Map Updates

TomTom Model(s)
I have a TomTom 720 purchased in 2007 and does not have free map updates. The TomTom website wants $72 for 1 year of map updates. I can buy a brand new GPS (different brands) for $100+ that comes with Lifetime map updates so why would I continue with TomTom?
Am I missing something here? Please fill me in.:confused:

Every company prices their maps differently. It is not just the map quality but the quality of routing that should be taken into consideration. Only TomTom has IQ routing for its 720 (and other models) and that means using historical data incorporated into every new map release with a result that ETA's are more accurate and routing is more precise for selections such as 'faster'.

Other brands don't have that functionality so, while maps might be cheaper, the routing from point A to B might be inferior to a route using a TomTom.

I have a TomTom 720 purchased in 2007 and does not have free map updates. The TomTom website wants $72 for 1 year of map updates. I can buy a brand new GPS (different brands) for $100+ that comes with Lifetime map updates so why would I continue with TomTom?
Am I missing something here? Please fill me in.:confused:
TomTom is also offering similar deals these days on new units that include Lifetime maps. I bought my TomTom XXL540 GPS with both Lifetime maps and Lifetime traffic for less than $100 about a year ago.

When you bought your 720 in 2007, no company offered Lifetime maps, but the competitiveness of the marketplace has pushed almost everyone into doing so now. If my memory is correct, TomTom offered Lifetime maps in North America before Garmin did, and Garmin offered Lifetime maps in Europe before TomTom. Garmin was the market leader in North America, and TomTom was the market leader in Europe, so in each case this was a way for #2 to attempt to become #1.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

So, are you saying that it is better to purchase new maps every year for $79. than to purchase another navigator for a bit more, such as Garmin?? That makes no sense. Hard to believe the maps are going to be that much better quality to warrant the cost.
Tom Tom should have at least offered a Lifetime map offer to former Go 720 users. I wouldn't mind paying $100. for the lifetime map guarantee, but as it is, I am going to give my Tom Tom (paid $400.00 when new) away, warning the maps are not dependable and purchase a Garmin. I am very disturbed with Tom Tom.

Do Garmin now offer Lifetime map updates retrospectively for all their OLD models? That's a genuine question, I don't know, but I'd be surprised if they do.

Both TomTom and Garmin NOW offer free lifetime maps on some or all of their new models.

Times change and the economics of selling sat-nav hardware and map software changes too.

No, Andy, they do not. For older Garmin units, it's the same deal .. buy a new map .. no lifetime subscriptions are available for the older units. Like TomTom, it makes more sense now to buy a Garmin that comes with the lifetime subscription than one that does not.

Ask a Question