My experience with bluetooth phone buzzing

I got my Tomtom about 1 month ago from BestBuy and have the same bluetooth buzzing problem that many other people have had.

I did not realize that it was a common problem until I found this forum. I just thougt Tomtom had a crappy system.

As I found out about this issue too late, I was not able to exchange my unit at Bestbuy, and also I would not have the patience to try new unit after new unit until I found one that works.

I have recently spoke to customer support and sent several e-mails about this. Their response is still that they are working on it, and have no idea when the problem will be fixed or the firmware update wil be available. I do not get the sense of a great deal of urgency on their part. The customer service rep had no idea what I was speaking of until she contacted the resource center.

I do find this very dissappointing. Bluetooth was one of the major reasons I upgraded from an older Garmin GPS.

Below is the e-mail exchange I had in case you are interested. They answered my first e-mail quickly, and have not answered the second. The e-mails start at the bottom and work up. It also irked me that they marked my issue as resolved. Giving my an answer that they are working on it does not resolve the issue. Are the new 720s bought in say October or later free of this issue?

Discussion Thread
Customer (M) 10/03/2007 05:22 PM
Are you confident you will be able to fix this problem with a software update, ie. do you have a solution available? When do you expect to have this release available?

Alternately, how long until I can send this unit back for one that does have a working bluetooth system?

I would hope this would be a high urgency situation as the product sold does not work as advertised.

Thanks,

M

Response (ST Thomas La) 09/29/2007 03:57 PM
Dear M,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support regarding the buzzing noise when using hands-free calling. This is a known software issue that is being worked on. It will be fixed in a future update. I would suggest checking for updates at least once a week through TomTom HOME.

If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.

With Best Regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Customer (l) 09/29/2007 03:39 PM
Hi:

I have paired my Tomtom 720 with a Nokia 6620. The pairing process worked well. There is a strong buzzing sound on other peoples cell phones when I make a paired phone call. This makes it impossible to use the bluetooth feature. I have read that this is a common problem. How do I fix this problem?

Thanks

Last edited:
I updated from a garmin 330 and 720 seemed like the logical choice for the price/features vs nuvi 660. I got my unit on august 4th (one of the first ones at best buy) Didn't try the hands free calling till people started complaining on these forums but I had no issues using with samsung A437. No buzzing etc although I had to speak a little louder than normal. Tried the same unit with V3 from verizon and buzzing galore. So yes the buzzing noise is software related most likely (although most people think its hardware related). Just like you, I was out of the return/exchange period from best buy and getting the same run around from TOMTOM except at that time they didn't think there was a problem.

Granted that now after a couple of months of use, I hardly ever use FM Transmitter or bluetooth even with my samsung phone. Still would have been nice if all the advertised functionalities worked like every other electronic equipment.

I think they are going to drag us around till the warranty period is expired also and we will be hung with non working products. Just my 2 cents.

Hi,

Here is what I have noticed so far with handsfree with my Motorola Q on Bell Mobility. It is not a supported handset so everything is set manually.

The handsfree works flawlessly unless you run into the problem with the phone trying to do data (traffic updates) and calling at the same time. It is probably also trying to keep in touch with my Exchange server. The phone seems to get confused which then in turn confuses the TomTom 720.

The clarity of the handsfree is perfect when it is working.

My solution thus far has been to turn bluetooth off the phone (easy on my phone) unless I want traffic updates. I tried just turning data off the gps and then just using it manually when I wanted updates but I still get issues. So now I don't have handsfree but as we get more 720s out there the problems and compatibilities WILL be fixed.

Waiting till I drive into Toronto with traffic (live in the burbs and don't usually have to go in during rush hour) and to see the symbols.

PS I love the Tim Hortons POI (even though they are not accurate, too many locations that were never there) and having it set to moo when in range. Had it set to say "mmmmm timmies" first but it just said "m-m-m-m-m-m timmies". Too funny.

Nathan...

I got this response from TomTom customer support in reply to my second e-mail to them.

If the unit can't be fixed with a software update then we will have it sent in. Currently the software development team is working on fixing this problem, but we have not been informed of their progress. No matter what, as soon as we find a solution to the problem we will make it available to our customers.

With Best Regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

I like that at least they are saying they will replace the unit if they can't fix it with software.

Last edited:

Ask a Question