need help with POIs

Hi All,
I am a Garmin user borrowing my wife's Tom Tom One so please bare with me. On the Garmin I can search by store names under POIs such as Staples or Walmart but I can't seem to figure out how to do that in the Tom Tom. (I always get "POI not found!")

An I looking wrong (searching for store names under all POI categories) or are those types of POIs not preloaded?

I see many free POI files here but I do not want to have to load for example all Valero gas stations then all Bank of America's, etc. seperately.

Also, how do I stop navigation in progress?

Thanks in advance!
David

Hi All,
I am a Garmin user borrowing my wife's Tom Tom One so please bare with me. On the Garmin I can search by store names under POIs such as Staples or Walmart but I can't seem to figure out how to do that in the Tom Tom. (I always get "POI not found!")

An I looking wrong (searching for store names under all POI categories) or are those types of POIs not preloaded?

I see many free POI files here but I do not want to have to load for example all Valero gas stations then all Bank of America's, etc. seperately.

Also, how do I stop navigation in progress?

Thanks in advance!
David

To stop the navigation in progress, just arrow right from the main menu on the unit 2 screens to Clear Route and confirm by saing 'yes'.

The poi issue: Navigate to-->poi-->pick choice like 'poi near you' or 'poi in city'-->Any poi category-->now type part of the word of the ppo you'd like such as 'stapl' and all listings with that letter combination such as 'Staples' will appear.

The letter combination you type doesn't even have to be the beginning of the word. For example, typing 'donal' will list all the McDonalds.

I may not be able to answer all of your questions, but here goes. There is a set of POIs loaded on the TT. You can also ad to this set or replace it with larger sets (as I have done). Now to find the POI, what are you doing? If your are trying to navigate to...then use that button on the first screen. It will then ask navigate to... click on Point of Interest. Then it will give the option of POI near you or POI in city. The next screen will be the category(restaurant, Hotel or any custom POIs that you have loaded)...Click on the category and a list of POIs comes up.

To stop navigation go to screen 3 of 3 (if you have not modified the screens). You will see the clear route symbol. Many folks modify their screens to get this option on the first screen.

Oh I have that on my 920 (805 poi.dat).

Ok I got the POI file sizes for the 810 map.

285,145 KB poi.dat
174,026 KB crpoi.dat

Ask a Question