Mapshare ended sooner than a year...

Internetpilot

TomTom Model(s)
GO700 (Updated)
I didn't get the v7.15 maps because it didn't include my new neighborhood. I did just buy the v7.20 maps, but only because I had to in order for MapShare to continue working (and coincidentally it also includes most of the new roads in my neighborhood). I bought the v7.10 maps back in November 2007 when I updated the application to v7.xx to get the MapShare feature (only to then discover that I needed to update my maps to get that feature). It's now just July/August 2008, and the MapShare feature stopped working because it said my map version was beyond the one year MapShare expiration.

Anyone else had this happen to them. I'm pretty sure that I upgraded to v7.xx within days of its release, but is the expiration date set from when the map is released or from when I installed it? Even if it's from the release date, TomTom must be using the release date of MapShare devices instead of MapShare maps, because MapShare capable maps were not available in August 2007.

Man, I hope this doesn't happen to me. I wonder if this is why they offered the discount on the maps last month. All the while, not telling us that they were going to pull the rug out from underneath us!!! I'm probably going to connect to HOME for an update tomorrow

Chris....

when you log into your account at TomTom and see what's there, until what date does it show that you can download your new map to? It is supposed to be 1-yr from first download.

Well, if your year still has time to go, time to call CS at TomTom and complain.

(Saying what your role is here may not hurt either ... ;) )

Man, I hope this doesn't happen to me. I wonder if this is why they offered the discount on the maps last month. All the while, not telling us that they were going to pull the rug out from underneath us!!! I'm probably going to connect to HOME for an update tomorrow
UPDATE:
I updated yesterday after not having plugged in for a week, and I got NO mapshare updates! I bought my map in November, and I'm not going to buy another one at least until then. I can't believe that they would just cut people off like this, and not even give a warning.

UPDATE:
I updated yesterday after not having plugged in for a week, and I got NO mapshare updates! I bought my map in November, and I'm not going to buy another one at least until then. I can't believe that they would just cut people off like this, and not even give a warning.

There is some suspicion that TT's Mapshare servers are down (again :mad: ) as of yesterday. Try again today ... or tomorrow ... :(

6PM EST & servers are working. [V8 FW & MAPS]

I was thinking Mapshare was a Feature of TT and not a subscription $ based add-on.

Other than "servers" being down, Mapshare should work foreverly free ?? Right ??

I was thinking Mapshare was a Feature of TT and not a subscription $ based add-on.

Other than "servers" being down, Mapshare should work foreverly free ?? Right ??

Yes, but... Here's what TomTom says about it.

1 For each map, we generate and update a database of map corrections for up to one year. After one year, this database will no longer be updated with new map corrections, but can still be downloaded by anyone using that map version. In order to continue receiving new map corrections you will be asked to purchase a new map version which already contains the corrections reported by you and other users previously, as well as the changes made by the map provider.

While you can download it it's really only good for a year. You'll have to buy new maps in order to keep receiving updates.

1 For each map, we generate and update a database of map corrections for up to one year. After one year, this database will no longer be updated with new map corrections, but can still be downloaded by anyone using that map version. In order to continue receiving new map corrections you will be asked to purchase a new map version which already contains the corrections reported by you and other users previously, as well as the changes made by the map provider.

While you can download it it's really only good for a year. You'll have to buy new maps in order to keep receiving updates.

correct. also, once you update your maps, you lose all the mapshare updates you've had up until that point (as many of the map changes have already been integrated into the new maps).

Yeah, well my year is up in November. It's hard to believe that they would be able to keep track of the time everyone buys their maps. I guess that could be tracked in HOME. If they are using a cut-off by calender year, they should tell everyone that they're doing that.

if you read what tomtom says about it, it doesn't matter what month you bought your unit. if the map came on line in august for instance, it won't be mapshare supported any more than the following august. they're not tracking the date users bought, just the date the maps came into existence.

if your latest map guarantee happens to give you a map that has been in existence for a couple of months, then you'd see a couple of months less mapshare updates.

no more mapshare updates....well, that's not something that's gonna concern me too much. A neat feature while it lasts, but when it ends my tomtom is still gonna work same as before. :D

Ask a Question