Map corrections

I have just purchased my first GPS and found a glitch in the mapping , the street numbers are in the incorrect place on a street that I nav to , I have sent Tele map a report , does anyone know what happens now as far as a correction goes.
Regards Mr T.

Hello Mr T and welcome.
Could you please be more specific.
Are you saying when navigating to an address, it's a little off?
I know that when navigating to an address it shows you the map that's a few feet off target where the house is suppose to be.

MrT

Hey
Good morning Pedro, Yes more than a little off, its the street numbering that is the problem I would say around 4-500 yards from its proper location.
I found this problem while trying out this device using known addresses to see how accurate it was and I must say I am impressed.
If I enter my work address it takes me to the correct street but directs me south instead of north it then requests a u-turn and comes up about 500 yards short.
Should I approach the address from the north then the exact opposite happens, it turns me south , then a u-turn to the north.
It navigates perfectly to a street that is exactly opposite of this address, so it definately is the numbering that is wrong.
Have you had any experience with getting replys to these problems?, I have heard that Tele Mat is not the most reliable map source in for North America.
Regards Mr T.

This is a concern many people have. I don't believe its a map issue but a GPS issue. I believe the GPS only lets you navigate to a certain degree of accuracy. It's capable of getting the exact accuracy but I don't think we have access to this. Perhaps we don't have this access because of military reasons.
Your GPS will navigate to your destination to the closest degree it can.

I don't think it could be GPS error. My experience with Garmin GPS receivers, first a 45XL, then an Etrex Vista, tells me that errors are on the order of 15-30 feet maximum most of the time. Or at least that's the reported EPE (estimated position error?), which I think is a sort of statistical way of reporting error. I would speculate that it's the database, and that the corrections which users report to the map data folks won't find their way back to our GPS receivers until they come up with a new release.

Mr T

I havent had any luck getting any response concerning my problem , they did report on there web site under my questions that the problem was resolved no explaination or return e-mail saying what if anything was done or will be done, even Tele Atlas have not replied .
I like this device very much but I am thinking of returning it due to the lack of response from them, there seems to be a mystery to everything you try to do, even the web site for there accessories is incomplete .
I even purchased a map of San Diego thinking this would be the latest version, no such thing it is much older than the map that came with the device.
Is it me or as anybody else had this experiece,as a last resort I will try a direct call and see what happens there.
Mr T.

How to correct TT accuracy

:D :D I had the same problems with mine 910 where the accuracy , was 300 to 500 yards
off....I was able to get mine to work perfectly after following the direction from TT support team ......./ Here's the the copy of the e-mail response ...:D :D

Thank you for contacting Tom Tom regarding the accuracy of your GO 910 unit. We are happy to help! At this time, we would like to remind you that you will want to manage the routes you have used on Tom Tom Home. If there is a previous route in the unit, it will go by that start destination. This will make all of your destinations a little off. If you complete this, but the problem still exists, we suggest you complete a soft reset. You will not lose any stored information by doing so. To accomplish this we suggest:

- Turn your unit off

- On the part of your unit that you would place on the base to charge, you will either see a hole and a word "reset" or simply an indentation which is your reset section

- Please use a pin or a paperclip and press that into the indentation

Once this process is completed, it should correct any problems you are having. If it does not, please repeat these steps up to 5 times, total.

Thank you again for taking the time to write us with this concern. Have a great day! Please feel free to contact us by phone also. We are available Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 7:00 PM ET. Our Customer Care number is:

1-866-486-6866

Tom Tom helps you find your way the easy way!

Pedro,
The last time I posted regarding map problems I was thinking of returning my TomTom One because of the issues I have been reading about with Tele Atlas maps for the USA, I decided to keep it as it is my first NAV device, and may have ended up with problems with another brand anyway.
To be honest I have only found the one problem which was my work address when I was checking the device initially, it so far as done a great job with trips accurately so far.
Tele Atlas did finally acknowledge reciept of my complaint and have added it to there list, maybe the lastest map upgrade from TomTom will have a correction, which I understand is coming in December and I believe is free?.
Regards Mr T.

Mr T

Good morning Pedro,
Just wanted to say thanks for the tips you give us, got another one from you this AM that is not mentioned in the manual.

I do have a question regarding itinerary planning, have you used it , I dont seem to be grabbing this part to well if you have a easy way to use this feature I would appeciate it.

Regards Mr T.

Hello Mr T

Your welcome.
Yes I have used the itinerary planning. I've used it when I make way points. Familiar waypoints shown on the map make it easier to stay oriented as you're driving around. Waypoints are favorites you create and the itinerary makes them into waypoints. I used this feature whenever I want to take a specific route and have the unit located each point and find the fastest or shortest way to get to each point until I reach my destination. You could also use trye which incorporates google earth and tomtom to make waypoints.

Ask a Question