Love Hate Relationship with TT ONE-XLS

I just moved to San Diego and bought a TomTom One XL-S on the recommendation of a friend. I love the interface and the text to speech but sometimes this thing gives the SCREWIEST routing!

Today I was about 2 blocks from a Circuit City and I selected it as a destination. TT planed a route that went past the entrance, out to the freeway a few miles, turned around and came back again. Then I tried a route to Best Buy and it sent me past the proper exit on the freeway to the next one and back on a service road, probably 6-7 miles longer than it could have been. Then it had me avoid one light and intersection by going through a residential area. I don't get it.

It is so much faster to enter destinations with the TT than a Garmin, but at least the Garmin doesn't send me in circles. I have the guaranteed latest map and the software updates. Am I missing something here?

Also is there a way to download a bunch of POIs at the same time from the TT Home application. It is quite cumbersome having to page through several pages and select POI files to download 1 at a time. Is there a better way to do this?

Last edited:
Today I was about 2 blocks from a Circuit City and I selected it as a destination. TT planed a route that went past the entrance, out to the freeway a few miles, turned around and came back again. Then I tried a route to Best Buy and it sent me past the proper exit on the freeway to the next one and back on a service road, probably 6-7 miles longer than it could have been. Then it had me avoid one light and intersection by going through a residential area. I don't get it.

The routing is primarily based on the available map data. If the map data is incorrect then the routing will be also. Most likely the turn into the shopping plaza/parking lot is not in the map data from the side of the road you approached on. Enter the correction here, http://mapfeedback.teleatlas.com/mapfeedback/index.php

Many things can be corrected immediately on your own unit using mapshare, but a turn restriction is not one of them.

but at least the Garmin doesn't send me in circles
My wife was just on a business trip in Philladelphia and the sales rep she was travelling with had a garmin. When leaving their hotel in the morning on the way to a sales meeting, the garmin routed them around the block and past the entrance of the hotel from which they had just left. She is not found of gps units but commented that she would never buy a garmin after this experience.

Also is there a way to download a bunch of POIs at the same time from the TT Home application. It is quite cumbersome having to page through several pages and select POI files to download 1 at a time. Is there a better way to do this?
You would think TomTom would have corrected this already. Trying to install anything from TT Home is frustrating. But currently there is no workaround that I know of. If you have downloaded POI files from tomtomforums.com or other places you can just dump them in the map folder on your device using any file manager.

Go here and download this poi database. should have everything you need.

unzip the two files and copy them to the map folder on your unit replacing the two files already there. Use a file manager to do the copy, not home.

post #64

http://tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=4998&page=7

There is no crpoi.dat file in the USA_and_Canada folder to replace. Is that a problem? What about the .ov2 files? Are they now redundant?

If I am going to install these files I will need to put an SD card in the unit. I have read that an external card does not supplement the memory in the unit, but it is used instead of the internal memory. Is this correct?

there usually is a crpoi.dat but perhaps some maps don't have it. placing it in the unit even if it is not needed won't hurt anything except take up some space.

some of the ov2 files will be redundent yes, depending on what ones you have and how extensive they are.

you'll need a 2gig card which has to have all the tomtom system files on it to work as well as the map. simplest way is to use a file manager to make a backup of your unit and then copy that backup to the sd card. the file manager needs to be set to see all files.

and yes, when the card us in, it replaces the internal memory in most units.

There is no crpoi.dat file in the USA_and_Canada folder to replace. Is that a problem? What about the .ov2 files? Are they now redundant?

If I am going to install these files I will need to put an SD card in the unit. I have read that an external card does not supplement the memory in the unit, but it is used instead of the internal memory. Is this correct?
I just did this for the first time the other night on my XL. Hopefully i can help you out.

you still want your OV2 files, because those will still come up, especially if you had added ones that aren't included in the larger set. Like ones you downloaded extra or ones you add yourself. When you overwrite the file, it won't change any of those.

You will need an SD card. I had a 2 gb laying around, so I put it in. I don't know much about the capacities, speeds etc. But mine seems to run the same speed as with the internal. But you will need a card, that POI set is around 400 mb. When you put the card in, it takes over as the memory, so you need to have everything that is on you TT on that card, maps, voices, everything. I still have 500mb free and I have tripmaster on mine and all that.

Even though it doesn't have a crpoi.dat I put it in anyways, and mine is working fine. Backup your dat file beforehand.

Now the only thing i don't like about using the card. It seems like every time i want to start up the TT i have to pop the card out and put it back in. Then it will start. If I don't do that, i can hold the power button as long as i want, and it will never turn on. Anyone know why that is?

Hope that helps.

Now the only thing i don't like about using the card. It seems like every time i want to start up the TT i have to pop the card out and put it back in. Then it will start. If I don't do that, i can hold the power button as long as i want, and it will never turn on. Anyone know why that is?

This happens every time you remove the sd card. to fix, insert the card, boot the unit and use a toothpick or similar to do a pin reset while the unit is running. hold the pin in for five seconds or so.

the unit will now turn on every time until the next time you remove the card and have to repeat the above.

This happens every time you remove the sd card. to fix, insert the card, boot the unit and use a toothpick or similar to do a pin reset while the unit is running. hold the pin in for five seconds or so.

the unit will now turn on every time until the next time you remove the card and have to repeat the above.
thanks, somewhere i totally missed the boat on that info, but I'm going to do it when i got home. When people had said pin reset to other people's questions, i was thinking that it would actually reset my tomtom, put it back to factory, lose my settings, all that, but it doesn't really make sense how it would do that...

but thanks. Although for now i have though of it as a theft protection, if someone did steal it, they would try and turn it on, and it wouldn't go, and they would think it was junked.

I bought a new 2GB SD and installed it, connected to TT home and updated the device. TT home dutifully went and got a new application and a new map. I added a voice and now I have a TT XL-S with 1GB free storage.
The process was painless.

Then I installed the new POI.dat and CRPOI.DAT and everything is good EXCEPT If I try and edit a POI, I cannot see the POI categories or edit one. Is this normal? How do you make a change to TT's supplied database?

Ok, I did some more research. The locations for Circuit City and Best Buy in the POIs are incorrect. They are off just a little bit. If I put the correct address into the navigate to function the TT routes me correctly.
I went to Map Insight and made the corrections. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Ask a Question