new member, some questions :-D

hi all!! I picked up a tomtom 510 off of woot.com last night (before they all sold out!). It was such a great deal I had to get one ^_^. I hav ea few questions...

I have been browsing around looking for map updates already (I live in the USA, Minnesota) and am curious what is the newest 'map pack' ? How big, file wise, should it be? How much space can my tomtom hold? I was browsing around on http://www.gps-poi-us.com/ and was wondering if I pick up the one from Minnesota it will work...and if it does, how?

How does the traffic antenna work? I was told it will work for 3 months (for the three month trial) and stop working because TT doesn't have it setup for subscriptions?

enlighten me on what I can do or everyone thinks I should do with my TT!!!!

welcome vivi,

The latest map version is 665. you might be eligable for a free upgrade DVD. Check tomtom.com/maps and plug in your device code.

As for the space on your 510, I'm not sure, I have a ONE but if you check my signature, it has links to the manuals (which do not come with the devices ironically enough) so you might find that answer there.

Traffic... well that's another can of worms i'll let someone else answer... ;)

welcome to the site!!

that'll try to auto install when you load HOME and have your device connected...I sugest ou don't allow it the first time, and make a complete backup of your device FIRST. then update...

I know it's illegal to have my GPS mounted from my window...will the mount work on the dash? Or should I purchase another mount for my dash area? I have a 2001 VW Jetta 1.8t

where are you that you can't have it mounted on the windshield?
my ONE is on my window... it only came with the suction cup mount so that's where it goes for now.

There are other mounting applications you can try. Have you looked through the forums?

I'm going to move this post to the 510 forum.

It is illegal to have it mounted on the windshield...I actually got pulled over today for too dark of tint and speeding (talked myself out of a ticket) and since I had a cop handy I asked him if I can mount it on the window and he said no, it's illegal in minnesota, you can mount it on the dash though...its a Minnesota law.

will the suction work on a dash?

Last edited:
Yikes!

well i would say the suction would work onthe dash if your dash isn't pourus... I guess find a smooth spot if you have one, or look for a new mount kit. Like I said, mount kit info is all over this forum, so I won't bother reposting about it. Just do a search on "mount". ;)

Hello Vivi and welcome.
I received a free dashboard disk when I puchased a HR Global mount. I already have the disk and it's no use to me. If you need it I will send it to you free of charge. Just email me your address and it's yours.

In CA it's also illegal to have it on the windshield.
Here is the link to view pictures of my setup.

Hello Vivi and welcome.
I received a free dashboard disk when I puchased a HR Global mount. I already have the disk and it's no use to me. If you need it I will send it to you free of charge. Just email me your address and it's yours.

In CA it's also illegal to have it on the windshield.
Here is the link to view pictures of my setup.

oh wow, that is very generous! That thing looks perfect on a disk.

I will email you my address!!

Ask a Question