My GO 510 Refuse to start on Battery

TomTom Model(s)
GO 510
I have a Go510 for 2 months, works fine until last weekend
Now impossible to start it when powered on its own battery, If I put it on the AC charger it works fine and the battery charge indicator tell the battery is fully charged.
It works fine as long as it powered by ac and works with the computer, I updated it to latest version, no problem
I check tomtom FAQ and tried several times to RESET it NO CHANGE
Can some body help?
what is the problem?
How can I fix it?

I tried to contact TomTom Customer support by email several times they never answer

Thanks for help
Francois

Post a pm to either canderson or GAW, our resident battery experts. Also, I think you're further ahead if you call Support. The number is 866-486-6866.

Thanks for the fast reply, I phoned TomTom Tech support and by miracle it is not too long to speak to a HUman.
The only thing to do is SCRAP IT put it in Garbage there is Nothing to do with it, it cannot be repaired and as it is no longer under waranty it just gopod for scrap
That was my first tomtom and that will be the last
Francois

I do not understand how a 2-month old unit is out of warranty? Did you get it used?

Just because TT Support says to scrap it is NOT a reason to do so. Again, I provided in an earlier post the name of 2 members here who can and will assist you with replacing the battery, if necessary.

surely you can replace the battery. I see posts here about people doing that frequently.

Once a lithium battery is drained totally it's toast.

Unless you do a pin reset the tomtom is always on. Even though you shut it down, it stays on in some kind of sleep mode.

if you're going to store it for some time, do a pin reset.

Mine will pretty much kill the battery after sitting about a week after a normal shutdown. Before a recent month long trip I did a pin reset and there was no battery loss on my return.

The tom Tom was purchased from Ecost and accordingly to tomtom it is protected for only 30 days that why it is good for scrap because it is 60 days old
Can you explain how to open it?
What battery model I need?
Where can i find one?
Thanks for your help
Francois

Below is a link to one battery vendor. I believe they provide instructions and possibly even the tools needed. I would Google and find some other vendors. Some may offer to do the replacement for an extra charge if you don't want to mess with it.

Don't toss it - it is basically a good unit that simply needs a new battery.

There are several posts in this forum on taking them apart also.

TomTom Batteries

Thanks for the email , I was able to order the 510 battery and the special Torx screwdriver.
Now it is necessary to find detailled infos how to acces to the battery, I found the 4 torx scres under the rubber feets but after I need more infos how to remove the screnn witout breaking it
Thanks for your help
Francois

Glad the "email" helped. As you found, they have no difficulties shipping to Canada from batteryship.com.

Once you have the four torx head screws removed, I cannot help! I have not tried to disassemble an x10 unit, and given that the battery is a totally different shape, I am sure the photos I supplied in the "tutorial" in the Tweak section will not directly apply. However, if you find that you must separate the touch screen before continuing, the tutorial may help to explain how to release the catch for the flex circuit connection.

The battery dealer is supposed to give instruction for the 510 and others with the cylindrical batteries
When I will have the file I will send you acopy if you want to add to your files about the flat battery replacement
Francois

That would be great! I am also sure that batteryship will be happy to have more business sent their way. It is, as far as I know, the only place in N.A. that carries a full line of replacements for TomTom units, new and old.

Once again I am try to uplod the document explaining how to repalce battery in GOx10, each time I ahve following error message

The TomTomForums.com - TomTom & GPS Navigation Community database has encountered a problem.

How can I send the document to be vailable to naybody on the forum
Thanks
Francois

There is a size limitation to each kind of file you are trying to upload. Is that the issue here?

After making lot of noise at ToMtom HeadOffice they asked me to return the deffective GO510 and they will replace it by arefurbished GO720
Is the GO720 better, do it have problems
Thanks
Francois

After a lot of exchanges by email with TomTom , I obtained an RMA to return the Go510, 3 weeks later I receive a refurbished GO720 BUT IT IS DEAD
Yes you read dead, impossible to have a sound comming out of it, impossible to test voices, and after an hour it still have not catch any satellite, I can navigate inside the menus but when I select something that make NO CHANGE
What do I do now
Thanks
Francois

My 2-year old TomTom GO 510 also apparently has a dead battery. Works ok on the AC or car chargers, but no response when I take it off the mount.

I just ordered a battery from a place through Amazon. Anyone else by chance use this exact battery? Just curious if you had success.

Amazon.com: HQRP Replacement High Capacity Battery for TomTom Go 300 400 500 600 710 900 / Rider Garmin StreetPilot C320 C340 / Garmin C330 C530 i3 i5 / Magellan RoadMate 2000 2200T GPS plus HQRP Universal Screen Protector: Electronics

Thanks!

Ask a Question