My Location as a POI

TomTom Model(s)
Go730, GO51
Hi all, sorry to be a dummy, but can anyone remind me how to set my current location as a POI/Favourite. It was easy on my previous device, there was a button for it, but I can't find it for a GO51.

Thanks in hope,

"If you are not living on the edge, you are probably taking up too much room..."

Can't do it with the chevron itself, but if you touch the map in/near the spot you have in mind, then the triple dots, one of the options is "Add to My Places".

If you don't trust your fingers you could go to Drive to/Search > Latitude Longitude.
The "examples" shown are your actual location.
Enter the values and a flag and road name will show.
Tap on the road and a bar with the 3 menu dots in the middle will show.
Tap that and tap Add to My Places.
The road name will show in Edit mode.
Underneath it says to give it a name.
"Home" and "Work" are special names which, when selected will show on the first menu page.

If you don't trust your fingers you could go to Drive to/Search > Latitude Longitude.
The "examples" shown are your actual location.
Enter the values and a flag and road name will show.
Tap on the road and a bar with the 3 menu dots in the middle will show.
Tap that and tap Add to My Places.
The road name will show in Edit mode.
Underneath it says to give it a name.
"Home" and "Work" are special names which, when selected will show on the first menu page.

That sound like real customer focussed progress in software development from earlier models <grin>

I've also noticed how awkward it is to get newer models to effectively 'remember' your location. This is a feature that is so handy. eg you find a convenient layby on a fast road and want to remember it for the next time you do that route.

Should be easy to write the software to store my current location in two taps of the screen. If the current TomTom programmers don't know how to do this maybe they should look at the code of a model from 2009 as those early devices did it!

There is a much easier way actually but I had forgotten as I do not use it except for testing.

While sitting in the layby tap the "+" sign until your space is defined from the road.
Put your finger on the spot and hold it until the + shows on a reverse video bubble. It will say "Loading" and then (Unnamed location) with the 3 menu dots. Tap on those and use the first option Add to My Places. It now allows you to give it a name of your choice and it is saved in My Places.

There is a much easier way actually but I had forgotten as I do not use it except for testing.

While sitting in the layby tap the "+" sign until your space is defined from the road.
Put your finger on the spot and hold it until the + shows on a reverse video bubble. It will say "Loading" and then (Unnamed location) with the 3 menu dots. Tap on those and use the first option Add to My Places. It now allows you to give it a name of your choice and it is saved in My Places.
Yes, that's what I can do on my go 5100. But earlier TT models had a single tap menu option of 'Save POI' which brought up a section of what to save, one of which was 'My Location' - two taps, much simpler.

Of course have a voice control command to do it would be even better and could be used to save your location while still moving. Would have been handy in Birmingham once when I passed the building I had been looking for but couldn't find any parking nearby so needed to know where that building was for later.

Yes, it is most annoying that the destination automatically disappears when driving past it.
If you expect trouble like that you could tap Menu > Parking lot and it then should show you Car Parks.

The only alternative to get back after passing the destination is to tap Menu > My Places > Recent Destination and tap the one you were aiming for.

'evening all, many thanks for the responses. Sorry I have been so slow to acknowledge, but various personal crises have taken preference to good manners. I was just about to follow Arno's excellent suggestion when I decided to apply the latest updates. This I did, but in the process all my maps disappeared.......doh!! I have tried three times to re-update, to no avail. I am now awaiting a response from TomTom support. Yawn...

Using the systray icon in the lower right, right click. Choose "Settings". Select "Downloads" tab. Select "Empty download folder".
It won't appear to have done much, but in fact, it will clear out your cache. This should permit you to restart a download/install process from scratch.
If that doesn't help, you're going to be stuck with TomTom for a bit until they can set up a job to push the maps to your unit.

Thanks, but now I am really confused. A right click on the Systray icon does not yield a "Settings" option. There is customise, properties and various others, but none offers a route to the Downloads folder. If I click on the computer icon (in desktop) the downloads folder appears under favourites, but the last entry there was in 2016. This pc runs under Windows 7, if that is relevant. I'm happy to empty the downloads folder manually as there's nothing there I can't replace, and I can copy the contents to a different location, but is that going to clear the cache?

If you have MyDriveConnectt running, then in the MyDriveConnect screen, if you click on the UK flag in the right side of the screen, you should also get to the Settings menu. From there you can go to the downloads tab and click on 'Clear the downloads folder'

MD Systray.jpg

Just curious -- what version does your MyDrive say that it is? Mine has looked like this from a right click for a very long time:

Oh dear, please ignore my last post. I am in training for Klutz of the year....

I was clicking on the Systray icon, not the TomTom icon within Systray. When I click in the right place, of course I do get the Settings menu. And of course I also get the Settings menu when I click on the UK Flag. Clicking the Downloads tab gives me the location of the downloads folder, and the "empty downloads folder" button, but both it and the "browse" button are greyed out, indicating (I think) that the folder is empty.

Yes, it looks just as your screen shot, and it is version 4.1.5.3181

TomTom Support did come back to me, but their suggestion didn't work either. A drum reset has no effect. They tell me to do a factory reset, but that is impossible as I can't access the menu screen, it is blanked out by the "No maps found" superimposed screen. I am waiting for a more helpful response.

Incidentally, if I do factory reset, will I lose all my POIs?

I thought maybe, with the Go51 connected to a pc, I could browse the files and clear the cache with Windows Explorer, but unlike my old TomTom (Go730) the Go51 is not visible in the "Computer" window.

As always, your suggestions will be welcomed, please? and a big thank you to the Moderators for all the work you put in to help dummies like me.

Do NOT be fooled by the grayed out button for the "Empty download folder". Like "Browse" above and to the right of it, it's just an unfortunate color. Worse, you do not get any real feedback that anything has happened when you click on it. Takes a bit of a leap of faith. You'd have to dig into a 'hidden' folder to find the actual cache area. It's the folder located in the line above that says "Download folder". Most likely you'd find a number of things still there if you haven't already selected the "Empty download folder" button, and you have previously selected "Download updates on my computer".

You are correct that you cannot browse the file system of the device now. In fact, your device now looks like a little mini-server to the outside world, and appears as a 'network device' (e.g., a network card) when looked at from Windows Device Manager. That's part of the magic of the MyDrive app -- it creates handles turning the USB connection into a TCP connection.

Tech Support should be able to divine the current content of your device, and has the ability, using jobs set up on their own server, to manipulate the existing map situation on your device.
Just curious -- when connected to MyDrive, if you select "MY CONTENT" at the top, what does it show for free memory on the device in MB?

Thanks again. First, as this has morphed into an update problem, no longer anything to do with my location, do you wish to move the latter part of this thread to another heading?

To answer your question, it shows free space on the device as 6243MB (there is no memory card installed). Therein, I believe, is a clue. The MyDrive screen shows that the Europe & UK map (the only one I have installed) (a) is corrupted and (b) is 6740MB. It gave me the option of omitting Russia (only TomTom could ever imagine that Russia is within Europe), which I did. The MyDrive home screen shows that my device is up to date, but the Go screen says "Update Failed". I just repeated the download procedure, same result. Maybe that's where the glitch is, it's looking for more space than it needs, or the removal of Russia does not take it below the max memory available.

I seem to have two options; 1, go buy a 8GB MicroSDHC card, which should remove the capacity problem - I will do that tomorrow. 2, MyDrive offers a further option, to load the maps without 3D buildings. I will try that tonight and let you know the result.

Thanks again. First, as this has morphed into an update problem, no longer anything to do with my location, do you wish to move the latter part of this thread to another heading?

To answer your question, it shows free space on the device as 6243MB (there is no memory card installed). Therein, I believe, is a clue. The MyDrive screen shows that the Europe & UK map (the only one I have installed) (a) is corrupted and (b) is 6740MB. It gave me the option of omitting Russia (only TomTom could ever imagine that Russia is within Europe), which I did. The MyDrive home screen shows that my device is up to date, but the Go screen says "Update Failed". I just repeated the download procedure, same result. Maybe that's where the glitch is, it's looking for more space than it needs, or the removal of Russia does not take it below the max memory available.

I seem to have two options; 1, go buy a 8GB MicroSDHC card, which should remove the capacity problem - I will do that tomorrow. 2, MyDrive offers a further option, to load the maps without 3D buildings. I will try that tonight and let you know the result.

Well, I tried. This is getting very boring. MyDrive instruction was to cancel the repair, go to my maps, select Europe, then "change Map Zone. But there is no button/dialog box to change map zone......:confused:

The annoying thing is, I will never drive to Russia, what I need is UK/Ireland maps, possibly with Western Europe. Never had these problems with the Go730!

Call support. Better than email:

United Kingdom
02079 490 134
Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Ask a Question