Love Pittsburgh, Love my Tom Tom

Flo

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
The two just don't seem to work well together. Reunion, haven't been back in years and I am driving my friends, showing my stuff with my Tom Tom. Going from Country Club in Swickley to Baldwin which takes about 1/2 hour - - Tom Tom took me right through the city doing loops around the block trying to get me on a closed route. Alerted me to turns after I had passed the streets, and the screen kept jumping around. I'd be waiting at the light to make a left then the screen would blip and tell me to turn right. Needless to say I lost my cool chick chip that night. And this is with my new map 830.2284. Have others had similar problems? Any special settings I can use. I've never had such problems going through or around other cities.

Well, the newest map is 835, not 830. That being said, do you have many poi categories listed to show on the map? More than 3 or 4 slow down the screen refresh. Also, were you located on a road surrounded by high buildings where, perhaps, the gps unit lost its sat signal?

Finally, perhaps a faulty mapshare correction caused it to try to route you through a blocked area. Try (in Home) removing all mapshare corrections, simulate the route again and see if it makes a difference. If so, may be an incorrect mapshare that was causing problems.

<Alerted me to turns after I had passed the streets...>

On the first oral instruction you have to check visually the arrow at the bottom left to have an idea where you have to turn. Relying solely on voice instructions you can miss turns, especially if you are a fast driver and street spacings are narrow.

Thanks for your prompt responses. I reviewed all my data and realized that even though I had purchased a map upgrade, it didn't load correctly. Before correcting this I mapped my route through home, removed all my POI's (which was an extensive list) and the route appeared concise and clear. I admit that I was not using the visual display and was navagating solely on the verbal instructions. I had been driving a little too fast and missed a critical route exit which placed me in the downtown area surrounded by tall buildings.
So, all your comments were right on. :eek: The next trip I will plan better, slow down and review my data. And if I am not using my own vehicle I will be sure to take along my windshield mount.

Ask a Question