Maps from one to another

From what I read, each map is coded to a specific TT? So this means that if I baught a map of EU and stored it on my SD card and the Unit needs to be replaced, I have to buy the map again? I cannot just plug my SD card into the replacement unit and be good to go? I have to re-purchase the EU map? This seems crazy to me. Has anyone tried this?

Unfortunately, that is how things work now without intervention from TomTom Support. I mean, when users send their units in for repair under warranty, they often get a refurbished unit in its place.

I know that if you copy your map folder to your hard drive using Explorer prior to sending in the unit and then restoring when the unit is returned, that sometimes works. Others here may have better information. And, as I said, Support may have more information.

Also, when you buy a map, you do have 1 year to continually dl it to the SAME unit originally purchased for.

You should not have to purchase a new map. You would assign your new device to your TomTom account, and it will download the map for one year from the purchase.

If it happened after one year, you still might be able to get TomTom support to help you with that specific map.

While I have not tried it, I'm pretty sure you would not have any problem with TT regarding this provided you keep records of your purchased map and the unit replacement. Their policy comes down to this: one map for one TT unit and if the unit is replaced and you can prove the map was for this unit, I can't see any problem particularly if you have records to support your claim.

I agree with GAW.
Contact Support and explain the situation. They should be helpful and reload the map to your new account.

Ask a Question