Map Corrections

Can anyone explain to me what roundabout means in the Map corrections menu. Or, lead me to where I can find what it means?

It's a traffic circle. Not common at all here in the States. I only know of two--one on Fort Knox and one south of the Twin Cities in Minnesota.

If you Google it you'll get the picture.

Thanks Mike,
I googled it. Quite a lot of info. We use to have an old traffic circle near Alexandria, Louisiana. I don't know if it still exist or not. It was quite dangerous to enter the circle then try to move over a lane to keep from exiting the next exit. Pulling a travel trailer was quite and experience in that circle.

It's a traffic circle.
No, it isn't! Traffic circles and roundabouts are functionally very different.

The main difference is that traffic entering a roundabout must always yield to traffic on the roundabout. This makes roundabouts more efficient (with high traffic throughput) and much safer (for drivers and pedestrians) than traffic circles (or x-roads for that matter). For a complete list of the differences see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundabout#Difference_between_roundabouts_and_traffic_circles

To answer the OP's question; the 'Roundabout' menu can be used to report either the addition or removal of a roundabout from the map.

Because of the safety benefits they confer, many junctions are being converted to roundabouts (even in the US) in recent years, hence the need for this option.

Ask a Question