New map says it installs but doesn't

I have a Go 700 and just upgraded Home from version 1 to 2.1.2.121. Home had me upgrade the app to 7.162. That all went fine. I purchased an updated map of North America (version 710). This took many hours to download to my computer but eventually completed. When I tried to add it to my device, Home complained that there wasn't enough room and walked me through deleting the current map first, so that there would be enough space, and the delete went fine, but actually installing the new map ... says it completes successfully but does not actually work. It briefly says it is installing North_America-7.meta.dct, then says it is done. If I view contents of device, it shows no map.

On my computer under TomTom\Home\Downloads\map\NorthAmerica I see North_America.zip which is 1.9 GB, but WinZip can not open this file. There is also a North_America.toc file and an activation_map_50022.cab (1kb) as well as 2 GIF files.

Suggestions?

On my computer under TomTom\Home\Downloads\map\NorthAmerica I see North_America.zip which is 1.9 GB, but WinZip can not open this file. There is also a North_America.toc file and an activation_map_50022.cab (1kb) as well as 2 GIF files.

Suggestions?

To be clear .....are you trying to install the map by using TomTom Home's: Items on my Computer--Selecting the Map and clicking the 'add' button and then the install button?

TomTom Home (2.2.1.58 now)
Add Maps, Traffic, Voices
Maps
North America has Location of My Computer
Add
see a Changing Content screen for a second or two while it says it is installing that .meta.dct file
it says Number of items installed: 1
but Show contents of my Go shows no maps

Since you mentioned Items On My Computer, I went looking for that option and found it.
It shows Maps:1 which has in it the North America map that I downloaded.
Add
see Changing Content screen - same as above
still Show contents of my Go shows no maps

I never see an "Install" button, only the "Add" button.

TomTom Home (2.2.1.58 now)
Add Maps, Traffic, Voices
Maps
North America has Location of My Computer
Add
see a Changing Content screen for a second or two while it says it is installing that .meta.dct file
it says Number of items installed: 1
but Show contents of my Go shows no maps

Since you mentioned Items On My Computer, I went looking for that option and found it.
It shows Maps:1 which has in it the North America map that I downloaded.
Add
see Changing Content screen - same as above
still Show contents of my Go shows no maps

I never see an "Install" button, only the "Add" button.

'Install' is in the bottom right of the screen, isn't it?

Are you sure you have enough space on your device? Hook the unit up to the PC and then open Windows Explorer. You should see your device as one of the drive letters. Right click on it and choose properties. Examine the free space and make sure you have enough free...

2.31 GB free. The map is 1.98 GB.

When you look on your PC in your download area, is the zip file something you can open with WinZip? I can't. But on the other hand where does that .dct file come from? Must be inside the zip?

Can a map be installed via Windows Explorer drag-n-drop?

Nothing in eventvwr. Does Home keep any log files I could look at?

Ask a Question