Looking to buy TomTom One - Need Advice (Teleatlas maps)

Hi all, I'm new to this forum. I want to buy a new GPS navigation unit for my parents and after much research, I've narrowed it down to the TomTom One and a few Garmin units. Basically, I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive GPS unit with SiRFstar III chipset (for accuracy and speed), accurate navigation and user-friendly interface.

I really wanted the text to speech option but at my price point ($300), I don't think I'll find it. I'm basically sold on the TomTom One. I especially love the way it looks! However, I have one BIG issue that no one has been able to answer. How is the actual navigation on the TomTom One?

I've been reading about the Navteq vs Teleatlas debates. From what I understand, the Navteq maps are superior (more POI's and more accurate). However, Teleatlas released a map update this year and on the TomTom site, it says, it's the most comprehensive map of NA. Is this true?

How good is the new TeleAtlas map update compared to the Navteq map with respect to navigation, streets and POIs? The GPS unit will primarily be used around Florida (Tampa area). Does anyone know how good the navigation is with the new maps?

Every review that I've read of the TomTom One says that the unit itself is superbly executed and it's just the maps that fall short. However, if the new maps are as good as the Navteq one's, I'll be running to the store to buy one for my parents (it's my Dad's Birthday next Friday).

I sincerely appreciate your advice. Thanks in advance folks!

The new map accuracy will depend on where you live. I think most of the updates were for the US cause in Canada, we didn't seem to have any of the roads updated and in fact all our Tim Horton's POI are gone! But those in the US have rejoiced because their house is now on a street and not on a green piece of the map.

In my area (that's to say in Canada where there's less mapping), I compared my ONE to my friend's PDA GPS which was running on Navteq. There were very very slight differences in locations but the directions were the same. His mapping software updated slower so the arrow jumped rather than a smooth movement on the map but his voice guidance gave more frequent instructions.

I went with the ONE because of the great interface. I only found out later that it's easy to "mod" because it's running on a Unix OS so added software (like games, video playback, mp3 playback, picture slideshow) is easily installed.

Just note that the new ONE will not use SiRFIII as TT switched to another supplier. A GPS site did a comparison and both the new chip and the SiRFIII performed well and are very similar (I think the new chip has a smoother tracking path).

Others closer to Florida can chime in.

Thanks. I wasn't aware that they had switched chipset manufacturers. So basically, the new chip is as good (or better) than the SiRFIII. That's good news. One less thing to worry about.

Now it's just the map and POI database that I need confirmation on. My parents just moved to the Brandon area (33511 zip code) and I want to know if the TeleAtlas maps will work well around that region (Tampa, St. Petersberg, Orlando, Sarasota etc.).

Also, the "new" new ONE (haha, isn't that confusing?) has a 1GB built-in memory, in addition to the SD card slot. The current new ONE has a 1GB SD Card that goes in that slot.

My suggestion if you want to see your area is to check
http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com/

Select country and state. It's for reporting map errors but you can use it to view your area and see how updated it is. Just don't click next to report an error!

Also, the "new" new ONE (haha, isn't that confusing?) has a 1GB built-in memory, in addition to the SD card slot. The current new ONE has a 1GB SD Card that goes in that slot.

My suggestion if you want to see your area is to check
http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com/

Select country and state. It's for reporting map errors but you can use it to view your area and see how updated it is. Just don't click next to report an error!

Thanks! So the new new one comes with built in memory as well. That's excellent news. I checked the site you mentioned and the mapping doesn't seem to be too bad. But it's really hard to tell unless you've used the unit in real life (also with respect to POI database).

So how are people generally finding the new TeleAtlas maps? It's strange that I cannot find a single review of the TomTom units after the revised maps were released.

I suggest that you buy a ONE from a place that has a generous return policy. That way you can test it out in real life for a while. All of our answers to your questions are no substitute for actually using the device.

I just got the One a few weeks ago when price dropped to $249 at Office Depot. I was dead set on a Garmin, because all my co workers bought them and like them. The One seems to work great so far and I'm very pleased with it. Plus it was a couple hundred less than what they paid for their Garmins. I put John Cleese's voice on it, so it seems natural when he says to turn on the "motorway" and continue "straight on" instead of "interstate" and "straight."

For the price, I think the One is great. The size is great. You can tweak on it. Navigation has shown me some great shortcuts and saved me time.

The Garmins are great as well and you get some nice extras for the extra money.

For me, it came down to price....$249 was too good to pass up.

Ask a Question