Multiple routes?

In my line of work we visit multiple destinations in any one day. Is there a way to input multiple destinations in my TomTom (One 3rd ed) or am I limited to one route at a time?

In my line of work we visit multiple destinations in any one day. Is there a way to input multiple destinations in my TomTom (One 3rd ed) or am I limited to one route at a time?

Here's how I would do this. I would enter the day's destinations as POIs. (But first I would have to create a POI category called something like 'Today's Routes'.) Each destination would be dropped into the POI category. You select a colored icon to show up on the map.

Now, when you browse the map, you see all of your destinations clearly marked with a distinctive colored dot. It's up to you to choose the most appropriate order for doing the route. Just navigate to the first POI, then a new route to the next one, etc.

At the end of the day, delete the contents of this category and fill it up with new destinations the following day.

You could do this using Favorites, but they all look the same on the map - a star. You would confuse them with any other favorites you might have.

Here's how I would do this. I would enter the day's destinations as POIs. (But first I would have to create a POI category called something like 'Today's Routes'.) Each destination would be dropped into the POI category. You select a colored icon to show up on the map.

Now, when you browse the map, you see all of your destinations clearly marked with a distinctive colored dot. It's up to you to choose the most appropriate order for doing the route. Just navigate to the first POI, then a new route to the next one, etc.

At the end of the day, delete the contents of this category and fill it up with new destinations the following day.

You could do this using Favorites, but they all look the same on the map - a star. You would confuse them with any other favorites you might have.

46jimbo, thanks for describing this technique! After reading through archived "itenerary" posts to get familiar with that feature, this technique is precisely what I am doing now with my new 730 (about 3 weeks old, now). I make it even a bit easier by only ever showing my own personal POIs on the map anyways-- and if even THAT gets too cluttered to see the 'Today's Route' POIs, I can even turn those personal POIs off, as well-- so that ONLY the 'Today's Route' POIs are visible.

At first, I was extremely disappointed that there was no 'Route Optimization' available with the Itenerary feature-- leaving it up to the user to put the waypoints in 'correct' order--, but after thinking through the logic of how a program would have to sift through all of the points (especially if someone included 10-15 or more) a potentially exponential number of times-- it really would be very tricky and intensive to include on something like the 730. So, I guess just having a human brain "eyeball it" on a map, and then set the waypoints in a reasonable order, is going to have to be good enough for now....

-- The only difference, maybe, is that instead of having an actual 'Today's Route' category, and removing its content of POIs (which has to be done one at a time, I think), I really just name the category folder after that day's actual date (like '20080704') if I am only going to use it that one time-- and then just trash it completely in one step (since the only POIs in there are either copies from other folders or single-use points), and start with a fresh new category folder the next time.

multiple destinations then come back to origin

:confused: :confused: :confused:
I work for a delivery company and I just need to know if my TT720 can guide me to several destinations in the area and then come back to the point of origin in the most convenient way in order to save time and gas.
The company is something like UPS or Fedex
Regards to all
galileofigaro1

I suspect you could set the original destination as 'Home' and when you are finished your last delivery, Navigate to --> Home and pick the method you want the route planned (Fastest, shortest, etc.)

Another way is to set the original destination as a Favourite and then Navigate to -->Favourite, etc.

the one 3rd dont have it

the alternate route will give me the possibility to enter just on via point i think

It is true, the 3rd edition does not have this icon in the default menu. If you utilize my Custom Menu, in addition to the MenuTT program, you WILL have access to the itinerary Planning Icon and your original menu item. Here are the links to help you out:

Custom Menu
--> I have a menu on that page already created that you can download as well

MenuTT program
--> If you want access to the Mapshare icon and Help Me! icon and a few other icons that TomTom didn't make available for the Custom menus, you'll need this program

Using Google Maps and Itinerary Planning
--> This will explain how to generate multiple routes using Google Maps

:confused: :confused: :confused:
I work for a delivery company and I just need to know if my TT720 can guide me to several destinations in the area and then come back to the point of origin in the most convenient way in order to save time and gas.
The company is something like UPS or Fedex
Regards to all
galileofigaro1

I would use itinerary planning so can "force" the TomTom 720 to route the way you want to take.

See my previous post that has a link to using Google, TYRE, and itinerary planning.

Ask a Question