New 540TM will not turn on at all

First of all, thank you for this forum. Great information!
I was a previous Tom Tom owner. A One I think. Really old and basic. Had it for years until it recently died. Purchased a 540TM last week.Received it on Thursday 12/2/2010. Did the backup using Windows as suggested on Friday after fully charging the unit. Deleted some voices and cars. Was never able to get a map update. Kept getting the error message that the Tom Tom site was contacted, but that I was not receiving anything from the site. Tried this for three days. Nothing. Sent an e-mail to Tom Tom with the error code message and contents. We used the unit on Saturday night for some in town travel and it worked fine although the speed camera/lights were not accurate. Last night I entered in some addresses for an upcoming out of town trip. No issues. Then added a couple car symbols and also added a start up picture and closing picture from the Tom Tom site. Both worked fine once. The second time the screen froze on the startup picture. (71 Buick Riviera) and would not budge for almost 5 minutes. After holding down the on/off button for a while it then went to a completely neon green screen and eventually turned off. Never to start again. Holding down the on/off button for any length of time does not affect it. Tried plugging and unplugging it to the computer and the computer and (home) does not even register it. The green charge light is on but the USB does not see the unit. Left it to charge again over night. Still dead this morning. I don't see a reset button on this unit? Am I missing it? Suggestions? Purchased from Tiger Direct.
Thank you!
Rick

Welcome to TTF.

Good that you made the Explorer backup! :D

(there is no dedicated reset hole on that model. Holding the power button for 10-15 seconds does it on the unit).

Try doing the power button thing again. If it does start up, connect to the computer, format the unit. Don't use quickformat. Restore your Explorer backup.

BUT.........

If it doesn't turn on at all, I'd return it.

Also, when you say it doesn't turn on, are you saying it does turn on but won't boot up completely or are you saying that absolutely nothing happens, no screen activity at all? If the latter, then return it.

Nothing. Nada. Zilch

Thanks. Does not turn on at all. The only sign of life is the green power light. The computer does not register it at all so I can't restore. Tried the on/off button for various lengths of time from 5 seconds to over 70 seconds. Nothing. Plugging and unplugging to the computer does nothing except turn on the charge light. Really bummed about this. Flying to Chicago tomorrow, which is why I rushed to get this in the first place.

I miss my old "ONE". Can't tell you how many times that thing went flying off the windshield or dash in every state in the country and never let me down for years...

I hate paying for the rental car GPS...
Thanks again,
R

Bummer

And sadly it does not seem to be available at the $129 price point any longer! Called Tiger to exchange it and they don't even have it in stock now AND I'll have to wait as long as 10 days for refund. The 550 price seems to be dropping like a rock though. $99 at Amazon. Fair trade off in price for the fewer features I guess.

Just a suggestion...

If you're sure you're going to be refunded your money from TigerDirect, you might find a good deal at the local Target or BestBuy — or maybe Costco if you're a member. Just a though.

Sounds to me like an obvious hardware failure.

no luck

So far no luck with the 540. Seems like the prices have gone back up on the unit after Cyber Monday. $179 at Target. Costco has the 550 for $129 today. Have a trip tomorrow so will probably go for that one. The 540 was a nightmare before it crashed anyway. Multiple downloads and multiple changes did not take and had to be done over. Going to go with the simpler model and be done with it hopefully. Also if I get it at Costco I can return it same day without all of the shipping /refund hassle. With the performance of my old model I hate to give up on Tom Tom so fast, so one more try! We have Garmin GPS watch/running timers and they have not been perfect either, but at least Garmin helped us get throught the issues. I have not gotten a response from my e-mails to Tom Tom (2) yet. One more try!
Thanks for the input!

I just got a TomTom from Amazon, and it did the exact same thing. I wonder if they shipped a bunch of defective units??

I ordered mine through Crutchfield, $129, free shipping and no tax when they had NONE in stock. Crutchfied told me they would have a new batch by the 10th and they will ship me mine at that time. I am in no hurry and hopefully mine skipped the bad batch... if there was one.

Buydig.com and Beach Camera seem to be the cheapest at $149 right now followed by Crutchfield at $149.99.

New 550TM

I bit the bullet and bought a 550 from Costco. At least this way I figured if it did not work I could return it immediately and not have to wait for a refund.

It seems to be working fine so far. Taking it on a trip to Chicago today so we'll see!

Having the same issue as before though with down loads from Tom Tom. Most work fine, but when trying to do the Map update I get the following error message. Have been getting this since last Friday with the "old" 540 and now again with the new 550

Basically that I am connecting to Tom Tom Server but not receiving any data? My old and new access codes were accepted for the map updates and the Home keeps telling me that the update is needed...
As mentioned before I had sent an e-mail to Tom Tom which was never answered so I may have to break down and call them...

,ERROR: 2152398868/#http://download.tomtom.com/860/high...qxLx/XYfQKD tJyInCxOaVJuPi9d0PXFWZ248kogGCk=: Error from server: HOME was able to connect to the TomTom server but did not receive any data from the server.
HOME was able to connect to the TomTom server but did not receive any data from the server.
Error code: 2152398868 (NS_ERROR_NET_RESET)
URL: http://download.tomtom.com/860/high...CqxLx/XYfQKD tJyInCxOaVJuPi9d0PXFWZ248kogGCk=
Additional information: info = [object]
info.method = [string] GET
info.resumeOffset = [number] 1105191416
info.resumeDownloadEnabled = [boolean] true
info.entityID = [string] %22dc7fce940b5c684a2b47b59511ca3d49:1289957791%22/1745181777/Fri, 12 Nov 2010 17:45:25 GMT
info.file = [string] C:\Users\rgamboa\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\map\USA__Canada___Mexico\USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P.zip
info.metaFile = [string] C:\Users\rgamboa\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\temp\c157d49a3cd237e8385c29500af993ad.tmp.meta
info.tempFile = [string] C:\Users\rgamboa\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\temp\c157d49a3cd237e8385c29500af993ad.tmp

Severity: 1105
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/logic/netutil.js:77
return new ServerError(message, status, uri, undefined, additionalInfo);
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/netutil.js:112
return NetUtil.exceptionForStatusCode(aStatus, aChannel.URI.spec, additionalInfo);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/downloader.js:363
exception = NetUtil.isRequestSuccess(this._channel, aStatus, this._getRequestInfo());

Time: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 12:46:40 GMT

Do you have a firewall that may be blocking data from the site? Or an anti-virus (which I am NOT telling you to disable).

?

Not that I know of. The other downloads are working fine. Map Share and others. No messages from the virus program coming up. How would I temporarily disable the firewall?
Its a home wireless (linksys) set up running off Cox Cable. Never had any download issues prior to this.

Large downloads from TomTom servers often have trouble with wireless connections. Any chance you can use a directly connected router/modem and try again?

I'm having the same problem with it not turning on. The green light is on but that is it, nothing on screen. So frustrating, needed it for an upcoming trip. I'm thinking this model is defective. I bought mine from Amazon.

Frustrating

I spent 30+ minutes on the phone with Tom Tom Support. The gentleman tried everything he could think of with no positive result. I tried it both wireless and wired. On my laptop and on our home desktop. Last night I tried it at a hotel using their wired high speed. It finally hooked up and the download processed for about an hour before crapping out again! Gave some error message saying that the download file itself was bad. This happened twice. Crazy. Going to try again tonight. The "TM" is kind of a wasted of money if the "M" does not work!

Seems like there are two issues here. For those who are getting the green light with no response, try holding the power button forever (xxl540) or put a pin in the reset hole on the bottom (xxl550). If you still see nothing on the screen then get a warranty replacement. If the vendor is out of stock you can call Tomtom and warranty swap with them.

The home map error is likely server overload, especially if it sometimes works. If you got a corrupted map download you can force a redownload by renaming your mydocuments/tomtom/home folder to mydocuments/tomtom/homedownloadOld and then closing/reopening home.

Ask a Question