New Maps....old street names?

I'll make up the road names to protect the innocent, but I have a question for the gurus out there. The below refers to the new (665) North America maps

Before we got 9-1-1 service in my area (probably 8 or so years ago), the road I live on was known as State Route 433. After we got 9-1-1 service, they "named" all the roads so emergency service could find the houses. So my road then became Suffolk-Trenton Rd. The previous version of the TomTom maps (660) had my road named properly (Suffolk-Trenton) but unfortunately the old map IS out of date and doesn't show a lot of the new roads built in the last couple years in my area

I just updated to the latest maps (v665.1293) a couple days ago and in putting in my home address I notice it wasn't finding 5935 Suffolk-Trenton rd. So I tried 5935 State Route 433 (the OLD OLD name) and sure enough, it found it. The good thing is, all the new roads they've built in the past few years are now in the maps.

However, I also notice a lot of other roads (both in the previous maps and the new maps) instead of being refered to by their name - like Dresser Rd - are listed as County Route 40 (which no one knows the road by - even the locals). Is there some option I'm missing to get road "names" to display vs. route or highway numbers? (these aren't highways by any stretch of the imagination)

For a temporary patch, if you spare space on the SD card, you can use both maps in your TomTom:
1- Rename the old map folder rename it to something like North_America_Old
2- Find the file .pna in that folder, edit the the first line like
ID=North_America_Old.pna
3- Write that folder to you SD card

Then you can switch between 2 maps.

I've got both maps on a 4G card, but I don't think I'll ever be switching back because there are so many new roads missing. I was hoping there was some setting I was missing to turn off route numbers or something. It's like they took a step forward and a half step back with these new maps.

You can build your custom menu to put the 'Switch Map' option on the first screen, so you can make a quick draw.
Not ideal but better than nothing.

Ask a Question