New 920 New Problem with Phone Book

Hi All,

I returned my 920 last Saturday due to problems using hands free on my phone (Sony K800i). Sometimes it would lock up the unit after a call, or refuse to give any audio (Directions) after the call had ended unless you turned the unit off then back on again.

So I have a new unit and so far it appears ok. However when I imported my phonebook it has put all the entries in Surname first, which I do not want, plus the previous unit did not do this it duplicated them as they are in my phone. Does anyone know of a work around, only I have 780 entries and I don't want to change them all manually.

The strange thing is the previous unit did not perform in this way, I am wondering whether this is an older or newer system. It now uses icons by the numbers to indicate whether they are Home, or office numbers which is an improvement. However I feel that the phonebook being Surname first is a backward step (For me anyway) especially as they are not like this in my phone anyway.

What is bugging me most is that the faulty 920 I returned to the shop was used in exactly the same way yet produced totally diffferent results!

I asked the 920 to retrieve the numbers from my phone, sure enough it did but with the Surname first with the icons to signify Home, Work etc. Whereas before there were no icons but the format was i.e. Harry Smith /M, Harry Smith/H, for mobile and home options.

Just checked on the contents of my go via the PC I am running version 14 of the "Phone connection" software.

All replies welcome,

SDM197.

Last edited:
wow that is strange.
Im not sure if this will help, but try to change the phonebook format from your phone and transfer the contacts. You might want to delete the ones from your tomtom first. You can also manually delete them by going to your contacts folder in your tomtom and locating the text file.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, this gets even stranger! I deleted the contacts imported again no change. I deleted again and as I was importing I had an incoming call, immediately I had finished the call the 920 announced it had finished importing the phone book.

I checked it and the names were put in the same way as the first unit, with First name first followed bya /M/H for Mobile or Home, so I was pleased. I then added another number to my phone, then asked the 920 to import the numbers again and guess what it changed them all to second name first with icons for home, office etc. At this point I have given up, and rolled over.

SDM197

Ask a Question