new maps

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730
i noticed that tomtom came out with new maps. does anyone happen to know if they ever fixed the issue of not being able to input symbols like dashes?

here in hawaii we have street addresses like "12-345 Main Street". other manufacturer's gps devices allow for these dashes but tomtom didn't. when i spoke to a tomtom support rep, he told me that they are aware of the problem and will be fixed in a future map offering.

well the new map offering is here so just wondering what they fixed besides topography.

thanks for your help!

Unfortunately, it appears TomTom is still not addressing the issue of not being able to input a dash into an address.

Maybe if everyone would email Tomtom, that they're trying to find an address with a "-" in it, the flood would prompt them to do something.

yeah i do know that it's been an issue for a while and i know i'm not the first to ask about it. i guess i didn't think it would be too difficult of a fix but i guess i could be wrong.

as much as i hate the idea, i might have to consider "jumping ship" to a competitor's gps. after all what good is a gps unit i can't input my destination address correctly! i hate the interface of other gps units though. looks like a cheap cartoon. but at least it would get me to where i was going...sigh...:(

does anyone know if/when they will address this issue? i know a lot of you folks have some pretty good insight so i was wondering. like i stated before, i spoke to a tomtom rep and they know about the issue and they claim that they are working on it. just wondering if anyone knows the scoops.

thanks!

It's a shame that TT has not addressed the problem as yet. Certainly understandable if you were to move to a competitor's model that does allow for dashes in addresses for your state.

example

does anyone know if/when they will address this issue? i know a lot of you folks have some pretty good insight so i was wondering. like i stated before, i spoke to a tomtom rep and they know about the issue and they claim that they are working on it. just wondering if anyone knows the scoops.

thanks!

Really weird... I tried playing around with it, I can't really find a work-around for that. Where did Hawaii come up with that screwy system, anyway?

Last edited:
Really weird... I tried playing around with it, I can't really find a work-around for that. Where did Hawaii come up with that screwy system, anyway?

I think it's inspired by the Japanese. In Japan, they have block/neighborhood addresses, then there's a second layer of addressing, to reach a residence on that block.

I haven't been to Hawaii in some time. Does anybody know for sure?

Also, as for Utah addresses, they also have two numbers in them. For example, "200 North 100 East". These are coordinates: the town center is at or near the zero point, and each block outward adds 100 units. It works like latitude and longitude. I believe the unofficial name for this system is "Mormon GPS" :)

Josh

I've also seen mention on alpha-numeric addresses in Illinois and New York, so it's not as tho it's extremely rare.

In areas with hyphenated numbers (eg Queens, NY), tomtom just ignores the hyphen. Usually most cities don't have a 63-50 Roosevelt Ave and a 6350 Roosevelt Ave at the save time.

I areas where there is a 100S main, and a 100N main, tomtom identifies the address as two separate streets: S Main and N main. Then you type in the 100 as the numeric-only address.

So far, the only place I've seen that tomtom couldn't find a workaround was rural Illinois, where the route number preceeded the street name. So an address would be 6S 325 Bridlespur Dr. Tomtom thinks the entire street is S Bridlespur Dr, and the only address is house #6. Google can't figure it out either, so I suspect it is a teleatlas issue, not a tomtom one.

also, when this whole issue came up with non-alphanumeric characters, there were other parts of the states where they also used different characters...so hawaii is a little unusual, but NOT unique. i don't remember off the top of my head what those characters were in which states, but, like the dash for some hawaii addresses, they needed non-alphanumeric characters which they couldn't input.

i guess the biggest thing for me was i didn't think it would be that difficult of a fix. after all, i don't think the people at garmin or magellan employ far smarter people than tomtom...do you?

on a side note my friend showed me his garmin nuvi yesterday. i hated the "cartoony" interface as well as the voices. they sounded extremely choppy and robotic. to me, tomtom has a much better experience. now if they just addressed people's concerns. i'm not asking for them to put unusual bells and whistles. just offer the same features that their competition does. i would think that's common sense. my friend with the garmin was a loyal tomtom user for many years...in fact he was the one who turned me on to tomtom. he himself was dissappointed that he had to give up tomtom to get something else that would allow him to input dashes (he lives in an area where all the address have those dashes).

c'mon tomtom, please get with the program! i don't want something fancy! just something functional!

In areas with hyphenated numbers (eg Queens, NY), tomtom just ignores the hyphen. Usually most cities don't have a 63-50 Roosevelt Ave and a 6350 Roosevelt Ave at the save time.

just fyi we've tried inputting the address without the dash...it doesn't work here. :(

What's a sample address? I'll check if I can find an appropriate workaround?

95-723 Lanikuhana Avenue
Mililani, HI 96789

currently my workaround has been to use google maps and upload the data to my TT. it's fine if i can plan out a trip, but obviously can't when i'm out on the road...

We are in a similar situation here in some Chicago suburbs. We have a lot of addresses in unincorporated areas that are in the form of 1N530 Something Road. These are also impossible to input on my TomTom.

95-723 Lanikuhana Avenue
Mililani, HI 96789

currently my workaround has been to use google maps and upload the data to my TT. it's fine if i can plan out a trip, but obviously can't when i'm out on the road...

No luck, looks like tomtom didn't concatenate the space as it does in NYC. It just truncated the address. The entire street is 95 Lanikuhana Ave.

You can put in the 95 to get to the general area, but otherwise if you go somewhere frequently set it up as a favorite via "point on map". Report the numbering via mapshare and teleatlas mapinsight. The least they could do is concatenate so that 95723 works.

It's interesting how google maps (also sourced via teleatlas) reports the queens and hawaii hyphenated addresses the exact same way. Google is 1 map newer than tomtom, so there's a slight chance it will be fixed with the May tomtom map. Post again in May, and someone on the map subscription service can check it out for you.

I areas where there is a 100S main, and a 100N main, tomtom identifies the address as two separate streets: S Main and N main. Then you type in the 100 as the numeric-only address.

So far, the only place I've seen that tomtom couldn't find a workaround was rural Illinois, where the route number preceeded the street name. So an address would be 6S 325 Bridlespur Dr. Tomtom thinks the entire street is S Bridlespur Dr, and the only address is house #6. Google can't figure it out either, so I suspect it is a teleatlas issue, not a tomtom one.

Wow you just brought back memories hehe. I was born and raised in Queens NY. I moved from there to FL in 2001. I grew up on the corner of Roosevelt and Parsons Blvd, then moved to 35th Ave and Parsons (1 block away from Northern Blvd)

I REALLY miss the addressing method that they use there. My old address was 144-32 35th Ave. When ever anyone gave me an address in NY, mapquest was rarely ever needed since you can find the address by just reading it. 144 would be the street number and 32 would be the house number, and 35th Ave would be... well.. the Ave.. All you had to do was drive to 144th street and 35th ave. Sometimes the 1st and 3rd number set are switched, so my old address was 38-25 Parsons Blvd, 38 being the ave (really named Roosevelt) and... Blah forget it, I give up trying to explain..lol

When I moved here to FL, I couldn't stand the fact that every street here is a NAME instead of a number. Without a GPS or mapquest I'm screwed.

Ask a Question