mp3 files are duplicated???

I just bought a 16gb sd card and converted all of my aac files to mp3, created an mp3 folder on the card and to test it out before adding the whole library, I dragged 3 songs into the folder. The songs show up on the tomtom and they are on the sd card and they play so that works.
The problem is
that i added 3 songs, and it says i have 6 songs, each song I added, the tomtom 720 created a duplicate with a ".#" in front of the title. So for example, swing life away is on there, and so is ".11 swing life away"
And when it shuffles through songs, it comes across those small ".#" files and gets an error message and says one moment please, and plays a second of the song and continues to the next song

How do you get around this??? do I have to use a card reader instead of the tomtom? would that help?
Anyone know? thank you for your help

I would try it with a card reader, but as its a 16GB card your reader will need to be SDHC type for it to work, normal SD card readers don't work correctly with these cards.

Your TomTom needs the latest software installed to be using SDHC cards so make sure its up to date, tap the sat strength meter followed by the version box, the resultant screen will give you lots of information about the device, what are the numbers on the second line where it says "App" 8,351 is currently the latest. To update the application use TomTom Home via your computer.

Are you using a PC or MAC? I have seen file transfer issues involving duplication when using MAC's - Mike

I am using a mac and I do have the latest software installed, and I ordered some card reader off ebay, hopefully that will work.

I tried it out in the sd card reader, I erased the songs and added 4 new ones. And 8 show up on the tomtom, 4 of the being the "." files.
These have been out for a couple years someone has to have figured this out by now right? Cant find a solution

Do a google search on 'dots copying Mac files' and see lots of hits on the issue.

oh so its mac os thats doing it, basically what I found out is that there is no way to stop it. I wonder if i put my card reader into my girlfriends pc if the .files would show up, I could delete them? or maybe I have to transfer my 8 gig library to a pc and then add them onto the card.
Anyone else with a mac solved this?

Ok, that was easy. I copied my library to the card, put the card in the reader in a pc, and deleted all of the "." files. Easy fix.
Now, I connected a cable from the line out (headphone) jack on the tomtom to the aux in port on my stereo, and selected line out for music under preferences, and no good, still using the internal speaker. I took it inside and tried it out with some headphones, its not working.
Any ideas?

Assuming you do indeed have a proper cable and it is inserted into the proper opening on the bottom of the unit, the only thing I could see in the manual that may be an issue is this:

You cannot listen to your car stereo and use the audio cable to play sound
from your GO on the car stereo at the same time

Also, you're supposed to get a visual confirmation on screen of the TT when the audio is going to external speakers. Did you see that?

hmm...a visual confirmation? something pops up? I was not getting that, Im going to keep playing around thanks for the help

Yep, in the manual, it says this:

Your GO will confirm that when the device is connected, the sound you have selected will be played through the audio cable.

Ask a Question