New Maps

TomTom Model(s)
720, 330S
I'm not sure if it has been posted about already, but it looks like the map maker company TeleAtlas is planning on making 3D maps of major cities in the near future. They're releasing major European cities in July, and US cities next year. I think the 3D map idea seems pretty cool and will make these things even more realistic!

More info:
http://sev.prnewswire.com/computer-electronics/20070503/NETH03903052007-1.html#

I'm not sure if it has been posted about already, but it looks like the map maker company TeleAtlas is planning on making 3D maps of major cities in the near future. They're releasing major European cities in July, and US cities next year. I think the 3D map idea seems pretty cool and will make these things even more realistic!

More info:
http://sev.prnewswire.com/computer-electronics/20070503/NETH03903052007-1.html#
true but I can't see through buildings. It's easier when I can see the turn I have to make from 3 blocks behind (or even farther in 2D mode).

true but I can't see through buildings. It's easier when I can see the turn I have to make from 3 blocks behind (or even farther in 2D mode).

Nex, Have you seen more info about this? If you have, please share!

I think the maps are geared more towards pedestrians. I'm sure TeleAtlas has configured the 3D maps so they can easily be read if you?re driving and the route goes behind a building. I don't think they would do it if it made the maps harder to understand.

Nex, Have you seen more info about this? If you have, please share!

I think the maps are geared more towards pedestrians. I'm sure TeleAtlas has configured the 3D maps so they can easily be read if you?re driving and the route goes behind a building. I don't think they would do it if it made the maps harder to understand.
Here you go

http://www.pressoffice.be/att/file_655.wmv

3 d maps

looking at the example through the link, this would be a major step in the GPS area. It would be a major improvement in navigating unfamiliar city streets - especially in Europe (or downtown Boston, etc.), where the streets are not laid out in a grid.

Question is - how big would the map files be? Might make the 20 g HD on the 910s really useful.

While the 3d maps are a cool idea...I hope that they concentrate on the accuracy of the 2d maps first. I'd hate to see basic quality suffer for a 'gee wiz' effect....

Doesn't matter if the city is laid out on a grid or not. 3D maps (without buildings) still work well. They need to improve the mapping quality of Canada. A lot of the country isn't mapped and there are still major errors in metro areas.

Ask a Question