My Drive...

Just noticed this morning that MyTomTom is now MyDrive (ye gods, what a moniker! :) ). I quite honestly didn't know what was up at first. The program updated okay, except that it prompted me to update Speed Cameras (mine have been outdated since I got the unit- a "known issue" according to CS o_O). When I hit the button, all I got was a "Page 404". Sigh.

I have to say I was disappointed when I actually got in there. I was hoping for an interface as useful as TTHome, but it was mostly all show and very little go. Seemed pretty much MyTT with some scenery...

Anyway, the reason for the post was that I didn't see mention of it here, so I thought I'd throw it up (pun intended).

Regards, Kyuzo.

Last edited:
You can do two things to ease the pain.
First, in Overview if Update is shown, you can click > More info, right underneath.
In the MY ITEMS AND UPDATES row you can remove the check mark for the item you do not want.
Second, if you now click ion that large icon a drop down detailed description will show.

I am not sure if Traffic is a separate life time item and if you have to purchase a separate speed camera subscription.
On my non life time GO LIVE 1535 those seem to be listed as separate items.

If you go to Live Services > My Services you may see different line items with expiry dates.
I do not know about your TM version.

Thanks.

Not so much pain as a forlorn hope...

I'll have to check out the features. Like I say, the reworked interface caught me a bit by surprise. I had to go over to TTDiscussions (I'd sworn I would not return there, but I didn't know what was going on otherwise...) to figure out whether my browser has misdirected or if the program was new.

As I said, I was hoping the new software would offer some new capabilities closer to TTHome.

Regards, Kyuzo.

If you check and the speed camera subscription does not show as expired, maybe it is time to contact you friendly CS again, or go for root canal, whichever you like better.

Careful, comrade! If TomTom CS finds you referring me to them after the row I had with them a while back, you may become an EX-moderator! :D

My GO Live 1535TM is working better than it was (which doesn't say much!), and until the HD subscription runs out in September 2014 that's all I can hope for! ;)

Jokes aside, upon finding the new software, I had hoped that it was going to be an interface that allowed the versatile "inside the GPS" access that Home had. Every time I plan a trip with this GO, I find myself missing being able to do everything via PC like I used to do on my (now my sister's) One XL.

Reminds me of a saying: "Well, you put a dress on that pig, now you take her to the dance!" :D

Regards!

Careful, comrade! If TomTom CS finds you referring me to them after the row I had with them a while back, you may become an EX-moderator! :D
The good news -- not one of us is a TomTom employee. Just a collection of users who, like you, have our own gripes, and for whatever reason, volunteered as moderators here!

As I remember, you also didn't want to be a beta tester........

Or am I thinking of another Arno? :cool:

Talk about a thread derailing...

Geez, what happens to a TomTom Beta tester? You head out for the Mojave Desert and the GPS announces "You have reached your destination" just as you careen into the Gulf of Mexico? :confused:

That's pretty optimistic, Kyuzo. You think a brand new design could get somebody from Toronto to the Mojave?

Hey, I'm just happy if my GO stays up long enough to get me to work! I know where work is, I just want the TT to tell me.

Is it a bad sign when you keep the TomTom in the car for conversation? I have a CB, but I don't think anyone talks on those anymore.:D

Actually, the GO acquitted itself surprisingly well during my 700-mile trip with my elderly sister to the beach and back (what a disaster otherwise!) . It gave me one HUGE misdirect south of Asheboro, NC which I caught in time and shut itself down just before the junction of 2 major highways in South Carolina. Overall, it did great. That's what frustrates me so about the thing. It's a GREAT navigator, but mine's a castle built on sand...

Is it a bad sign when you keep the TomTom in the car for conversation? I have a CB, but I don't think anyone talks on those anymore.:D
Um... 10-4 good buddy. That's definitely Dr. Phil material. When you just say "Hey TomTom" in order to get it to respond. Speaking of which -- was yours a late enough version to get that particular update in the last code release? We heard it was available for units from May production onward.

What was the story of the misdirection in Asheboro? Not a very big place to get misdirection in, much less around.

As I remember, you also didn't want to be a beta tester........
Or am I thinking of another Arno?
You got the right Arno but memory seems to be playing tricks on you. Also, memory seems to be playing tricks on you.

Wrong scenario, I objected to some terms and conditions in the NDA.

OK. Just to wander back to the topic at hand...

MyDrive is pretty much just a 're-skinning' of My TomTom. However, the UI is a bit nicer if you have multiple units in that it's more obvious that it wants you to switch logins, etc. Supposed to be a few bug fixes, too. The content vs. installed info is a bit clearer, though I never had any trouble understanding it the 'old way'.

As near as I can determine, I don't have the "Hey TomTom". It was my understanding that my unit would not get it. I'm still wondering if Amazon didn't sell me a refurbished unit as a new one. After all, when registering, I got 30 days on HD instead of 1 year...

The misdirection was a sort of mixed media misdirection. Just south of Asheboro on NC74, there was a split where you took 74 to the left, 73 to the right. Everything had gone smooth as glass until that junction. The interstate becomes 4 lanes-2 left, 1 middle 1 right (as I remember). The GO's voice kept intoning "Keep left...keep left...keep left..." and the map showed the same. As we neared the exit to the right, the VOICE kept saying "Keep left..." but EXACTLY at the exit, the MAP showed the path to diverge right, off the exit. Fortunately, I was able to swerve across the three lanes (I was in the far left lane) and hit the exit through its painted median lines. I need to check the route again and report it. Just haven't had the urge.

My elderly sister insisted that it was a trap laid for us by TomTom as I had been sparring with CS the week prior! :D

Admittedly, this kind of thing isn't a TomTom thing alone. GPSTracklog has a current blog going about a Garmin doing the same thing.

More serious was when the unit simply shut down just prior to a junction of 2 SC highways. I had to pull over and soft reset the blasted thing twice before it would continue. Yet after that, it did pretty well.

Possible that you got one produced earlier. In that same time frame, I heard about people getting 1 year Live subscriptions instead of 30 days. Not sure what the story was there.

"Keep left" is one of my MAJOR pet peeves with these units, and I've harped on it to TomTom any number of times, but it's nothing new. Nav2 units did this, too.

A "keep left", if instead properly understood as an "avoid far right", actually makes sense - though how is one to know that? What likely happened is that you were approaching a right turn only lane, and the device was trying to keep you from prematurely leaving the highway on that exit.

If I'm following your specifics, this would actually have happened when northbound, NORTH of Asheboro. Sounds like they've finally finished the exit to 73, which exits left and loops over 74 to the west. Does the current TomTom map even have that intersection corrected yet? It used to just be 311 to the NW, but now it's I-74 / 311 on the same road, different interchange configuration.

You may be correct on the age of my GO. My unit has an old-fashioned box with a drawn picture of what looks like an XL or a older European GO. The GO boxes in my local Best Buy are black. Doesn't matter. I've made my peace- live and learn. My Garmin will come from Best Buy or Costco...

Back to business. I honestly wish I could remember where the error occurred. At the time I was busy driving a route I'd never taken, the GO had just gone bonkers, and my sister was breaking my chops. I'm fairly certain the event occurred after, and south of Asheboro. Perhaps it wasn't 73 and 74. I'll get my GO later tonight and reroute and perhaps I can tell where it happened.

I do like the "Keep left" warning if I'm in unfamiliar territory or in nasty city driving. If it gets me through the hairiness, it can say "Keep left" a million times for all I care- if keeping left is actually what I need to do! :D

I will say that despite the initial bad taste left due to the switch by Amazon (they obviously substituted the GO for the more expensive VIA on purpose), the enmity that has occurred between me and TomTom's "second team", and the early problems I had with the GO locking up and getting confused and then MyTomTom constantly prompting to update when there were no updates available (all just prior to my trip), overall the GO did a great job. We left about 5 o'clock on Sunday morning headed back from the beach in a pouring rain and the sun didn't lighten the day until about 8 o'clock. The GO led me through some gnarly looking, swampy highways and straight back home. The trip back was uneventful with no errors. Also, it seemed to me that the GO's Live Traffic worked more reliably with the standard USB cable than the RDS receiver cord.

However, I will know NEVER to activate the school warning POI again. Honestly, that little crossing guard icon and bell drove us crazy, even in desolate areas where the only school might have been in a Native American village 500 years ago!

Hmm.. the GO is, unless there's something odd going on, consistently more expensive than a Via unit. If I recall, you were hoping for a Via 1535 and got a GO 1535. Trust us -- the GO 1535 is everything the Via is and more, and if they were selling it for less, you got a good deal. That said, it does make me wonder WHY they were going for less. Perhaps your refurb idea was correct.

I think the general gist on Amazon is that the GO is only superior to the VIA provided you have the HD services active. Otherwise, you're saddled with a hamstrung Live unit (much like free versions of paid software that ends up having 10 inactive buttons in the menu! ;)). I have to say I personally felt this way. That's why I wanted the Via. I don't plan on renewing the Live services. I should have returned the unit, but I fell to the siren's call of Bluetooth and wireless do-dads.

Anyway, that's old news and I didn't mean to get back into that.

One thing I DO plan on is- despite the fact that I don't Tweet- I want to take a trip and Tweet my locations as I go! The only thing that would make Live better is if the GO could put my trip locations on my Facebook page ( " Bill LIKES the restroom at the I-84 Petro Truck Stop!" )! :D

Ask a Question