My TomTom is completely messed up

Not sure even where to begin to figure all this out.

Got a TomTomOne for Christmas and it worked fine. I used it for about 5 days. Then I made the mistake of tinkering with it -- per instructions on the TomTom site -- to install a personalized start-up screen. I think that's where the trouble started.

Next time I tried to use it in the car, it wouldn't start except for showing the flashing "X."

Now, every time I connect it to my computer and run TomTom Home, it seems to respond differently -- but never in a good way. Sometimes Home doesn't recognize the device at all. Most times it recognizes it but automatically starts downloading updates to it -- often the same updates it downloaded 20 minutes before.

Although it currently says everything is updated on it, it does not seem to have any maps beyond a large outline map of North America. I can't get it to show any street maps, for instance.

Home wants to run me through the basic set-up every time I connect, as if I had never set it up before -- asking me what language and voice I want to use, for example. Then it gets to the point where it wants me to set a home location (which I already did when I first got it). I can find my state, city and street names, but when I try to type in the street number, it says there are no street numbers available for that street and then stops the set-up process. When I first got the TomTom, I set my street address just fine. In any case, TomTom Home and/or my device doesn't recognize any street addresses anywhere -- I've tested it.

I've also tried setting a starting location using the map, but zooming in on the outline map of North America shows nothing but a big green blob -- no streets or city names or anything.

I've tried following the instructions on the TomTom site for resetting the device, but this doesn't resolve anything.

During the 5 days I was able to use the device, I only traveled to locations that I knew anyway. Then the other day I got lost trying to find a new place and wished I had a working GPS. Today I am also supposed to go to a new place and it would be nice to have the TomTom to help me. But, as noted, it seems really messed up. Very sorry now that I tried to customize it a little bit.

Don't suppose you made a backup (hopefully Explorer) prior to doing any updates?

Use Explorer to look at the contents of your unit. Do you see a bunch of folders and loose files not in any folder? Among the folders, you should see one called something like USA_Canada with a bunch of files in that one. Do you?

When you got the unit, did you take advantage of the Latest Map Update and download and install a new map?

Report back and we'll take it from there.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, when I first got the unit I downloaded the latest map update.

I don't think I backed up anything, though.

I will look at those folders and let you know what I see.

Thanks again.

Okay, confirm your downloaded map is here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

If it is, let me know.........

OK, on my device there is a folder named United_States. It contains 26 files and one subfolder.

On my computer, under My Documents - TomTom - Download - Complete that you asked about above, there are folders named vocalizervoice, carsymbol, ephemeris, safetycamera, and startupscreen. There is no folder named maps.

Then it appears you did not update the map or it would show where I said.

On your unit, in the USA map folder is a file with an extention of .pna. Open it it Notepad. Either at the end of the first line or on the fourth line you should see a value of something like '835'. If it does show '840', then the 840 map is installed. If not, carry on below.......

1. Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

2. Delete everything from your unit. Reformat it. Don't use quickformat.

3. Use Explorer to rename the C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads folder to DownloadOLD

4. Connect your unit to Home. It should offer an application. Download and install it.

5. Copy back JUST the map folder from your backup to the unit.

5. Goto the Home's Latest Map guarantee and it should offer it again. Download and install it.

If it doesn't offer the map upgrade, call support at 866-486-6866 to add it to your account. They are open now on Saturday.

I did everything through Step 5. Then I clicked "Use Latest Map Guarantee" on the Tools menu and got this message: The latest map guarantee does not apply to the map that is currently installed on your TomTom device.

Both the Home software and the device itself (at startup) tell me that there are no maps at all on it.

I did everything through Step 5. Then I clicked "Use Latest Map Guarantee" on the Tools menu and got this message: The latest map guarantee does not apply to the map that is currently installed on your TomTom device.

Both the Home software and the device itself (at startup) tell me that there are no maps at all on it.

If Tomtom phone support hasn't solved your problem yet, there's a few other things you can try.

First, can you post back what exact model ONE you have? The best way is to use notepad and open ttgo.bif on the root of the Tomtom drive. Post back what it says after the following four lines, and we can recommend further steps:

DeviceName:
DeviceVersionHardware
BootLoaderVersion
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber

Ask a Question