times and when i put it back down, it asks. Try that as well.
We should talk in real time so we can compare files and folders inside the TT using Windows Explorer.
Ike

Startup Images

When you change the Startup Image through Change Preferences you should see a choice of images. Those images are stored on the TT in a folder called photos. When you select a new image for your startup that image is copied from there to the root directory and renamed splashw.bmp. It will also be resized to 383k.

It doesn't seem to matter whether the format in the photos folder is a jpg or bmp or what the size is, TT will copy, rename and resize it. That's the way it works on my TT with v8.300.

This may not solve anyone's problem but I hope this clarifies it.

Ask a Question