Max Speed Reading

sab

TomTom Model(s)
540M XXL
With the latest update on my XL under STATUS BAR PREFERENCES there is the option of checking off SHOW MAX SPEED NEXT TO SPEED.

I have it checked off but don't see it on my status bar. Anyone else try this?

I've never been to Canada so I personally can't confirm. Most probably the speed limits are not included in the maps. The speed limit is shown for all highways, major and semi-minor European roads. Some very minor roads are also not shown.

I've never been to Canada so I personally can't confirm. Most probably the speed limits are not included in the maps.
But this is a big problem. Searching through previous threads on the issue, I came across a reply TomTom had sent to someone who inquired about it... basically, they said "gee, sorry... the TeleAtlas people are supposed to put that information in the maps, and I guess it's not there."

Very few (if any) people in US/Canada are reporting that the Max Speed feature is working. So, TomTom units here are essentially crippled, as the absence of this data causes this advertised feature not to function, as well as renders the ETA feature unusable if your route includes substantial travel on roads for which the TomTom is underestimating the speed. It also presumably is affecting routing decisions.

The TomTom website says "Information about speed limits is included with the latest maps (version 6.5 or higher) and is not available for all roads."

Fine... it would be unreasonable to complain about the lack of speed data on a dirt road out in the country. But apparently NO roads in the US have speed data.

--Michael

Ask a Question