My first negative experience with Support.

TomTom Model(s)
Rider 2
I have owned a TTR2 for several years now, and it has always worked great. A few times I did require some assistance from TT Support via phone (we all know emailing them is an excercise in futility) I recieved prompt and correct assistance.

Today I took advantage of a map sale to update my 840 map to the new 860. Made the purchase online, recieved a confirmation of the purchase and thought all was well.

Here it is about 10hrs later and the map is still not in my account. I actually tried out the new "live chat" with a tech, and it was somewhat frustrating. Even though I supplied her with the confirmation email (copied and pasted) as well as the order confirmation number, she claimed I need to provide proof of purchase (????). I asked her if she had the confirmation as per the number I supplied...she said yes, but that wasnt proof of purchase, even though right in the email from TT, it states "this is confirmation of purchase". Egads.

She wanted a screen shot of the email, to which I replied "a what?". She walked me thru that process, so that I could send her a screen shot of the email, even though I had already supplied her with a copy/paste of it, as well as the confirmation/order #. The whole time I am thinking to myself...are you kidding me? You have proof, etc etc. Now I thought all was well, and she said it might take a little time for it to show up in my account. I waited 90 minutes and still no map.

On my second "live chat" (with the same person luckily), I advised her that the map was still not in my account. She claims she then send a msg to who-knows-where to have the map placed in my account and that it would be there right away. I waited and waited, continually pressing "update my device" to no avail. She says she personally checked that it was placed in my account. I had things to do, so left it at that, and now 10hrs later there is still no map.

I will not be able to talk to support again until Monday, so will have to wait and see what happens.

Anyways, that is my Friday night rant.

Cheers!

Update, I recieved an email from Nicky at TT support and she announces that she "feels glad to inform me that the Senior Support has added the map to my TT account".

Hmmm....odd, cause 36hrs later, it still is not there.

I guess more calls are in order.

cheers

Why is it not in my account?

Well, here is yet another update. The map is still not showing up in my HOME account, even though TT support says its there.

Now they say I need to delete the current map from my Rider, then reconnect and it WILL be there they say.

I really dont see the connection between having a map already on my device, and a new map showing in my account when they say it is already there.

I have bought plenty of maps, and have never had this happen before. The new maps were always in my account and I would simply install them right over top of the old one.

I shall update again as required....:confused:

Last edited:
Well, after spending a couple of more hours with TT support (via live chat), I still do not have access to the map I purchased.

They had me dancing thru many hoops, including downloading and redownloading HOME about 6 times, using the Flash clear tool several times, deleting my map off my device (I saved it though and have put it back on), setting up a new account for HOME and hitting my head on a brick wall several times.

I have given up and will be contacting VISA to get my payment back. They continue to state that the map is in my Acct, but nope, doest come up no matter what.

Cheers!

ps: I will give some degree of credit to the person I was live chatting with, she made a valiant effort but was unable to provide a solution.

Final Update.

I finally got my new 8.60 map and it is working nicely on my Rider2.

A phone call to "the next level of support" had me up and running in very little time.

The issue was actually relativally simple. I have 2 devices (the Rider and an XL340TM) on my computer, each having its own account of course. However, the destination folders were the same for each, thereby causing a conflict. Support had me create a new folder for the Rider and viola!...there was my missing map.

So, I do give much credit to the phone support people, in this case they had me fixed up in short order.

Cheers!

While Home is supposed to keep download folders & etc separate for multiple devices, and some here allow it to do so, your experience confirms my distrust. I set up two separate sets of folders for my 720 and 740. It's a PITA to have to repoint the folders in Home's folder config each time I do something major, but hey ...

Ask a Question