New Member - Question

Hello everyone. I havnt quite made the a purchase (yet), but I'd love to get an opinion.

I'm looking to get a TT Unit for my Wife's car. I definetly want traffic information included. I've narrowed my search down to the 720, 730 or 730T.

Currently Amazon has a 730T for $299 with I believe free next day shipping. But from what I read, there isnt a difference between the 720 and 730 series.

Am I better off getting the 720? And how do I get traffic updates to it? I understand it gets updates via GPRS, so does it bluetooth to the phone?

Thanks for your input, its greatly appreciated.

Firstly, welcome aboard. I'm sure you can find a ton of help in here.
Secondly, this section is only for Introduction, so just say hello, introduce yourself and out. Ask question in the right room and you surely get many instant feedback.
Thirdly, just for you, as a newbie:
720 is the oldest of 3 models you listed.
730 offers Voice Input Address. That's the only thing differential itself and GO720 (plus the outlook color)
730T is the one with built-in TRAFFIC Receiver.
If you wants to get traffic update like you said, you must have a "T", either 730T (built-in receiver) or 730 + T (buy an external traffic receiver).

I believe the traffic receivers are all external - they only come bundled in the "T" offerings.

When you plug them in, you are supposed to trigger a one year traffic subscription.

There is a separate service under TT Plus Services. It uses a bluetooth connection to TT servers through a cell/PDA device with a data plan.

Coverage for traffic is much broader under the latter, but it requires a data plan with your cell carrier. If you don't otherwise need data services, it is a much more expensive option. If you already have a data plan - it is not. It also requires a separate TomTom traffic subscription and a compatible device.

Other then that, 7xx devices and 9xx devices are essentially the same after you update the applications and maps on the X20 devices (both free - except you need to do the maps in the first 30 days).

If you may have use for the European maps - the 9xx series would be the better buy.

Ask a Question