New start up image

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom GO 720
I think there may be an issue with my files. In the past I have been able to upload new start up images from TT Home. The images would be in change preferences - start up preferences. The new picture that I just uploaded is not in there. I currently have 6 pictures that I uploaded a long time ago that I can choose from. 5 of the pictures are listed as "slides" and 1 picture is listed as "splashw"

I then went into my computer files and found the new picture I just uploaded under "downloads - startup screen" It showed as a zip file, so I tried zipping it into "photo" file, where the rest of my "slides" are. It didn't work. It erased the original "splashw" picture that was in there.

Can anybody make any sense of this and help me out?

Thanks,
Brenda

Well, for a 720, it does indeed need a file called splashw.bmp in the ROOT of the unit. (The 'w' is for widescreen).

Can you unzip your new file (named properly) in the root of the unit and try again. (You'll want to undock the unit PROPERLY from the computer and restart).

How can I get the splashw file back. When I tried to unzip it before, it disappeared. The only pictures I have left to choose from are slides.

Well, do you still have the zip file? If not, guess you'll have to dl it again from wherever you got it.

Yes I found the zip file and unzipped it as a splashw.

I found on my computer in a folder called "startup screen" (Which by the way does NOT show on my TomTom)

I tried to move it to a file called "photos" which is where the slides are (Which by the way DO show on my Tom Tom).

After I dragged the picture into the photo file, it shows on my computer, but NOT on Tom Tom.

The folder 'startup screen' does NOT belong on your unit.

The splashw.bmp file does NOT go in the photos folder. It goes in the ROOT of the unit.

Okay, I've explained myself to a tee and apparently you know something I don't about what you mention over and over again. I guess it would be helpful if you tell me what a ROOT is!

Whether or not my pictures belong in a photo file or not, what I am trying to explain and get help with is.......that's where they are, I can't help it.

The root of the unit is where all the folders and various loose files are found. If you use Explorer to view the contents of the unit, the root directory will show folders such as (none of these have quotes) 'asr', 'sounds', 'mp3' and a bunch more. You'll also see loose files not in any folder. Well, the splashw.bmp file also goes in the root of the unit, not in any folder.

So, use Explorer and copy the file from where you see it on your unit, paste it in the root directory of the unit (and then you can delete it from the folder it was residing in).

Look below:
loose_files.jpg

Ignore any reference to deleting files in the image but do you see the difference between files and folders?

You call them roots, I called them folders. The bottom line is that's exactly where I've been and when I view the splashw "root" it shows a slide that is in a "photo" file which is on my Tom Tom.
When I tried to copy the new picture that is a splashw file, it will not show on my Tom Tom and it then comes up as a Windows and Fax Picture Viewer on my computer.

It doesn' sound like you can help restore my files back to the way they should be, so my next question is, if I reset my Tom Tom to "factory settings", will that fix any corrupted/missing files?

I call them by the proper terms, 'files' and 'folders'. Also, the 'root' directory of the unit.

The splashw.bmp FILE should be in the root DIRECTORY of the unit. If your FILE is indeed located in the root DIRECTORY, then UNDOCK the unit PROPERLY from the computer (using the Safely Remove icon in the Notification [bottom right of your screen; the icon has a green arrow]), and do a pin reset.

I call them by the proper terms, 'files' and 'folders'. Also, the 'root' directory of the unit.

The splashw.bmp FILE should be in the root DIRECTORY of the unit. If your FILE is indeed located in the root DIRECTORY, then UNDOCK the unit PROPERLY from the computer (using the Safely Remove icon in the Notification [bottom right of your screen; the icon has a green arrow]), and do a pin reset.

Well, excuse me!
Anyway, you keep telling me where things SHOULD be, I tell you where they ARE, whether you like it or not.

I keep telling you that it doesn't work. So either you have no idea what I am trying to explain, or my suspicion is you really don't know what the answer is. It is apparent that there is something wrong/missing/corrupted with my files. Just because you wish for something to be correct, doesn't make it so. So, I will go back to my last and hopefully final question..........If I do a factory reset, will that fix any missing/corrupted files?

Also, are you the only person I can request help from in this forum? Are there any other members that may have any other ideas?

Brenda, sorry for your frustration ... and my inability to communicate to you what I'm trying to say.

I think it's best all around that you wait for another member here with communication skills better than my own to carry on this thread with you.

Good luck.

Well, excuse me!
Anyway, you keep telling me where things SHOULD be, I tell you where they ARE, whether you like it or not.

I keep telling you that it doesn't work. So either you have no idea what I am trying to explain, or my suspicion is you really don't know what the answer is. It is apparent that there is something wrong/missing/corrupted with my files. Just because you wish for something to be correct, doesn't make it so. So, I will go back to my last and hopefully final question..........If I do a factory reset, will that fix any missing/corrupted files?

Also, are you the only person I can request help from in this forum? Are there any other members that may have any other ideas?

Brenda,
Try not to be rude but you MUST use the right terminology, you are in a community such this site and ask for help, you must use the right term so others can walk the same pace as yours.
Attitude like "... whether you like it or not." won't help you at all.

Anyway, back to your problem.
I think dhn has covered, but maybe you not understand, let me try to help you again. I try to go slow and in case you can't follow my step, please send the zip file so that I can put on my unit and capture image for you to see as ease.

1. "Root" folder is the folder that contains every other folders such "art", "photos", "itn", "schemes", "sounds", "voices", "North America", and every other files. When you click "up", you will be in "My Computer" with a list of Local C drive, your DVD drives, your network drives, and your Tomtom drive.
2. "photos" folder (it is in the root folder) is a place where you store your images. StartUp Splash screen has NOTHING to do with this.
3. The StartUp Splash screen image must be "splashw.bmp" (480x272) and place at the root folder.

If you knew me, you would know that I am not a rude person at all, I was only reacting to what I felt was a smug answer to me by dhn.

1. "Root" folder is the folder that contains every other folders such "art", "photos", "itn", "schemes", "sounds", "voices", "North America", and every other files. When you click "up", you will be in "My Computer" with a list of Local C drive, your DVD drives, your network drives, and your Tomtom drive. Yes, this is where I am.
2. "photos" folder (it is in the root folder) is a place where you store your images. StartUp Splash screen has NOTHING to do with this. All I can say, again, is whether it has nothing to do with it or not, this is where I find my TomTom startup images, on my computer AND in my TomTom. These 5 pictures which I uploaded from TomTom Home are listed as "slides" not "splashw.bmp. When I open change preferences - then start up preferences I can choose any of these 5 images any time and as often as I want to change them. No matter how I try to upload and add more images, they never show up in there next to the rest. There are no other images from my computer in that folder.
3. The StartUp Splash screen image must be "splashw.bmp" (480x272) and place at the root folder.All images that I have are "slides", when I try to rename them to splashw.bmp, it does not work.

Last edited:
3. The StartUp Splash screen image must be "splashw.bmp" (480x272) and place at the root folder.All images that I have are "slides", when I try to rename them to splashw.bmp, it does not work.[/QUOTE]

I have never tried to change my splash screen nor do I know everything you've tried but let me offer a suggestion. Simply taking a standard graphic file (jpg or gif) and renaming it with a .bmp extension does not change the file characteristics. Assuming your graphics program that you cropped your picture down to 480x272 allows it, save the file as a bitmap. If it does not support that function you can do it through Microsoft Paint. Then place the bitmap file into your root directory and see if that works.

3. The StartUp Splash screen image must be "splashw.bmp" (480x272) and place at the root folder.All images that I have are "slides", when I try to rename them to splashw.bmp, it does not work.

I have never tried to change my splash screen nor do I know everything you've tried but let me offer a suggestion. Simply taking a standard graphic file (jpg or gif) and renaming it with a .bmp extension does not change the file characteristics. Assuming your graphics program that you cropped your picture down to 480x272 allows it, save the file as a bitmap. If it does not support that function you can do it through Microsoft Paint. Then place the bitmap file into your root directory and see if that works.[/QUOTE]

Hi, I've tried changing it in Paint as well, to no avail. Here is an outline of what is happening, or not happening, lol
1) Many, many months ago I uploaded startup screens from TT home. They are still in my unit preferences. There are 5 of them that I can change anytime and as often as I want to.
2) Now, when I upload new startup images from TT home, they no longer end up in my unit along with the other images. I don't know what changed or why, but that is what I would like to fix.
Oh also, I have the same problem with the shut down image as well. When I upload an image from TT home, it doesn't make it onto my unit either.

Bnewton,

Do you have any Voice programs on your PC that I can talk to you through so I can guide you in real time? There are a few that i use and are easy and free. If you'd want to try that route, Id be willing to help you. You can send me a messege if you want or post here.
Ike

I have a question. After reading this topic several times in order not to miss anything (which I hope I havent), are you using a SD card with your CURRENT setup? Only 2 possiblities as I see it now.
1. You downloaded the images onto your SD [secure digital card] (when HOME first starts it asks you which Device and if you selected External, thats where the images went) and now your not using your SD card, or vice-versa.
2. There is NO current splashw.bmp file in your main TomTom folder. When you added a 480pixel by 272pixel 24bit BMP file that was SAVED AS splashw into your main folder of your TomTom, did it ask you if you wanted to OVER-WRITE the exsisting image? If not, then you didnt have a startup image in the correct place. If it did ask, then you have some other issue that we need to figure out.
I feel your frustration and we do want to help, its just that it can be hard over the internet.

Ike

I have a question. After reading this topic several times in order not to miss anything (which I hope I havent), are you using a SD card with your CURRENT setup? Only 2 possiblities as I see it now.
1. You downloaded the images onto your SD [secure digital card] (when HOME first starts it asks you which Device and if you selected External, thats where the images went) and now your not using your SD card, or vice-versa.
2. There is NO current splashw.bmp file in your main TomTom folder. When you added a 480pixel by 272pixel 24bit BMP file that was SAVED AS splashw into your main folder of your TomTom, did it ask you if you wanted to OVER-WRITE the exsisting image? If not, then you didnt have a startup image in the correct place. If it did ask, then you have some other issue that we need to figure out.
I feel your frustration and we do want to help, its just that it can be hard over the internet.

Ike

Good morning,
Yes, I am using a SD card. I never remove it.
No, it never asks to overwrite my existing image.
Just a question though, when you go into your TomTom, go to change preferences - page 5 of 8 - start-up preferences - continue where I left off, done - do you wish to change the start-up image, yes ------- Do you have pictures in there that you can choose from? If you do, are they "slides". Mind you, these "slides" are nothing I created,, they came from TomTom Home. When I uploaded them, it never asked if I wanted to overwrite anything, it would just place them there for me to use whenever and as often as I wanted. I could be on the road, nowhere near a computer and change the start up every 5 minutes if I want to. I currently have 5 slides and it looks like I could fit 10 more onto that page. That is what I am trying to do.
Maybe my 720 is different than everyone elses. Maybe TomTom used to have that feature and took it away during an update, thereby messing up my splashw and antitheft files. I've tried creating splashw and antitheft files myself, but that doesn't work for me either.
Thanks for your empathy, because it has been very frustrating. I never meant for what I thought was a simple question to turn into something to upset anyone, including myself.

This might be a crazy suggestion but have you looked in contenets on my computer via TT Home,
Just perhaps the pictures you downloaded are on your computer but not yet loaded on your 720?

Ask a Question