TomTom Takes Me in Completely Opposite Direction

-V-

I tried my TomTom One XL on the best route for my destination, to see if it would take me on the same route or a different one.

Instead of taking the most direct, fast/short route, it took me on side streets through cul-de-sacs instead of taking direct roads.

It completely ignored a main thoroughfare that has the least amount of stoplights and is very safe.

After exiting the interstate, it had me going completely the wrong direction, to a town opposite of the one I programmed it to travel.

These seem like big issues about such a simple route. It makes me question how useful it really is. I'm wondering how turned around it will send me from my destination in future areas where I don't know where I'm going.

Is there any way to correct this? We've tried fastest route, shortest route, safest route, etc. and it just keeps taking us in poor directions.

If any of you have resolved the issue, I'd be happy to hear it! Thanks for any help.

It could be a map issue. What is your starting point/destination?

Certain map issues can be fixed on the device via mapshare.

Can't say that the routing has been bad for my OneXL in cities, but out where I am in a semi rural area well you better have a paper map with you or a fairly good idea of where you are going because it surely will send you on a out of the way route or even dead end roads to your destination, but otherwise it has been pretty darn good, course you could use Google & Tyre and make your own route...........:D

Thank you both for your suggestions. We'll have to work on either a map update or just make sure we have a real map with us!

At times tomtom seems to have lost its fuzzy logic and you are describing an episode of that. It is reported at times on this forum as well as with other units on other sites so i am not sure if it is a hardware problem, a software problem or a map problem. I was sitting in the parking lot of a local establishment that was in the POI section of TT and the unit was telling me to exit the parking lot, drive down the street, make a u turn and come back. Oh well.

Ask a Question