My Location using 930 Gps

TomTom Model(s)
930T

How do I make "My Location" highlighted in Navigate to menu?

I can't make it to work because it is dimmed out.

Thanks

Zhong

Why would you want to navigate to the location you are currently at, there are no instructions needed to get to where you are located on the planet - Mike

How do I make "My Location" highlighted in Navigate to menu?
I can't make it to work because it is dimmed out.
I presume you want to save that current location as a "Favourite" so that you can pick it in future.

If that is so I can only suggest you tap on "Help me", page 1 in the Main Menu, tap on "Where am I?" and then tap on the [ + ] sign in the top left corner.
With that you made a screen print. Although it will not give you house numbers it will give a description but more importantly it will give you the coordinates of that location.

With the 930 connected to the computer, in Windows Explorer go to your Device and open the Folder "Screen"
and click on the screen print saved.
You can now easily make a POI from that with TYRE . as explained elsewhere.

Dave or others please correct me. I do not remember for sure but seem to think that the Folder "Screen" does not exist by default but must be made using WExplorer prior to use. That seems to be right as cannot find one in my original back up when new.
Cheers,
Arno

That's correct, Arno.

Use Explorer to make a folder called screen and within a text file called capture (NO extension) with nothing in the file.

Now, whenever you press the top left of your unit's screen, you'll hear a shutter sound and you'll find a weirdly named .bmp file in the screen folder with that screen capture.

You can add as many as you'd like.

Mark a Waypoint

I wish to "Mark a Waypoint" like I can do in Garmin E-trex and make a name for that waypoint where
I am currently located?

Is doing that that hard to do on TomTom 930 ?

Thanks

Zhong

Why would you want to navigate to the location you are currently at, there are no instructions needed to get to where you are located on the planet - Mike

In quick Menu Preferenece there is a box to check off to add Position to Favorites .

Click on change Preference then third screen over click on quick menu preferences and then you can chose 6 items for your qiuick menu. Your quick menu will stay on your screen and you can click on it at anytime.
Then just click on add position to favorites.

Once you have your location saved to your Favorites you then can go onto manage Favorites click on the one you just saved and you can rename delete or navigate to it.

However I would suggest that before you update your map in the future you might want to go to manage POI and add /create a poi catagory call it what you want like ( # 1 Favorites) then copy your favorites over to this new POI and that way you will not loose them when you update your map.

So when I update the maps?
Does it erase my favorites or POI ?
If so what file name is it saved under and which folder?

Thanks

Zhong

In quick Menu Preferenece there is a box to check off to add Position to Favorites .

Click on change Preference then third screen over click on quick menu preferences and then you can chose 6 items for your qiuick menu. Your quick menu will stay on your screen and you can click on it at anytime.

Once you have your location saved to your Favorites you then can go onto manage Favorites click on the one you just saved and you can rename delete or navigate to it.

However I would suggest that before you update your map in the future you might want to go to manage POI and add /create a poi catagory call it what you want like ( # 1 Favorites) then copy your favorites over to this new POI and that way you will not loose them when you update your map.

So when I update the maps?
Does it erase my favorites or POI ?
If so what file name is it saved under and which folder?
The Favourites get wiped out. POIs remain where and how they are.
That is why I suggested in a post elsewhere to make a personal POI and use that in lieu of Favourites.

Saving Favorites as a POI

Thanks for the directions...but there is one thing I do not understand. I am connected to my device, and can't find a Favorites file to copy, and once someone directs me to copy the correct file that contains my favorites, where do I copy it to?

I read something in another group saying that the favorites are in a *.cfg file, but how do I paste and where do I paste it.
Thanks in advance.

Do this:

From a backed up map, copy the mapsettings.cfg file to the specific map folder on your unit, overwriting what's there.

Now..........connect your unit to Home. Run the emulator (Operate my Unit). Make a change to one favourite by adding one, deleting one, editing one ... you choose.

Now, disconnect your unit properly from the computer using Home's disconnect icon. You should be good to go.

Now..........connect your unit to Home. Run the emulator (Operate my Unit). Make a change to one favourite by adding one, deleting one, editing one ... you choose.
Not having been around for a bit I must have missed an upgrade for the better. I thought deleting Favourites used to be an all or nothing affair. That and the roll over (24 or 48 ?) is why I am pushing the personal POIs so much.

So do I. And converting favourites to a custom poi category as well.........

For those interested in doing so, see a link here from our friends at PocketGPSWorld.

DHN
thanks for the quick and helpful response, now i understand. thanks:)

Thanks for the directions...but there is one thing I do not understand. I am connected to my device, and can't find a Favorites file to copy, and once someone directs me to copy the correct file that contains my favorites, where do I copy it to?

I read something in another group saying that the favorites are in a *.cfg file, but how do I paste and where do I paste it.
Thanks in advance.

The Favourites get wiped out. POIs remain where and how they are.
That is why I suggested in a post elsewhere to make a personal POI and use that in lieu of Favourites.

This no longer happens. Favorites get retained during map updates in HOME 2.7, released a few weeks ago.

This no longer happens. Favorites get retained during map updates in HOME 2.7, released a few weeks ago.
Glad to hear that. So, we finally are getting incremental improvements instead of downgrades. ;->)

Do Favourites still roll over after 24 ( or 48) ?

Ask a Question