New Maps (7.15) = loss of POI

TomTom Model(s)
Go 300
I just upgraded my 720's map (North America 2GB) to version 7.15 and now I see that many previously built-in points of interest are gone... WalMart's, churches, restaurants, etc.

The list of POI categories is much smaller than it used to be.

Anybody else have this happen?

I just upgraded my 720's map (North America 2GB) to version 7.15 and now I see that many previously built-in points of interest are gone... WalMart's, churches, restaurants, etc.

The list of POI categories is much smaller than it used to be.

Anybody else have this happen?

Not clear what you mean by 'built in' but ....

If you're referring to the poi's that came with the map compared with the one's you had with 7.10 AND on the 7.10 you had gotten hold of the poi.dat file that was meant for the 920 and was about 270 megs AND if you have that map folder backed up on your hd, then you can simply copy over the poi.dat file and crpoi.dat file from the backed up 710 map folder into the 715 map folder, overwriting the existing .dat files there.

On the other hand, if you meant poi files you had downloaded from various sources and put in your 710 folder, then simply copy the .ov2 and associated .bmp file (if it exists) from the 710 to the 715 map folder.

Finally, if you are simply comparing the poi file that came with the 710 map with the equivalent that exists with the 715, well I don't know what to say. My understanding was the 715 poi file was slightly greater than the 710 file .... so it should have included all the 710 had plus a bit more.

(my gut feeling is that what I outlined in my first paragraph is the mostly likely resolution).

I noticed this also, I tried searching for the chiropractor that my GF goes to and it wasn't on the map. It was previously on the other map I had before the 7.15 update.

Wow DHN, You are good!

I had the big poi files before and don't now. My problem is that the big ones won't fit on my 720. Is there a way to run them from the SD card or is there some other way that I can make room on my 720?

Wow DHN, You are good!

I had the big poi files before and don't now. My problem is that the big ones won't fit on my 720. Is there a way to run them from the SD card or is there some other way that I can make room on my 720?

Since they must reside in the same folder as the map, if your sd card is 4 gigs, then move the map folder to the sd card and then copy the bigger poi.dat file into that folder.

If your card is only 2 gigs, then you'll need to strip stuff you might not need out of the map folder on internal or move things like a mp3 folder or a photo folder to the card; alternately, you may have voices you don't use. Just hunt around .Make sure you have a complete (Explorer) backup of your unit's contents before you start the stripping ... just in case.

Download link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VYMPHI6I

This is the newest "biggest" POI set off a 920 [works x20's]

Incorporating these replacement files may not
fit with map residing in internal memory.
The additional space required is appx. 300mb.

You might consider purchasing an SD Card
and moving your map there if you don't have
enough room internally. 4gb is a good size.

The other option is to remove some files from
your internal memory. Typically the first to go
are some cspeech_xx.dat files from the map folder.
You could delete the ones from states you don't
think you'll need to access.

Install Notes:

*** Always make a back up of your existing files. ***

1. Hook the TT device to your PC via its USB connection.

2. After home opens you can make a backup if you are going to,
then minimize it.

3. Extract the two files from this archive to your desktop.

4. Open My Computer and you should see your TT Device listed
as a mass storage device along with your hard drives and
cd roms. You'll see two drives, one is the internal memory
and the other is your SD Card if you have on installed.

5. Open the drive where you have your North America map
folder is stored.

6. Open the folder and replace the files poi.dat & crpoi.dat
with the ones included in this archive.

7. Enjoy a hell of a lot more poi's on your TomTom.

I'm curious is this poi file set from map version 710.1609 or from a new v715 map for a 920?

Actually, i'm not quite certain.

I just happened to find it.......... did a "test run" [after a backup,of course]

I do know it's a huge departure from the smaller one currently avail from TT in regular downloads for my 720

My guess, is there's really only one true "big ass" POI file, and this is most likely it.

just downloaded this file on the chance it might be the newer poi set....however, it's exactly the same size as the earlier one posted a few weeks ago...

I'm curious is this poi file set from map version 710.1609 or from a new v715 map for a 920?

Just compared the one I link'd to *[424MB]......to a 920 w/7.15 map *[442MB]

I don't see any difference.

* includes crpoi and poi

Just compared the one I link'd to *[424MB]......to a 920 w/7.15 map *[442MB]

ZIPPED or unzipped? Makes a difference...

920 POIs were just under 300mb, so I would assume that this is "newer"...

**EDIT**
I just checked my 720 (with 920 POIs) and the "older" poi is ~263mb where this one (megaupload link) is 276MB... Not really sure what has been added in this "newer" POI...

Last edited:
Ok I did some comparing, these are the numbers I get
from my posting a while back of the 1609 POI files:

crpoi.dat - 169,182,083 bytes
poi.dat - 276,320,345 bytes

ChillyCat's Post:

crpoi.dat - 169,182,083 bytes
poi.dat - 276,320,345 bytes

The instructions ChillyCat posted are the same as the one in my file set,
so I would think they both link to a set of v710.1609 files.

Ask a Question