Looking for Advice in the UK

I hope this is the proper forum to ask this question. I am moving England from the United States and I am hoping that someone in the UK can advise me on what Tom Tom model to purchase.

In the US I have been using the Go 740 TM Live and I am very happy with it. If possible I would like to find a comparable model in England.

Thanks.

I hope this is the proper forum to ask this question. I am moving England from the United States and I am hoping that someone in the UK can advise me on what Tom Tom model to purchase.

In the US I have been using the Go 740 TM Live and I am very happy with it. If possible I would like to find a comparable model in England.

Thanks.
The GO 740 Live was also a UK model. Mike Alder can advise on any SIM card issues that may have differentiated them.

Since the 740 allows for a microSD card to be installed, you could even keep UK-ROI maps along with your US maps in case you head home once in a while. Then again, you could just swap your US maps with UK-ROI maps as needed using your PC.

Canderson,

Thanks for the information. I don't believe that the live services on my US 740 will work in Europe, which I believe you were addressing with your SIM card comment. Too bad I cannot swap out the SIM cards. If there is a European version of the 740, I might look into getting that.

Canderson,

Thanks for the information. I don't believe that the live services on my US 740 will work in Europe, which I believe you were addressing with your SIM card comment. Too bad I cannot swap out the SIM cards. If there is a European version of the 740, I might look into getting that.
Was hoping Mike could advise on possible SIM transplant.

Alas - no new 740s for sale there now. Might find one used, though. The newer 'equivalent' model to what you have is the GO 750 (that one never made it to the US), but production on that one has been discontinued as well. Good thing about the 750 (vs 740) is that they seem to be managing alphanumeric house numbers.

The 'new' stuff there either isn't ready for prime time (the 1XXX series) or has a lesser feature set than your 740 Live. I'd give some thought to waiting until you arrive and looking around the used market for a 750 Live.

Will be curious to see what Mike says.

I think its possible to swap the SIM card but the replacement will probably have to come from TomTom USA, to get the SIM out isn't too easy though as its well burried inside the device:

img9651x.jpg

Its the white part near the base to the left of center on the above picture - Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the answer. It looks like it will be a lot simpler if I just purchase a new one when I get over there.

It's a long shot, but have you actually tried contacting TomTom to see if they would swap the SIM card for a UK one?
I doubt they would send you one to install yourself, but might do it for a sevice charge.

Hi. I bought a sim card for the UK from amazon, UK for my TT720 before going to England last year on vacation. Even with the exchange rate, it was the best deal and worked perfectly for us. My 720 takes an external sim card and I thought that the 740 did as well?

Ged

The 720 can accept a memory card (SD type upto 32GB in capacity) but it has no internal modem or SIM card slot.

@Miller, when you get to the UK look for a 550 Live or 750 Live if you want European mapping included, otherwise an XL IQ or XL IQ Live but avoid the XL_IQ_2 or XL_IQ_Live_2 as these have the dumbed down menu system - Mike

Ask a Question