Love - hate relationship with my TT

Agree with you about the points made in your last paragraph. Somebody once posted something about having the ability to drag the finger to the right on a poi showing and the rest of the data for that listing would scroll into view. I could not get that to work the last time I tried it...which was some time ago.

I've been following this thread since I'm relatively new, want to learn how to best utilize my TomTom, and only have my Garmin c550 to compare to. What I described in my first post in this thread appears to have worked for you too.

Interestingly enough though, the POI for the hospital shows up on my c550 without a street address (it does list the city and state). And given the actual address, I couldn't find any way to enter "W 9 Mile Rd" in my Garmin.

@Old Baldy.
I proceeded like this and found your hospital:
Browse Map/Find/Address/City Center/"Southfield MI"/Cursor/Find POI nearby/Hospital/Find/"Prov" ...
Your Hospital is the 5th on the list.

Thanks Lec.
What I've learned from this is that in order to reduce the search entry text while driving down the road and using the general category scans, I can use the "POI in City" (if I know a closeby city to the destination) and then scan through the available 3 screens of matches by category {eg Hospital/Clinic} BUT to realize that the mileage indicated on the matches is NOT from me to the destination (as one could expect) but rather from the city selected to the destination - so in my case, I needed to look at the matches that were much "closer", rather than look for matches that indicated the actual distance from me to the hospital.

So, the bottom line is that the TT does have the facility to find POI but it's sometimes needed to enter search text rather than simply scanning the displayed matches, and it's important to understand that the milages indicated are NOT always from your position to the location, but rather from some distant city to that location. (That's the part that got me!)

I'd say the TT is not an intuitive to use in these cases, but once you know it's little oddities, it works. I guess after 2 years of heavy usage, I'm still learning...but thanks to you guys, this is easier! :)

If it makes you feel any better, I just checked my Garmin c550, with my current location in NJ, and searched for hospitals near another city - Southfield. The distances shown on the results screen are also from the city center.

If it makes you feel any better, I just checked my Garmin c550, with my current location in NJ, and searched for hospitals near another city - Southfield. The distances shown on the results screen are also from the city center.

My wife's old Garmin C330 shows them from current location very nicely...and quickly, with distances from current location. (see my post on page 2).
Probably not an option when you're so far away as NJ, though! :)

Frustrating. I had the same problem here too. The hospital exist but it had a different name. Or every of the icon show a H. H for normal people mean hospital, but under H you have all kind of clininc, I end up the other day to liposuction clinic. I tought it was a hospital it show a H on the map.:eek:

Ask a Question