8 month old maps

TomTom Model(s)
My 2535 tells me that my maps are 8 months old. Device says the version is 885.4102 with a release date of 1/2012. Managing content says New items - "Your navigation device is up-to-date" but says My Maps - "USA, Canada & Mexico Version: v8.85 Active on your device". If I click "install', I get a "not enough available memory" error. The update is 2.7 GB. Available free memory is 490.62 MB. How do I fix this problem?

Those are 8 month old maps. We're on 895 now, so it's right that it should be offering you something new by now (sounds like you missed 890). I assume you have the 2535TM and not the 2535TM WTE version with the Europe maps added.

I assume that MyTomTom is trying to give you that map to replace your 885 version. The 2.7GB size is about right for the new map, so I'm guessing that it's the map that's next to the 'Install' button. Does it also say USA, Canada & Mexico, or ONLY USA & Canada? I ask, because exact replacements should be automatic, but if it thinks you're trying to add a 'different' map, there may be an issue where the device says both won't fit together in the available space.

A bit of clarification, and then we're off to the races ... or Tech Support.

I have the 2535M. It does say USA, Canada, & Mexico and it is the map that is next to the install button. I went ahead and attached a screenshot to this response. Figured that would make things easier.

Attachments

• tomtom.png
    tomtom.png
    72.9 KB · Views: 462
Call CS at 866-486-6866 for assistance. Also, did you register the map activation when you first got the unit? There should have been a card marked IMPORTANT__DO NOT DISCARD in the package of materials.

Agreed, dhn.

@oxinferno
The install button next to your map is grayed out, indicating that there is nothing to install. It will be black (like the Mapshare button was above before you selected it) when you're actually able to install something.

It is important that you find that bit of paper that dhn talks about. At present, you do not yet seem to have activated your free map subscription. The good news is that I don't think the 2535 was ever sold without a free map subscription here in the U.S., so even without it, you may well find a sympathetic ear on the other end, but DO make that phone call.

Okay, we've got this partially fixed! I never took everything out of the box, so I never saw the paper with the lifetime maps activation code. I figured since the website was allowing me to download community map updates that everything was already set up. After calling customer support to reactivate the expired code, we were back in business.

But...I still can't get the new map! Instead of just showing up under my maps, it now shows up under New Items as well and the version is 8.95. If I click on the black "install" button, it changes to a grey "updating" button with a progress wheel indicator on the button as well as above the button. After a few seconds, it changes back to the black "install" button. The customer support rep had not encountered this issue before and was going to contact me by phone or email if he was able to find out any information about this. I thought I'd update you guys on the status and see if maybe anyone here could help.

Thanks for getting me partially through this! We got through user error to what seems to be a real issue.

You may need a 2nd level support person to remove the existing map from the device and **then** allowing for the install of 895.

First level support often doesn't know about the procedure or have the tools available to do so.

I'm back to getting the "Not enough memory available - You currently don't have enough free memory available on your device to install this content."

I'm trying customer support again...

They spoke with another department and I should hear back from them within three business days...

I'm back to getting the "Not enough memory available - You currently don't have enough free memory available on your device to install this content."

I'm trying customer support again...
Yes, that is an indication that the device thinks it should be adding the new map instead of replacing the old one. Level 2 should be able to run a job that will delete the map from your unit so that the new one will install.

... counting in a weekend, too.

Ask a Question