Map download ? Newbie question

Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere.

I?ve just bought the map of USA & Canada, which is nearly 1 gig in size. Is there any way I can download it directly to my PC and install it in my Tom Tom Go later, as I?m concerned about the Tom Tom running out of battery power in the middle of such a long download.

The instructions appear to only offer the option of downloading the map directly to the Tom Tom itself. I?m using the latest version of the ?Home? software, if that is relevant.

Great forum - Thanks in anticipation!

Doesn't your unit charge when hooked up to the usb cable (which would be required to download even directly to the unit)

I thought that I read in others downloading reports that the file is first stored on the computer in a Tomtom download directory (generally, under documents/settings/etc in Windows) then installed from there. But others will have more definitive info.

Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere.

I?ve just bought the map of USA & Canada, which is nearly 1 gig in size. Is there any way I can download it directly to my PC and install it in my Tom Tom Go later, as I?m concerned about the Tom Tom running out of battery power in the middle of such a long download.

The instructions appear to only offer the option of downloading the map directly to the Tom Tom itself. I?m using the latest version of the ?Home? software, if that is relevant.

Great forum - Thanks in anticipation!

You don't mention what model you have but, as pointed out, the **only** way to install maps is through TomTom Home.

And, as also pointed out, it's a 2-step approach. The map is first dl to the download folder on your computer and then TTHome installs it on your unit from there.

Now then, if you have a SD card, I'd suggest putting it in the unit and then docking the unit to the computer. Start up the unit and say 'yes' to connect to the computer. Start TTHome, if it doesn't start automatically. In the menu option of TTHome, Device-->Switch installed device and select the card.

Now, TTHome should install the map on the card.

Ask a Question