New maps

TomTom Model(s)
TT OneXL
Hi all-new here and looking for a solution . Last year i purchased 2 TT's ,one for me and another for my wife. One is a TomTom ONE XL and the other is a TomTom ONE XL S. Did not catch on to the 30 day upgrade until it was too late so i'm biting the bullet on that.

I have checked the maps installed and they are for Canada/US and are version 710.1575.They are definitely outdated and don't even show a major highway called The Red Hill Expressway.

I've been reading some threads here and see references to NEW MAPS (8.15) but also that the FIRMWARE on the One XL does not support it?? Not being compatible?
My questions:

Where do I look to see what FIRMWARE I HAVE?

Is NOW a good time to buy a new Canada/US map?

Where do I find WINDOWS EXPLORER to do the download as suggested rather than downloading to TomTom Home2

Do I purchase-download and install over what's already there or delete the current map and then install?

Do I need to get a SD card?

I need to get this done before feb 30 for a run to Florida.

My questions:

Where do I look to see what FIRMWARE I HAVE?

Tap the satellite bars and the next screen shows the version number. (tap the version number and the next screen shows the map installed, the version and the build.

Is NOW a good time to buy a new Canada/US map?

Good question. They are on sale for 30% off but that is usually the occurance just prior to the release of a new map, due perhaps in February

Where do I find WINDOWS EXPLORER to do the download as suggested rather than downloading to TomTom Home2

No, you've misread. You HAVE Windows Explorer as part of XP. You've read (correctly) that BACKUPS should be made using Explorer, not with Home's software. All maps and mapshares are downloaded using Home and installed using Home, which is TomTom's computer software.

Do I purchase-download and install over what's already there or delete the current map and then install?

Home is capable (at times) of overwriting existing [old] map with a newly dl map. That's why we say to BACKUP everything using Explorer prior to a firmware or map download.

Do I need to get a SD card?

Not mandatory

Uh.....no rush then :) :D

Also ... to expound a bit:

I don't know how familiar you are with computers, so in case your first question was asking "How do I find Windows Explorer on my computer"... you can do it many ways...

1. right click on "My Computer" and choose "Explore" - or -
  2. right click on the Start button and choose "Explore" - or -
  3. press and hold the windows key on the bottom left of your keyboard and at the same time press the "E" key.
Once you're there you will see (under "My Computer" in that tree type view) a few drives. Your C: drive... your DVD or CD ROM is probably your D: drive.. well if you keep going down the list with your TomTom connected to the computer you will see whatever drive letter next to the "TomTom" name. I will attach a photo.

Now you can double click it and treat it just like a hard drive. Just make a spare folder on your desktop or something... browse into your TomTom.. edit-select all and then copy it all... then go back to your spare folder you just made... and paste it all in there.

And as far as finding out if even the newer map has the expressway (sometimes updates take a LLLOOONNNGGG time to get in), just ask one of us to try to find it for you. We can tell you if it's in our map and what version our map is. All we need are some coordinates or an address nearby or something! If it's not in our map than you can make your own decision if you want to wait for the next map (when the 30% off deal goes away).

Attachments

• TomTom unit in explorer.jpg
    TomTom unit in explorer.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 382

Take your time. Feb 30 won't be here for [out of range error] days.

Seriously though, I would wait probably until the last week of February. Given when the current (815) maps were released, I'm fairly certain that there will be another release before then. Don't wait until the last day or two though, as TomTom's servers are sometimes (often?) flaky.

Thanks for the info guys. I did the backup and have it in a file on my desktop.

DHN- I meant to type FEB 1:)

Petrite - the road i mentioned has been there since fall of 07.I don't know the area well enough to give you much info except what's on the net."The Red Hill Valley Parkway (called the Red Hill Creek Expressway during the earlier planning stages) is a municipal expressway running through Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, connecting the Lincoln M. Alexander Parkway to the Queen Elizabeth Way near Hamilton Harbour. It is a four-lane freeway (four plus a truck climbing lane on the escarpment crossing section) that unofficially opened on November 3, 2007."

Anyhoo it doesn't show on either of the TT's we have that are equipped with APP 8.010 VERSION 710.1575

I am in Canada.The link I found here---http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/index.php?Lid=4 shows the map for U.S and Canada on sale at $74.95 U.S. Would this be where Canadian orders would be places?

Thanks again for your timely responses and information.

Cheers

That would be the link.

Too bad our buck has tanked against the US dollar the past year, eh? :eek:

Thanks for the info guys. I did the backup and have it in a file on my desktop.

DHN- I meant to type FEB 1:)

Petrite - the road i mentioned has been there since fall of 07.I don't know the area well enough to give you much info except what's on the net."The Red Hill Valley Parkway (called the Red Hill Creek Expressway during the earlier planning stages) is a municipal expressway running through Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, connecting the Lincoln M. Alexander Parkway to the Queen Elizabeth Way near Hamilton Harbour. It is a four-lane freeway (four plus a truck climbing lane on the escarpment crossing section) that unofficially opened on November 3, 2007."

Anyhoo it doesn't show on either of the TT's we have that are equipped with APP 8.010 VERSION 710.1575

I am in Canada.The link I found here---http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/index.php?Lid=4 shows the map for U.S and Canada on sale at $74.95 U.S. Would this be where Canadian orders would be places?

Thanks again for your timely responses and information.

Cheers

It's on the routes. tomtom site but I don't know if it uses internal maps or Google maps
Code:
http://routes.tomtom.com/t/#/map/Qew%2C%20Hamilton%2C%20ON%2C%20CA%4043.23446%2C-79.70832/?center=43.23446%2C-79.70832&zoom=13&ui=10

It's on the routes. tomtom site but I don't know if it uses internal maps or Google maps

Google and TT get the maps from Teleatlas. M$ and Yahoo (and I believe Garmin) get them from Navtech.

I know of an intersection that was realigned about 5+ years. Teleatlas has it wrong, however google satellite images show the correct alignment (as the picture is newer).

HTML:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=40.311403,-74.566333&spn=0.001505,0.003085&z=19

Navtech (via Yahoo! or M$) has it correct.

Ask a Question