Delete old maps from HDD

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom XL-335TM; Map 935.5811
Hi,

I searched the forum before posting this question but couldn't find where it's been discussed before. I apologize if it's already been discussed...

I'd like to free up some HDD space by deleting some of the old maps in my 'download' - 'complete' section under TomTom - Home of Documents and Settings. I noticed there are 5 sub-dirs that contain maps starting with 'North_America'; then North_America-1; up to North_America-4. (North_America-4 being the latest map or 880). I'd like to delete just the older 3 maps and keep 880 and 875 (delete first 3 listed). Can I safely delete the sub-dirs "North America.... North America-1 and North America-2? (see image below of directory structure). Or... will doing this mess up my next map update? Maybe the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 are important for my next map update... don't know.

Thanks.

Attachments

• TT_maps.jpg
    TT_maps.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 537
No you can dump the old ones, Rick. Or you can copy them to a dvd and them dump them. But they just take up space on the hard drive.

Thanks dhn. I just wanted to be sure the numbers 1, 2, 3, not being there wouldn't mess things up at next map update. I perform an image backup of my internal HDD every week (250 gig external HDD), and due to overlap – before it deletes an older image 3 back – it's just getting closer to being full.

Thanks... better safe than sorry. :)

Chuckle. I hadn't been paying attention to the load on my C drive, and actually found myself in a ditch a couple of weeks ago trying to pull down a large file. Had to go in and lay waste to a really big stack of these 2GB files that I'd been ignoring for quite some time. Finally cloned to a bigger drive on the "GPS machine".

I do keep the most recent one there, just in case, even though I've got a lifetime map subscription.

TomTom Home has a way to change the default drive where files are stored. I've changed mine to another drive which has plenty of free space (a 2TB drive).

In TT Home, click "Tools", "Home Preferences", and select the "Folders" tab. You can change any or all of the folder locations. Be sure there's a check in "Move the current contents to the new folder" and then click "Done". All current files will be moved to the newly selected drive and/or folder and new files will be placed there until you change it again.

Ask a Question