Mytomtom not working?

TomTom Model(s)
VIA 1505M
Hello all,

I just brought a VIA 1505M... After going to (www.tomtom.com/getstarted) and downloading the latest version of MyTomTom, I connected my GPS device and everything was updated... but my question is, how do you use MyTomTom icon in the start menu? Every time I click on it, nothing happens and no window pops up. I want to add a community voice, but I can't access MyTomTom.. I download it using Crome and have the lastest Adobe Flash.. Any help is greatly appreciated!

There should be a desktop MyTomTom icon in the notification area of your computer if using a pc. It is there that you would click (with the unit connected) that would show the 'Add Community Content' menu item.

Clicking that would open a webpage.......

To further clarify - you won't ever need to use the MyTT icon in the Start Menu. During installation, you'll find that MyTT is automatically loaded each time the computer is booted (unless you manually change that).

In that little space in the far lower right of your screen (we call it the Systray), there will always be a MyTT icon, although you might not recognize it all the time -- it has various appearances based upon whether it's asking you to do something or not . Click on that to see what dhn is pointing you toward.

You guys are good! I got MyTomTom to open via the systray. However, the community voice doesn't seem to be working. I added the .bmp, .chk, and .vif files for a Vietnamese voice and nothing shows up in "change voice" or "voice settings" menu. Do I have to restart the TomTom or something?

No restart should be necessary, but with these Nav3 units, it's hard to know. What you did should work.

If you don't get any satisfaction from a regular power cycle, hold down the button until you hear the drums (a reset) and see if the voice shows up in your 'inventory' in Community Content after that, and see if it shows up on the unit as well.

Let us know how you make out.

You guys are good! I got MyTomTom to open via the systray. However, the community voice doesn't seem to be working. I added the .bmp, .chk, and .vif files for a Vietnamese voice and nothing shows up in "change voice" or "voice settings" menu. Do I have to restart the TomTom or something?

Are you sure you added the files under voices and not sounds?

To further clarify - you won't ever need to use the MyTT icon in the Start Menu. During installation, you'll find that MyTT is automatically loaded each time the computer is booted (unless you manually change that).

I have.... :cool:

It drove me mad that if I just connected the TomTom to the PC to charge it up a bit while I was looking at something, MyTT would jump in and start downloading/uploading stuff without me having any control over it.

So I routinely stop it loading at Startup (just like I do with Home).

So have I, but the OP probably hasn't. Our use model is a little "odd" compared to those of the rest of the world.

Are you sure you added the files under voices and not sounds?

When I click on "add community contect" on MyTomTom, a browser loads me to the setting page, and I am sure I downloaded it to "community voice on device" and not "community sound on device" section. On the GPS device, I checked under "change voice" and "voice setting" and it's not there.

As for the power cycle, do you mean powering it off and on again? I have shut the device down (until the drum sounds) and turn it back on many times. Still doesn't work..

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of Vietnamese voices out there. I went and brought another model that was using the TomTom Home 2.. and I installed everything thing in with no problems! I guess they just have a lot to do left in the newer models. :(

Custom voice addition

When I click on "add community contect" on MyTomTom, a browser loads me to the setting page, and I am sure I downloaded it to "community voice on device" and not "community sound on device" section. On the GPS device, I checked under "change voice" and "voice setting" and it's not there.
If you connect your GPS to your computer and open up the "add community content" page of MyTomTom, I believe that it should show the voice that you have added - if the installation was successful. It should list the voice and have "buttons" alongside the name to allow you to either delete the voice or copy it to the computer.

I said "I believe" because I do not have any custom voices installed on my GO 1535, so I cannot confirm this at first hand. However, I have installed custom POI files and custom sounds on my GO1535, and this is the way these work. If you do not have a custom voice listed when you connect your GPS to your computer and open up the "add community content" page of MyTomTom, it would imply to me that something went wrong with the installation.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Ask a Question