Map Update Rip Off

:mad:I'll start this off by saying that last week (11/17) I tried to subscribe to the Map Update Service and it failed. I then tried again today and since I have 8.35 maps and in that week and a half 8.40 maps came out, Home now wants to charge me to update to the newest map for $12 and the update service costs, which are 49.99.

I called support and got "Sorry, nothing we can do". Well, there is a great way to push me to moving to a different company. Then I asked why the Map Update Service is 49.99 and she responded with "I am not sure, it used to be 39.99." Which looks to be about right as that is what the web site shows.

Is there any way in the world to get TomTom to understand that their Home software prevented me from updating in the first place for $39.99? They really seem oblivious to the fact that paying $70 to upgrade my 740 live is stupid when I can drive to Target today and get a new unit for just slight more money. And then on top of that they want me to pay the $10 per month for Live?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I think they skipped Thanksgiving and Christmas and got stuck on April Fools Day.

I got stuck in the same thing. Anyway, I upgraded in Aug to the 8.35 from 8.4 and then got the map update. She guaranteed I would get FOUR more updates, not including the 8.35. So, I paid $12 to upgrade from 8.30 to 8.35, then the $46 (or whatever it was) for an ADDITIONAL four updates. So, in effect, you paid for 5 updates.

And the LIVE 740 is $399 at Target, which includes the LMG. So, can pay $12 or so to update from 8.35 to 8.40....or pay $399 to get a new 740 and use the LMG. You'd still need the yearly update subscription for either unit. Your logic makes no sense....

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure how she guarenteed you 4 more map updates though, since it's all based on timing, not the number of updates. And unless you got it in writing, my guess is that when your twelve months are up there is a very good chance you'll have only gotten 3 updates plus the one you paid for to get into the map update service. Good luck with customer service trying to get them to give you that one more update some rep promised you 13 months ago. Granted, I'm just basing this on my experience in dealing with TomTom customer service over the past 6 months - I've got a 740 and 340.

As for the 740 Live at Target - I only mentioned them since they had the XL340S for $99 on Black Friday, you assume I'd make the same mistake twice. The 740 is nice, but not worth the money IMO. If I even stayed with TomTom I'd get an XL340S or XL340S Live which you can pick up starting around $140 from Dell right now. But I'd have to take a serious look at Garmin with their lifetime updates and cheaper connected service. And then I'd head over to Verizon and probably buy a Droid and get free map updates and put the $10 month I'd pay for Live towards my cell bill..

In this highly competitive market, it just amazes me how TomTom treats it's customers. They may have superior maps, mapping technology and devices but I don't think to most people that's not worth the costs of doing business (over the long term - up front it's pretty even).

Their website touts 4 map updates (in more than one place) over the course of the subscription. I also recorded the conversation (In GA, you only need one person's consent....and you are one of the people).

Yeah, indeed it does say 4 updates. Has anyone else her had any expierence with the situation we are talking about? Did you get 5 maps total or only 4? If I indeed will get 5 map udpdates, it will be easier to swallow the $60.00.

The map update service is new in the USA (feb 09 I think), so no one has finished a year yet.

The understanding from everything I've seen is that the service is 4 maps. If you have to "get up-to-date" first, that additional cost is outside of the 4-map allotment. Thus you pay 5 quarters for 5 maps in your scenario.

The maps are about $12.00 per quarter for the North America, North America 2GB, and Usa/Canada/Mexico maps.

They are about $10/quarter for the smaller maps like USA and Usa/Canada

Prices could change at anytime, but you're locked into the rates for the full 4 quarters when you buy the annual subscription (and you pay it all up front).

Ask a Question