Mapshare Mechanics

TomTom Model(s)
Anyone know how MapShare updates the maps? I'm interested in figuring out what updates I'm receiving from TomTom, but when I look in the North America Map folder, none of the files dates modified correspond to when I got an "update." Same can be said in the root folder.

I know I may not be able to figure out what updates I'm receiving, but it would give me a warm and fuzzy to see things are updating.

Anyone have any idea?

Anyone know how MapShare updates the maps? I'm interested in figuring out what updates I'm receiving from TomTom, but when I look in the North America Map folder, none of the files dates modified correspond to when I got an "update." Same can be said in the root folder.

I know I may not be able to figure out what updates I'm receiving, but it would give me a warm and fuzzy to see things are updating.

Anyone have any idea?

I haven't figured out which files contain the exact MAP updates yet, however the POIs that are updated come in filenames (in the map folder) that look like the following:
CA7314.ov2
CA7376.ov2
PA7315.ov2
PA9361.ov2

I haven't figured out which files contain the exact MAP updates yet, however the POIs that are updated come in filenames (in the map folder) that look like the following:
CA7314.ov2
CA7376.ov2
PA7315.ov2
PA9361.ov2

I believe I read somewhere that those .ov2's starting with P are provided by Mapshare users and those with a C are provided by TomTom itself. The numbers refer to the 4 digit reference file that TT associates with each type of poi category. Once in a while I see that file posted, usually in a British tomtom forum. If I stumble upon it, I'll link it here.

I don't know about specific file updates, but if you want to know how many MapShare updates you've received and are using, just install the latest version of TomTom Home (v2.2.0.33 or something like that) and it will tell you in the upper righthand corner of the home page.

...at least that's the theory. Some people (including me) couldn't get it to work at first, and it was reporting erroneous numbers.

I don't know about specific file updates, but if you want to know how many MapShare updates you've received and are using, just install the latest version of TomTom Home (v2.2.0.33 or something like that) and it will tell you in the upper righthand corner of the home page.

...at least that's the theory. Some people (including me) couldn't get it to work at first, and it was reporting erroneous numbers.
I still want to know exactly what the mapshare updates have actually changed. At the moment, I have a sneaking suspiscion that a damned good share of those updates are changed POIs and nothing to do with road changes...

I still want to know exactly what the mapshare updates have actually changed. At the moment, I have a sneaking suspiscion that a damned good share of those updates are changed POIs and nothing to do with road changes...

Well, according to other threads on the subject here, Map Share doesn't actually do road changes, so you're probably right -- it's probably all POI's, and editing, deleting, and adding POI's has been a feature in versions of TomTom long before Map Share was ever even thought about.

In the other MapShare thread, I posted three FAQs that I found, that appear to speak to getting road updates via MapShare, and then one final one that appears to suggest that they will only send those updates via periodic map updates.
I've sent a question to TomTom for clarification on that - let's see what they say about it.

Road Name Changes

For what it's worth, I changed the name of a local road, sent it through map share, and the new road name appears on my 920. I don't know if it is going through the system, but at least it's fixed on my unit!

That's a local fix... Unfortunately that's of limited use in some cases because it changes the name of a whole road. I can think of at least two roads just in my area that the name of it changes 1/2 way down the road - and it is impossible to report that without changing the whole road name. It should allow you to select a point from A to B to change...

In the other MapShare thread, I posted three FAQs that I found, that appear to speak to getting road updates via MapShare, and then one final one that appears to suggest that they will only send those updates via periodic map updates.
I've sent a question to TomTom for clarification on that - let's see what they say about it.

US$10 says that won't say anything in reply. The public misconception of Map Share is just now starting to rear its ugly head. Whether TomTom meant to release it with such a misleading description or whether it was a language barrier thing...who knows? But it's been marketed by TomTom in a rather misleading way, and even their own FAQ's have just muddied the water further.

For what it's worth, I changed the name of a local road, sent it through map share, and the new road name appears on my 920. I don't know if it is going through the system, but at least it's fixed on my unit!

Can you give me the road name and lat/long? I'll look at it on mine and see if it's "updated"

CA7314.ov2
CA7376.ov2
PA7315.ov2
PA9361.ov2

Yeah, I've got those, but the dates those files are created don't match when I update. Actually, I just took another look and a new one matches. I tried to open the file in Tyre, and Tyre tells me it's not a valid POI file or the file in encrypted.

Tom Tom is really making this hard to see what exactly has been updated.

Well, I just did another update from Home, and it downloaded some map share updates. No new ov2 files, but it did update the following files:

ServerLineIndex.dat
MapServerPatch.dat
ServerNameIndex.dat

I guess we'll never know what actual updates we're supposed to be receiving. :rolleyes:

Which "other MapShare thread"? I searched but didn't come up with this thread, can you post the URL to it? Thanks.

Here's the reply... Take it as you want...

Subject
MapShare inconsistencies in the FAQ

Discussion Thread
Response (ST Tracey)02/06/2008 11:23 AM
Dear SShadow,
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support. It is our goal to provide you with an exceptional customer experience. We are more than happy to assist you with your inquiry regarding the new Map Share feature.
For each map, we generate and update a database of map corrections for up to one year.

After one year, this database will no longer be updated with new map corrections, but can still be downloaded by anyone using that map version. In order to continue receiving new map corrections you will be asked to purchase a new map version which already contains the corrections reported by you and other users previously, as well as the changes made by the map provider.

If you have any further questions or comments, please email or call us at 866-486-6866 Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM until 7:00 PM EST. Thanks again for writing. At TomTom we believe in showing you the way the easy way.
With Best Regards,
Tracey and The TomTom Customer Support Team

Customer (SShadow)02/05/2008 09:29 PM
OK, on the following three linked FAQs, it is said we will receive user corrections to maps via MapShare.
http://www.tomtom.com/support/solution.php?GID=1&PID=1679&SID=0&CID=224&Language=4&FID=3068
http://www.tomtom.com/support/solution.php?GID=1&PID=1679&SID=0&CID=224&Language=4&FID=3071
http://www.tomtom.com/support/solution.php?GID=1&PID=1679&SID=0&CID=224&Language=4&FID=3071
But in this final one, it says that the user submitted information will be provided in future, periodic updated maps.
http://www.tomtom.com/support/solution.php?GID=1&PID=1679&SID=0&CID=224&Language=4&FID=2374

Can you so kindly provide an accurate answer to this? If we submit map changes (added or corrected roads, for example) are we going to receive those updates via MapShare? Or are we going to have to purchase new map versions to receive these updates?

This is a major concern because there are areas where the maps provided with your units are severely outdated or incorrect (I've read at least one case where an on/off ramp has existed for 40 years, yet it's not included in the map).

If I spend the time reporting problems with the maps, I want to know I am going to be able to reap the benefit - otherwise TomTom is reaping the benefit of my hard work - and then charging me for the privilege.

Thanks for your time.

I just registered so i can participate in this discussion. I feel compelled to speak.
I am concerned about the misrepresentation; not the " lack of consumer information". LETS NOT GET THE TWO CONFUSED.

The term MAPSHARE implies onething.

The term POISHARE implies onething.

The term POSSHARE also implies something (sry:couldn't resist).

If YOU were head of marketing which one would YOU choose??

One implies misrepresentation/others would be closer to the truth!!

We deserve at least to receive ALL OUR OWN CORRECTIONS .

Last edited:
ACcording to a TT Level 3 tech i spoke w/ Mapshare does not make changes to the Geometry of your map. Therefore if you add a road or move a road it will not show up in your map, TT uses this data to update their maps that they sell to you.

As stated earlier POI changes, road closures, road directions (one ways, etc), will show up and are distributed to others.

ACcording to a TT Level 3 tech i spoke w/ Mapshare does not make changes to the Geometry of your map. Therefore if you add a road or move a road it will not show up in your map, TT uses this data to update their maps that they sell to you.

As stated earlier POI changes, road closures, road directions (one ways, etc), will show up and are distributed to others.
I just submitted a follow up question based on your information. Let's see what they say this time around...

Ask a Question