Mapshare?

TomTom Model(s)
Quick question for anyone that may know. Will this new Mapshare be available on the 910 and older TomTom's in the future? They say with "10 million +" users it will be a great tool, but think about it, these 10 million + people won't be purchasing the 720 or 520 which it is avail on now. What about us current users?

Anyone know? Thanx

(sorry, Just realized this post shouldn't be in this thread, I understand if someone moves it where it's supposed to go!)

Last edited:
Is it true as I've read in some reviews that the download input from other users portion of the "Mapshare" feature is only available for free for a limited amount of time (What I've been reading is one year) and then after that point you will have to pay to use it? I understand that you will likely be able to correct your own maps as much as you want, but it seems as though you will only be able to download others corrections for cash after a certain time period...

Am I totally off the mark?

Last edited:
Actually, I'm under the same impression as you scmgoblue. It seems as though they are going to a subcription model for maps.

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out when the so called trial period of free updates from Mapshare is over.

I've not heard anything about a trial period. If that is the case, they certainly should have made that known before they sold the product with MapShare as a feature.

I love the MapShare on mine, though.

Isn't it a bit rude to charge TT's users for a service that updates maps using free input from TT users?????? They should be paying *you* for the updates! :rolleyes:

(Ignore me, I'm still annoyed that MapShare isn't suported on Australian maps:eek: )

Isn't it a bit rude to charge TT's users for a service that updates maps using free input from TT users?????? They should be paying *you* for the updates! :rolleyes:
[/SIZE]

Took the words right out of my brain, BlackRBWag! That's like charging for being a Beta tester or making you pay to report a software bug.

This is a HUGE benefit for TomTom. Every time TomTom does a new map release, they have to map a map source fee (to Navteq, TeleAtlas, etc.). TomTom doesn't make much (reportedly none) profit on map updates. This allows them to significantly stretch the time between map updates, using our corrections to pacify the masses who crave more frequent map updates. Saves them work (generating the maps from source data, support staff supporting the update, etc.), saves them money, and we get a little benefit in there of basically free updates, but that's only as long as you can rely on the peer updates and as long as TomTom doesn't start charging for the service.

Frankly, charging for Mapshare is about the only thing that would get me to drop TomTom immediately and switched to something else.

I sent TomTom an email today asking what their projected price for mapshare updates would be after the 12 month trial period. I will let you know the answer as soon as, or if, I get a reply.

Mapshare for Nav. 7 planned???

Does any one know if TT is planning on making Mapshare compatible with Nav 7 for the Palm 700p?

Well its a week on and no reply from TomTom so I suppose that its a case of buyer beware. Has customer service and satisfaction disappeared from the business world? Has TomTom decided that they are a law unto themselves?
Seems to me that they disregard their customers at their peril because I for one have had it with them.

I sent TomTom an email today asking what their projected price for mapshare updates would be after the 12 month trial period. I will let you know the answer as soon as, or if, I get a reply.

I had a similar question that someone found the answer to on TomTom's web site.

https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=110&page=4

? For each map, we generate and update a database of map corrections for up to one year. After one year, this database will no longer be updated with new map corrections, but can still be downloaded by anyone using that map version. In order to continue receiving new map corrections you will be asked to purchase a new map version which already contains the corrections reported by you and other users previously, as well as the changes made by the map provider

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=7244&Lid=1

I saw this official TomTom explanation as well, and it seems reasonable to me. We can't expect them to continue with MapShare updates to a particular map version indefinitely.

I'd like to see the start & end dates for each map version. If I have a unit (Apr 07) with maps that are almost 2 years old then I may be screwed for updates. Does anyone know when map 6.50 was released?:confused:

MapShare

The way I understand it, when a new map version is released, you will have to buy the new map to continue to recieve map updates, but you can still submit updates.

Do they ever actually use the map updates you send them? I sent them a map update of a major road which was missing the first week that MapShare was implemented, and after about a month with no update, I submitted it again, and they still don't have it added. From what I can tell, they just ignore and map updates you send them.

The way I read their statement map updates should include new roads as well because I don't see any caveats limiting what gets updates. If that be the case then kudos to TomTom. If they leave out road adds and updates then shame on them.

I had a similar question that someone found the answer to on TomTom's web site.

https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=110&page=4

? For each map, we generate and update a database of map corrections for up to one year. After one year, this database will no longer be updated with new map corrections, but can still be downloaded by anyone using that map version. In order to continue receiving new map corrections you will be asked to purchase a new map version which already contains the corrections reported by you and other users previously, as well as the changes made by the map provider

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=7244&Lid=1

Ask a Question