New 330 XL-S is pretty slow, RAM an issue?

I recently moved from using my sister's Go720 to my own new 330 XL-S. I like it well enough, it's incredibly thin, but the one thing I can't get over is how slow it is. Menus have a slight delay, but the worst part is that my tomtom can't say something and update the screen at the same time. So I have to wait for it do be done with saying "turn left on main st" before the map will start moving again.

I think that the lack of RAM is the issue here because the GO has 60mb while the XL only has 32mb of RAM, much of which is used.

So my question is, has any one else experienced this? Is there a way to reset the RAM or free up resources?

Slow Screen refresh

You might want to review the number of POI's you are displaying. Perhaps you are displaying too many POIs to refresh the screen quickly.

What Rayszy said is the most common culprit to slowing down your gps. That is the reason why I have it only display radar traps and turn on whatever POI only when needed. I've never had problems with the speed of my gps that way and it is pretty much the same harware wise as yours. I often deviate from the recommended route and it recalculates fast enough on short trips.

thanks for recommendations, I will definitely try it. The problem is, this can happen even with no POI's on the screen, when I'm out in a neighborhood or something. But you like you said, I think getting rid of them all together will go a long way.

thanks for recommendations, I will definitely try it. The problem is, this can happen even with no POI's on the screen, when I'm out in a neighborhood or something. But you like you said, I think getting rid of them all together will go a long way.

Even if there are no POIs to show in a specific area, it needs to look them up to know if some are visible on your screen... If you have dozens selected to be shown, it will need to check them out.

Even if there are no POIs to show in a specific area, it needs to look them up to know if some are visible on your screen... If you have dozens selected to be shown, it will need to check them out.

Very true, that's what i was thinking. By hiding POI's and doing a reset I managed to free up 2 more MB of RAM. Haven't had a chance to test it out yet, but I'll report back if/when the problem is resolved.

UPDATE

Well I tried out the new configuration by not displaying any POIs. It worked at first, but then slowed down like it always does.
I think I'll just get used to it, although I would like to know if there is anything else I can do to free up resources.

Ask a Question