I think I make a major screw up on my xl340s

while updating my tt xl 340 s live i unplugged it before it was totally finished downloading. now, it won't do anything. I tried a reboot but it just turns off and back on with with a lot of techno mumble. Any ideas? :eek:

I am new to TT but not computers. After reading some other

posts I would say restore your backup then turn the unit on to check functionality then update again.

You might wait till others chime in as I say I am new to TT.

Last edited:
while updating my tt xl 340 s live i unplugged it before it was totally finished downloading. now, it won't do anything. I tried a reboot but it just turns off and back on with with a lot of techno mumble. Any ideas? :eek:
Ouch.

First - exactly what were you downloading when this happened? Application? Map? Regular, small maintenance updates?

Re-dock your unit, turn it on, and see if it is recognized by your computer. If so, TomTom Home will probably execute as well. Ignore that for a moment.

Let us know if you can get that far.

I was downloading regular maintenance. When I re-dock and turn it on the red X with the hand just flashes at me. Home does not execute automatically.

1. Connect to the computer. Don't have Home running.
2. Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.
3. Use Explorer to delete all the loose files in the root of the unit, NO folders or their contents.
4. Use the Hardware Device icon to disconnect your unit from the computer.
5. Connect again to the computer and start Home. You should be offered an application. Accept and install. Use the Device Disconnect icon in Home to disconnect the unit.

Any better?

I was downloading regular maintenance. When I re-dock and turn it on the red X with the hand just flashes at me. Home does not execute automatically.
Let's start simple and see where we go from there.

First, you need to perform a hard reset of your unit. If it has a small hole in the bottom with the word RESET near it, press that with a paper clip for a couple of seconds, and then try to power up the unit. If (more likely) it does not, press and hold the main power button for at least 15~20 seconds until you see the unit reboot. Let us know what that causes.

Next, with your unit connected as we discussed before, and ignoring home, and selecting My Computer (Windoze) or Finder (Mac), see if your TomTom is appearing as an external drive on your PC. If it does, try to explore it to see if you can see files there.

In order to get things working again, it will be essential that we at least be able to "see" it on your PC, even if Home doesn't recognize it yet.

Ask a Question