False MyTomTom Updates Notice

TomTom Model(s)
Go720, 2535 Live
For the past two days I've been getting a notice from the MyTomTom tray software (v3.2.0.802) that updates are available for my GO LIVE 2535. When I click on the 'details' link it takes me to the MyTomTom web page where it insists that I connect my device before it will tell me what exactly it wants me to install. Since I'm busy, I didn't have time to get the GPS from my car and hook it up.

This morning I finally dragged everything in from my car and guess what? Yep, it says my device is up to date.

On the Manage Content web page it clearly shows in the top right corner that updates are available, but in the section below it shows my device is up to date. So I don't know: 1) what updates it thinks I should install, or 2) how to reset the dumb thing so it will quit telling me.

Has anyone else had this same experience or know how to clear this up? I've already tried a soft reset on the 2535, but that didn't help.

Oh yeah, and I'm BEGGING TomTom to fix this goofy software so I don't have to connect the GPS just to see what it wants me to install. Honestly, I don't need any more exercise trekking back and forth to my car!

For the past two days I've been getting a notice from the MyTomTom tray software (v3.2.0.802) that updates are available for my GO LIVE 2535. When I click on the 'details' link it takes me to the MyTomTom web page where it insists that I connect my device before it will tell me what exactly it wants me to install. Since I'm busy, I didn't have time to get the GPS from my car and hook it up.

This morning I finally dragged everything in from my car and guess what? Yep, it says my device is up to date.

On the Manage Content web page it clearly shows in the top right corner that updates are available, but in the section below it shows my device is up to date. So I don't know: 1) what updates it thinks I should install, or 2) how to reset the dumb thing so it will quit telling me.

Has anyone else had this same experience or know how to clear this up? I've already tried a soft reset on the 2535, but that didn't help.
You are not alone. A lot of us have been complaining to TomTom for a long time about the discrepancies between the tray app and the web app.

I know of no fix for the problem.

I have seen a couple of user comments that it appears to have finally been fixed by TomTom just today, but I have not confirmed this personally.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Is there any way to force it to install? I'm currently on 12.040.
At some point, the advice that there is something waiting for you will turn out to be true, and you'll find the new application waiting for you for download/install. They often roll out the updates for these units over a period of days to avoid totally slamming the server.

Is there any way to force it to install? I'm currently on 12.040.
At some point, the advice that there is something waiting for you will turn out to be true, and you'll find the new application waiting for you for download/install. They often roll out the updates for these units over a period of days to avoid totally slamming thne server.

Thanks, that makes sense. They still need to fix the false notification bug. And they should not be a require a connection to the GPS to see what updates are available or to download them in advance of an install. When I first got the message I figured it was time for my map update. I typically download when I'm at work because I have T1 speed there versus DSL at home. I am still amazed at how poorly TT has performed on the MyTomTom rollout and disappointed at the turtle-slow progress at fixing it.

You are not alone. A lot of us have been complaining to TomTom for a long time about the discrepancies between the tray app and the web app.

I know of no fix for the problem.

I have seen a couple of user comments that it appears to have finally been fixed by TomTom just today, but I have not confirmed this personally.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Despite being updated to 12.045 application, the issue remains - it still shows you updates in the tray (for MapShare) even though you just updated. FWIW, it taught me to ignore damn updates altogether and check it once in a while only to see that they keep ignoring the problem at TT.

@dentatek
It's strange out there (or in here, for that matter). I presently have 3 different Nav3 units in play, all using MyTomTom, of course. Of the three, two get the repeated Mapshare updates, one does not. What the systray icon says about a pending update therefore depends upon which of the three units I've had hooked up most recently.

@dentateck
It's strange out there (or in here, for that matter). I presently have 3 different Nav3 units in play, all using MyTomTom, of course. Of the three, two get the repeated Mapshare updates, one does not. What the systray icon says about a pending update therefore depends upon which of the three units I've had hooked up most recently.

So you are saying that part of the problem is on our devices? Out of your 3 units, which one doesn't not show repeated Mapshare updates? I'm just curious, trying to find pattern here. Thanks in advance!

@canderson, you have WAY too many GPSs! :D

I just tried the update and this time it actually did offer me the 12.045 update along with a MapShare update, which must have been to two updates I have been getting notified for. I completed the install and it still offered me the MapShare again. I didn't try to reinstall the MapShare update, but one interesting thing:

After the update I have about 60MB MORE free space than I previously had!

Not sure how that's possible...

So you are saying that part of the problem is on our devices? Out of your 3 units, which one doesn't not show repeated Mapshare updates? I'm just curious, trying to find pattern here. Thanks in advance!
Yes, individual devices, even running the same firmware, seem to interact differently with the MyTT software on the PC. At present, only my GO 1535 Live avoids the repeated MapShare offering. What's odd is that other owners of the same model are seeing that problem.

TomTom has had an earful from users about getting this fixed, so it's not like they aren't aware of the problem and actively trying to sort it out.

The unending mapshare updates bug is a known issue with the device software. TT support confirmed to us that they should have it fixed in the next application update.

TomTom Customer Support seem aware of the issues - so why no fix?. I consider myself computer literate but on was REALLY frustrated on boxing day when I tried to register and update my new Via 135.

The change from TomTom Home was not explained so initially I tried to connect to TTHome. Having realised the error of my ways, I installed MyTomTom and registered.

At this stage it told me that there were 4 updates pending, but on connecting to the website I was informed my device was up to date (not true).

Thinking this was due to my previous 2 TomTom devices (USA and UK One) and TomTom Home causing a conflict. I proceeded to re-register with a new e-mail - same result.

I then used a second computer on which TomTom Home had never been used., same result.

After talking to Customer Service, I eventually disabled my AVG software, my firewall, my Router firewall and re-set the TT cache.

At this stage the 4 updates were confirmed , but took A LONG TIME to download. The updates then started to transfer to the VIA 135, and I was informed this would take 135 minutes (WHAT !!)

Murphys Law - something went wrong and I had to re-start the updates - this time a lot quicker and the Via 135 updated.

I then found I needed a soft re-set to get it going again (WHY ?) with no fore-warning that this might happen.

It is UNACCEPTABLE that we should have to disable ALL PROTECTION to get MyTomTom to work correctly.

Strangely - subsequent updates today went through with the Firewall and AVG in place ???

As a literate computer user, I really struggled - I can understand why some users post comments like 'pile of c--p' - 'rubbish' - 'waste of time'.

Please TomTom - when you decide to change something that 'isn't broken' (TomTom Home) - at least field trial it (MyTomTom) and make sure it does the job (securely - with Anti-virus and firewall in place) and can be used by a novice user !!

Not surprised that downloads are a bit slow at the moment. Lots of new units like yours being connected.

Using a different email address for a new unit is something we've had to explain here so many times we've all lost count, but you're over that hurdle now.

As for disabling all of the AV and firewall software, all that's really needed is just an exception for Port 4000 most of the time. It's the port that MyTomTom uses.

Usually you don't need to disable antivirus. Only vendors like Kapersky that try to hijack/decrpt secure connections cause problems, since TT will not permit its connection to be hijacked.

Your issue was probably the reuse of email I'D's, and it was probably your clear cache that fixed it.

The prior issue in this thread with unending mapshare updates has been resolved.

Not surprised that downloads are a bit slow at the moment. Lots of new units like yours being connected.

Using a different email address for a new unit is something we've had to explain here so many times we've all lost count, but you're over that hurdle now..

Thanks for your response - but if you have had to "explain many times" on the forum that surely shows there is a need to make the system work seamlessly using the instructions in the box and/or within the MyTomTom software.

I have only came to this forum AFTER the problems - 9 out of 10 new users would expect to be able to connect and use a new device with the instructions in the box or within the downloaded software ... not have to search through a technical forum.

Usually you don't need to disable antivirus. Only vendors like Kapersky that try to hijack/decrpt secure connections cause problems, since TT will not permit its connection to be hijacked.

Your issue was probably the reuse of email I'D's, and it was probably your clear cache that fixed it.

The prior issue in this thread with unending mapshare updates has been resolved.

Thanks for your response - however,

(a) TT customer service told me to disable anti-virus, firewall and router firewall (I have also subsequently seen this advice on this forum)

(b) By the time I tried the second computer I had used a new email ID and it was a new install so there was no cache.

(c) An exception for port 4000 ? Even if I had been given that advice by CS - how would most basic users know what that means or how to do it ? -

(c) An exception for port 4000 ? Even if I had been given that advice by CS - how would most basic users know what that means or how to do it ? -
That, of course, is a "gotcha" for any user who runs software that uses a 'special' port, and MyTomTom is just one of many. Users who install firewall software with particularly tight restrictions (in this case, restrictions on port# usage) will wind up either learning how to properly configure it, or giving up on the application. Some firewall type software actually asks the first time it encounters an odd port request, and the user is able to make an exception on the spot. I like those!

While it seems unfair to burden a software vendor with having to become intimately familiar with and walk their customers through a pile of someone else's firewall software, it would be nice if most outfits using non-standard ports were familiar with at least a few of the major router/firewall hardware and software configurations.

But as mentioned, it may well have been JUST the cache clearance and new account name that was required in this case. So the talk of virus checkers and firewalls is probably redundant.
However it's pretty standard practice for ALL companies to suggest they may be to blame when downloads don't work.

By the way, we should probably just check that you are aware that we are nothing to do with TomTom the company? We are just owners/users like yourself.

Ask a Question