New One XL.S goes to sleep every 15 sec

TomTom Model(s)
One XL-S
Tried out the new toy on the way home from the office today.

23 mile drive, 'bout halfway home the sucker starts going black every fifteen seconds. Have to tap it to wake it up.

The audio part kept right up with progress but the picture just couldn't make the trip with the rest of us.

Is this a matter of some kind of internal setting or do I need to be making arrangements to get TT (Newegg) to send me another one?

Last edited:
Check your Safety Preferences. There's a choice to turn off the map display above certain speeds or always or never.

Check your Safety Preferences. There's a choice to turn off the map display above certain speeds or always or never.

Thanks for responding, Adagio.

The only two items that are checked are "warn when driving faster than allowed", and "warn not to leave the device in the car."

Wait...I found it and "never" is selected.

Interestingly, I've had it lying on the desk for about three minutes now and the display has stayed on full bright.

***No sooner had I made that last comment than it flickered once and went blank.

Last edited:
I think the setting is under "Battery Saving Preferences".

Is "Never Turn Off Screen" checked? It's probably set to "Turn off Screen Between Instructions"......

Last edited:
I think the setting is under "Battery Saving Preferences".

Is "Never Turn Off Screen" checked? It's probably set to "Turn off Screen Between Instructions"......

You're correct. I stumbled on it accidentally, selected "never..." and things are good.

Thanks for responding.:)

Ask a Question