Major, major FUBAR! Please Help!

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
I've had my GO 720 a couple of weeks and thought everything was fine. With App Ver 7.221 and N_A 710, the voice recognition was working, the text-to-speech was working. I'd spent many hours correcting local POIs.

In the unit the app version was 7.221, but on virtual TT the version showed as 7.220. (I figured I actually had ver 7.221, since the voice recognition worked.)

The map version on the TomTom was 1239.8 MB, and the version on the computer was 1723.1 MB, which I figured was more detailed. So I tried to copy the larger map to the TomTom, after removing the map from the unit. The larger map wouldn't copy - lack of space - I needed 330MB additional space (and there was less than 100 MB on it.)

So I copied the smaller map (1239.8 MB) back onto the TomTom, and it was version 705. Then nothing worked! The map display was gibberish and filled with red and yellow lines; the text was gibberish - no language I recognized.

"Update My GO" told me there was a newer version of the application, so I downloaded it; it was version 7.220.

I tried "restore" several times; I tried the reset button several times. I've tried several times to copy version 7.221 from my computer to the TomTom, and I've tried several times to copy map ver N_A 710.

Nothing has worked, yet. I don't know what else to try.

ANY help will be GREATLY appreciated. (Please don't make me have to contact TomTom Customer Support - you guys know more about this than they do... plus they have simply not responded to my last two emails.)

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Can you boot up the unit? In other words, although the map seems botched, can you get to the other icons? With the botched map showing, can you see the satellite bars in the lower right corner? If so, when you tap them, what's it say about firmware version and map version?

Anyway, you might want to try this. Delete the map from the unit using TTHome's icon to remove items from the unit. You implied you have firmware version 7.221 on the computer. Delete the application from the unit. You'll get a warning but, at this juncture, you seem to have a problem anyway.

Delete anything you see in the LoquendoTS (sp) folder on the unit (the location where all the files for the TTS 'people' are kept.

And......delete everything in the Download folder on your computer. NOT the backup folder.

At this point, you should have a unit with no maps, no ttts files, no application.

Connect the unit to the computer, start TTHome and run 'update'. See if it offers an application, and a map. It should. See whether these items can get updated properly.

Since your unit is less than a month old, you're eligible for the map guarantee which should offer the NA 7.10 version.

Also, don't be reluctant to call TomTom Support if the above suggestions aren't acceptable to you. You will get this problem resolved, one way or another.

It's better. but not right

Thanks, dhn, for your suggestions. After posting this thread last night, I continued trying various things, some of which you advised.

Currently the 720 is functioning (somewhat) but not at the previous level.

In Virtual TT, the version shows App 7.220, OS:1000 and map N_A_2GB v705.1481. Undocked, the version is App 7.221, OS:2318 and the same map.

Previously I had (on the GO720) map N_A_2GB v710.1584, and the current map (705) is not as accurate.

On TTHome it shows "On My Computer" App 7.221 (22.7 MB) (NINE copies!) as well as ver 0 (10.6MB) and ver 0 (11.7MB). Also on my computer: Map v710 (1723.1MB), map v710 (1224.8MB) and map v705 (1239.8).

Now the text-to-speech and voice recognition are partly working, but not as well as before.

I'll contact TT cust serv, although I dread that, and apparently can't expect any support re: voice recognition.

Does it make any sense to anybody that I previously had map ver 710 on the TomTom and now cannot load it?

Any ideas/suggestions/advice will be welcomed.

Thanks to all. Great forum!

TomTom Home does NOT show the correct version of the map. Known bug. Just click the satellite bars on the unit to see accurate version numbers.

There IS more than 1 version of North America 7.10; in fact, apparently, there are 3 (!!), the largest being 1.98 gigs or something close.

After making backups, of course, remove the 7.05 map from the unit if it's there. I suspect that Voice recognition will only work properly with NA 7.10 and the larger file size you listed plus firmware version 7.221 plus the support_asr.dat file.

TomTom Home does NOT show the correct version of the map. Known bug. Just click the satellite bars on the unit to see accurate version numbers.

There IS more than 1 version of North America 7.10; in fact, apparently, there are 3 (!!), the largest being 1.98 gigs or something close.

After making backups, of course, remove the 7.05 map from the unit if it's there. I suspect that Voice recognition will only work properly with NA 7.10 and the larger file size you listed plus firmware version 7.221 plus the support_asr.dat file.

Agree. both the 1.7 and 1.9GB Map look the same to me. But I do see the POI file is alot bigger on the 1.9GB Map but it will not fit into the 720 's internal memory. May be thats why people keep complaining the POI sucks. However I didnt have time to check every single POI so someone might want to confirm that.

Some answers, but not all...

After spending over 2 hours on the phone with a TT CSR today, I got some answers. Connie was very helpful and very concerned, but she also could not copy map v710 (1224.8MB) from my computer to my TomTom. Once copied it said it was v705.

Until yesterday's foul-up I'd been using a map which said it was N_A_2GB v710.1584, and was about 1.2GB. The TT CSR first said the 1.2GB map was the version without the waterways, then said it was a condensed or compressed version of the v710 N_A map. Later she said it was an improperly downloaded (truncated?) v710 N_A 1.7GB. Finally she said it was actually v705 (even though it says it is v710.)

All I know is that it thought it was v710, it included all of North America and PR, and it allowed text-to-speech and voice recognition.

We ran the clear_flash.exe a couple of times, but there was still 510MB unaccounted for (difference between memory capacity and available space.) We reformatted the TT flash memory and then the memory capacity was (almost) the same as the available space.

The current v710 maps are 1.7GB or 1.9GB - the latter includes water features (rivers & lakes, I guess) - and she said my 2GB flash memory should hold what I needed plus the 1.7GB map (N_A_2GB v710.1584.) She authorized my account to download that map (even though I already have several copies on my computer.)

So the current issue is this: I clicked to download the current map, N_A 2GB v710 (1723.1MB) and it showed remaining time to download of 5 HOURS and 30 minutes! (This is on my DSL, and I recall the first download took about 90 minutes.)

I went away for 3 hours, and when I came back the progress bar was about 40% and the time remaining was 5 hours and 20 minutes. I aborted that, disabled my antivirus software, clicked again to download, and see an estimated download time of 3 hours, 42 min.

I know 1.7GB is a large file, but what gives? Is this a problem with the TT bandwidth? Has anyone else seen unusually long dl times?

I'm going to install the N_A_2GB v710 (1.7GB) map that I already have on my computer and see if it works.

Thanks for your advice and any further suggestions

I know 1.7GB is a large file, but what gives? Is this a problem with the TT bandwidth? Has anyone else seen unusually long dl times?

I'm going to install the N_A_2GB v710 (1.7GB) map that I already have on my computer and see if it works.

Thanks for your advice and any further suggestions

TT's servers are notoriously slow. When I dl the 7.10 map, it took over 4 1/2 hours using a dsl 1 meg speed. Just start the download and do something else for the 4 or 5 hours. You may also consider a sd disk of at least 2 gigs.

Thanks, dhn, but I'll apparently have to get a 4 GB SD card, as the application and map have to be in the same place. Since the application is 22 MB and the map is almost 2 GB, a 2 GB card won't handle it. Right?

Thanks, dhn, but I'll apparently have to get a 4 GB SD card, as the application and map have to be in the same place. Since the application is 22 MB and the map is almost 2 GB, a 2 GB card won't handle it. Right?

Fred, others (I hope) will correct me if I'm wrong (which is often :cool: ) but I do believe the application can be in internal memory and maps on a sd card. I'm pretty sure about that; TomTom has an icon for 'Manage Maps' which will allow the user to select which map to use.

dhn, I hope you are correct, and I'm hoping others will weigh in on this issue. However, IIRC the TT CSR told me yesterday that the map and application have to be in the same place (SD card or internal memory.)

I don't remember where, but I've seen references in this forum to problems caused by not having the app and map in the same place.

With maps approaching 2 GB, and internal memory of 2 GB, it would seem logical that the application could look for a map wherever it needs to.

BTW a quick check at WalMart this week showed they had a 2 GB SD on sale for $20, while the cheapest 4 GB was $62.

Ask a Question