Lost 910 TTS Computer Voices

That was the same with my Dell, but if I wanted to ever restore to the original starting state , I press F11 while booting up and the laptop restores to its original condition.

Are the computers voices only listed when using windows explorer or it is also listed when using your unit?

Lost text to speech voices...too

I read Franks post and I am having close to the same problem.
I am not sure what happened, but I do not have my text to speech voices. I just purchased the 910, unpacked it, installed the tomtom home software, connected the TomTom. The software said there was a update available, but recommends a backup prior to the install. I backed it up, upgraded. All excited I started to go though to set the options and no TTS voices. They are not on my backup or in my voices folder. I followed advice from franks thread and in my "LoquendoTTS" folder I only have a sub folder called "Lib" with one file named "LoqAudioBoard.so" and that's it. :( I've tried google for a fix and have come up short handed so far. Can anyone please help?! Thanks in advance. I should add to that TomTom's support just sent a automated response...no help.

Last edited:
First off,
You have to select a computer voice: Dave or Liz(I think).
Afterwards, you have to go to the voices preferences and check what you want the text to speech to say... etc.
Sorry im not going too much depth into this right now.

Hmm

I understand what you are saying, but susan and (the guy?) are not even options for me to pick as voices but I only have Bonnie, Lori, Mandy and Richard (US), Jane, tim(UK) and Ken (Australia) to choose from. All my files in the Loquendotts folder are gone.
Does anyone know where I can download a new system backup or at least just the folders relevent to the TTS function...
Thanks again.

I understand what you are saying, but susan and (the guy?) are not even options for me to pick as voices but I only have Bonnie, Lori, Mandy and Richard (US), Jane, tim(UK) and Ken (Australia) to choose from. All my files in the Loquendotts folder are gone.
Does anyone know where I can download a new system backup or at least just the folders relevent to the TTS function...
Thanks again.

Retrieve your files from your back up. I hope you did a back up when you first purchased your unit.
If all hope is lost and your unit is still returnable, I would get an exchange for another unit.

Pedro2NR, He might have had the same problem I did. When I installed TThome. The first thing I did was do a backup of the TT910. The problem is that when the backup was done and you did something to the 910, Like Screw it up. You were really SCREWED. Not knowing that the first backup did not backup everything like the Loquendotts folder. I don't know if anyone else had this problem or not. Also not knowing and Not used to the TT910 like many newb's are. The best thing to do is to use Windows and go to the TT910 and Select ALLLLLLLL of it and COPY to a Directory on your harddisk drive on the computer then burn a copy to DVD for safe keeping. I don't know what happens during the backup but file names change to lower case and all sorts of wierd things happen. The Loquendotts folder on my system is now 4.8 GIG's. I tried helping 1 guy out over a 4 day process and he could not get his working. We compaired file name and everything else we could thing of. I get several messages for help on this problem. The guy sent his in for repair. When he gets it back he is going to make a full backup with windows and save it. We are then going to compare Factor with what I have to see what the file name should be. Hopefully we can come up with a listing or the correct information that we can sort out and help people with. The Loquendotts folder is not on the Original disk sent with the TT910.

That's so true, FrankC, when I had a 910 I vaguely remember my first backup asking if I wanted to save disk space and NOT backup voice files. Most users will say yes to this, thinking they don't need the voice files. That Loquendo folder is the key.

Thanks everyone :)

Thanks everyone, I just had to exchange the unit. This time I backed up using "Tomtom home" and Copy and paste from windows explorer. Now the unit works flawless.

Can you help???

:) Well, After working 3 hours on this thing, and going and buying a snowblower for the 10 to 12 inches of snow we are supposed to get, putting it together and testing it, and working another 4 hours on the 910. I have the TTS with Susan working again. You don't want to know how, but since I am fairly knowledgable about computers and the internet, I have it working again.

Thanks for the help.:)

Hi Frank, I am having the same problem you had... I am pretty knowledgeable on the computer too, but after about 6 hours of searching this thread was the closest I got to a solution. I just got my 910 (refurbished) and according to tomtom I will most likely have to send it in... I want to avoid this at all cost.. Can you help me?

Please let me in on your secret

:) Well, After working 3 hours on this thing, and going and buying a snowblower for the 10 to 12 inches of snow we are supposed to get, putting it together and testing it, and working another 4 hours on the 910. I have the TTS with Susan working again. You don't want to know how, but since I am fairly knowledgable about computers and the internet, I have it working again.

Thanks for the help.:)

Actually, I would very much like to know!!! I need to resolve exactly the same problem you had, and if you can help me do that I will be eternally grateful!

Have a look at the contents of the device using Windows Explorer, there should be a folder named "LoquendoTTS" but on your device its probably named "loquendotts" (note the caps difference as this is important. If your folder is all lower case there is an easy way to fix this, the issue is long established bug caused by early versions of the useless TomTom Home software when used to create backups - Mike

We've been using the 'Simon' computer voice for a few years, no problems.

I hadn't updated the GO 910 in ages so recently did an update (to 7.903)

After backing up etc I got a message that the installed computer voices are not compatible with this ver. of the firmware (computer voices grayed out).

I couldn't find any newer versions of the voices on the TomTom web site.

I called TomTom support (Australia) and managed to get a CD of replacement computer voices sent out. Apparently they were newer versions that were compatible with the firmware I'd updated to.

When I tried to install them TomTom home (OS X) would not install them from the CD. It grayed out the 'Computer Voice' option and told me that Computer Voices were not compatible with this device.

Solution: Copy the LoquendoTTS file from the CD to the root of Tom Tom's drive with Windows Explorer or Mac's Finder.

The LoquendoTTS folder was contained in a folder named LoquendoTTS_7903 on the CD.

NB: Before copying the folder to the Tom Tom rename the old LoquendoTTS folder first by adding _OLD to the end of the folder's name.(eg. LoquendoTTS_OLD)

(If the new voices do not work once copied across, delete the replacement folder and change the name of the original folder back (by removing _OLD off the end)

Hope this helps.
Michael

Last edited:

Ask a Question