Leery about Tomtom Home and 2nd XL340S

TomTom Model(s)
XL 340?S
I got a new XL340S for Christmas and managed to mess it up connecting it to my computer just trying to get the latest map. Basically I let Windows Vista scan and fix the device as well as upgrading the application and map all before I ever stumbled upon these forums. The update and map load took well over four hours at the least and I experienced several Tomtom Home application errors stating the device had been removed when it hadn't been forcing me to restart the device update. After several reattempts and multiple copies of the map and application (back and forth between 8415 and 9025) under the downloads folder it finally claimed it had been successfully updated. All appeared well at first-- the map and application were updated, GPS showed my position correctly, and all my saved favorites and settings changes were still there. However, I soon found that the Tomtom could no longer complete any routes after these changes.

It would go through calculating roads and then when it hit 0 miles to go, freeze up and reboot itself after hanging at that screen for some number of seconds. I started searching the web then and found these forums but it was too late. I made an Explorer backup at that point and tried a format and recopy (together both took well over ten hours total time-- Is this normal??? I suspected a faulty device but the copy did finish eventually...) only to experience the same operation with routes freezing. I then tried a blank format and let home put everything back but even though I loaded the voices through Home, the Tomtom said it couldn't play any. I tried the format and copy one more time to the same results. I lastly tried to reset it to factory defaults. I could select my language and formats and when I got to voice selection I could hear them through test, but when I hit select the Tomtom hung there for some seconds and then would reset back to the initial language choice again and restart. So today I went back to the store I got it at and swapped it for another.

I opened the new one in the parking lot and drove home with it calculating the route-- all is working well. I'd like to update the map and participate in map share, but I am very leery about connecting this new one to the compute after my previous experience. I now know that the first thing I should do is make an Explorer backup and from reading the forum it sounds like no matter what Windows reports about the Tomtom, I should never let Windows scan and "fix" anything on it. But how long should updates take? Are errors common with the Tomtom Home application? I seemed to get one every time I used it with the first XL340S. I'm just looking to hear from folks who have this model and regularly successfully use it with their PCs (Vista 64-bit here). Any recommendations for use, the update time frame, and potential errors to expect? Basically need someone to assuage my fears now...

Last edited:
Home application, new user here

I purchased a TT 335s and a 340s in the last 3 weeks and have used both of them quite a bit with the HOME application on a Mac. So far it has performed flawlessly in terms of map updates, software updates and backing up files. It is normal for map updates to take hours and hours..I just left mine overnight.

I did also perform a finder (explorer equivalent on the mac) backup of files as well, just in case. So far though, no issues with the HOME software.

Down the rabbit hole again... (though I do have an out of the box Explorer backup this go round)

So after only getting a positive response to my initial post (though I should have taken with a grain of salt as the user did inform he was on a Mac...) I decided to brave TomTom HOME again. My new unit connected to my computer without any error and asked to install TomTom HOME, but I canceled as I'd downloaded and installed the latest version previously. No mention was made of Windows finding and disk errors and I started the TomTom HOME application.

My first issue in connecting the new unit was that it realized it was a new one and offered to let me create a new email account or replace the existing with this one. Though when I clicked okay to go ahead and replace it, HOME balked stating that I could only associate a unit with an email account once every six months. A quick call into support early this afternoon resolved that initial problem. While I had the tech on the phone I explained my previous circumstances and he thought that there must have definitely been something wrong with my initial unit and said a map update should only take "about an hour." He said Vista should not be any problem.

I let HOME check for updates while I had him on the phone and discussed the update order. He recommended updating the application alone and then the other updates I had come up in Home (QuickGPSfix, Safety Cameras). Another Dave (US) voice also came up but he told me that even though labeled US, it was actually a UK voice and I didn't need it. My main concern was the application and map updates so I ignored the second Dave voice at the time (though I have since posted another thread here to ask if anyone had any more information about this update).

After I hung up with him I updated the application. It failed twice copying files before finally completing on my third try. I am running Vista Home Premium x64 and got the tons of error 51 disk warnings in my system log when copying to the TomTom unit as described in this thread and this thread. The weird thing is that while not downloading the application again, HOME did create a new directory and a copy of the cab three times. I ended up with C:\Users\SpaceCowboy\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\program\TomTom_Application_for_TomTom_XL_IQ_Routes_Edition, same path...Edition-1, and same path...Edition-2; all with 23.5 MB 9.025.xl2009_plus_tts.CAB-navcore-ONE_XL.cab in each one.

When it did finally complete and restart, I clicked no on the unit when asked to connect to my computer and brought it to a window in my house to get a signal and make sure I could still route. The application was now 9.025 and a short route across town worked. I turned it off, reconnected to my PC, turned it on, and clicked connect to the computer. This time Windows claimed errors but I declined the scan. I updated the QuickGPSfix and Safety Cameras and these two small updates went without issue. I was heading out to a family dinner and it seemed like a good plan to leave the map update to go while I wouldn't be on my computer. My unit had 835 and LMG offered me 840. Despite the techs assurance I didn't really believe "about an hour" and the start of the TomTom HOME estimated an hour and a half for the download alone.

I left it at 5PM only to return after 10PM to a HOME error awaiting me. I tried a couple of more times to update the map (at least the map didn't redownload and doesn't seem to make a new folder copy like the application did) but it kept failing in copying the map to my unit. I noticed that the file was the same one (when the application failed it was two different files) each time:
ERROR: DesktopLib/InstallToDevice/Install/Single/DestinationFileDoesNotExist: Cannot create this file: L:\USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P\brand\7314_2.bmp
Finding the file in Explorer it was only 0k in size. I deleted it and tried again only to fail on the same file again. I then tried to extract it from the C:\Users\chris\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\map\USA__Canada___Mexico\USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P.zip file and manually place it into \USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P\brand\ on my unit. I got an popup stating the 0k file was still there and I clicked the replace option but got another error stating-- Error 0x80004005: Unspecified Error. So helpful Windows errors. :p

I next opened a DOS window and saw the file still listed in a dir listing even though it had disappeared from Explorer when I first deleted it save for the overwrite confirmation. When I entered del 7314_2.bmp I finally got a meaningful message-- a yellow caution icon appeared in my task bar stating:
cmd.exe - Corrupt File
The file or directory \USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P\brand\7314_2.bmp is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.

Running Chkdsk revealed that first allocation unit is not valid for 7314_2.bmp:

L:\USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P\brand>chkdsk l:
The type of the file system is FAT.
The volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk
might report errors when no corruption is present.
Volume INTERNAL created 7/10/2008 9:55 AM
Volume Serial Number is 6F0E-CBBD
Windows is verifying files and folders...
Windows found errors on the disk, but will not fix them
because disk checking was run without the /F (fix) parameter.
\USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P\brand\7314_2.bmp first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
File and folder verification is complete.
Convert lost chains to files (Y/N)? n
1245184 bytes of free disk space would be added.
Windows found problems with the file system.
Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

2,053,668,864 bytes total disk space.
1,736,704 bytes in 53 folders.
1,995,276,288 bytes in 601 files.
55,410,688 bytes available on disk.

32,768 bytes in each allocation unit.
62,673 total allocation units on disk.
1,691 allocation units available on disk.

L:\USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P\brand>

I opted not to fix initially because of what happened previously, but I suspect truncating the fat entry is my only option short of the reformat/recopy nightmare again, which doesn't put me at the 840 map and 9025 application anyway. I'm also not looking forward to another twelve plus hour format and copy session...

Definitely wishing TomTom HOME came in a linux package or source. It seems to suck big time under newer Windows... Any Windows users with a XL 340?S not having TomTom Home issues? I have no problem with my USB key drives, which is what this seems to appear to Explorer as-- why so many errors!

Any ideas how the file system got corrupted? I was careful to only disconnect after the unit had rebooted and was running the TomTom application and no longer displaying the connected screen and HOME had reported "No device connected."

Recommendations for next steps? Should I attempt using TomTom Home to place the map again or try the manual method described in this thread?

For a brief period I was toying with the TomTom Map Update Service, but I can't imagine jumping through these hoops four times a year. I'm not sure I'll even be able to stomach one... :( :mad:

EDIT: Currently attempting manual method. After running chkdsk and truncating the file 7314_2.bmp, it was gone and so was my LMG. Whereas before the chkdsk, when I selected Use Latest Map Guarantee from the Tools menu and it would show the 840 map available, afterwards I found no items any longer available in TomTom HOME. Reviewing the manual method of map updating and the C:\Users\SpaceCowboy\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\map\USA__Canada___Mexico folder I appear to have the map and activation cab needed. WinRAR chugging away now and fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Well WinRAR just finished with the USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P.zip and the activation_map_51028.cab was very tiny. I had closed TomTom HOME before I began the map extraction so I clicked Safely Remove Hardware and stopped the TomTom drive. I got a signal and planned another short route, which was successful and then played with most of the menu options toggling 2d/3d and night/day, changing menu options to see it all still work. All still seems good so far. Feeling some relief, but making another Explorer backup in a brand new directory. While no quicker it does seem that Explorer and WinRAR handle the transfers much better than TomTom HOME which just errors out. It still took nearly six hours to update a map which is just ludicrous, but it did go successfully. It also seems like the HOME errors were my only happenings that I can see to account for the filesystem corruption. Makes me wish I could just download the updates and place them myself as I did with the map instead of having to rely on an unstable HOME. I still want to recopy my initial unit's mapsettings.cfg I had saved off since I'd input in a few dozen favorites already previously, the custom splashw and antitheftw bmps, and a bunch of POIs I had downloaded, but figured a fresh backup was in order before I did all that. If all goes well, a final backup and then I'll see if I can fit all three backups on a DVD for archive. :)

Attachments

• 7314_2.bmp
    644 bytes · Views: 445
I still want to recopy my initial unit's mapsettings.cfg I had saved off since I'd input in a few dozen favorites already previously

Don't put the old MapSettings.cfg file on the device post update or it will probably mess up the device again, instead try this:

With the latest update it has been noted for some time that the update cannot read the MapSettings.cfg file and therefore creates a new empty one when the device boots up, or will simply constantly re-boot, there is a possible fix by using Home to modify the location of a Favourite which then resaves the file in the newer format, I don't trust Home one little bit so I stopped using Favourites.

If you use the Favourites option on the device this can be a problem as they will all have disappeared, assuming you have a backup of the old MapSettings.cfg file taken prior to the update help is at hand:

Firstly go to your map folder on the device and copy the "MapSettings.cfg" file from your map folder on the device to the PC.

Next you will need to download and install POIEdit which can be found on This Web page.

With the software your PC simply open the MapSettings.cfg file using the POIEdit application and you will see your old favourite locations displayed:

You can right click any of the locations and choose delete if there are duplicates or old entries you no longer require. Once the list contains what you want select File/ Save As and make sure the "Save as type" is set to "TomTom Binary (ov2), choose your file name "_FAVS" is a good one as this puts the favs POI file at the top of the list when searching on the device.

Finally copy the _FAVS.ov2 file to your map folder and you now have the option to navigate to all your old favourites, they just happen to be stored in a slightly different (better) way.

You have to use the option Navigate To/ POI then select the custom POI file named FAVs which will be at the top of the list, then select the location from the options offered.

Should you want to add more locations to the list whilst using the device use the Change Preferences/ Manage POI/ Add POI select your _FAVS category from the list and enter the location details as required - Mike

Thanks very much for the support guys. I'd forged ahead with my previously posted plan (based almost entirely on what I learned in these forums-- kudos tomtomforums.com!) before I saw your updates to the thread...

My 7314_2.bmp file was indeed gone from the unit once I'd resolved the filesystem corruption with chkdsk, but the one saved in the map zip file under HOME's folders was good to go and placed okay when I followed the manual map install as documented by dhn-- spot on instruction!

I did put the mapsettings.cfg I'd saved off back in my map folder and that restored my favorites but I had copied it off my old system which was also updated to 9.025 (only that one had had no good system backup before I'd updated and experienced some corruption in the nav system files so that it couldn't finish routing as described-- hence the return to swap for new unit). I am not sure whether restoring the cfg file would have worked had their been any big difference in navcores.

So a happy camper now hehe. I even played around with a splash screen that I had downloaded via HOME (one based on HGttG's sage advice-- Don't Panic). I had to resize it to fit the 4.3" screens so it might be a little blurrier but still looks passable to me, It was also blank too and not marked up with TomTom bling. I like the way the TomTom insignia looked on my original picture so I added the TomTom and IQRoutes logos. Figured I'd share it if any one else is a fan... see the attached file.

Attachments

• splashw.zip
    307.2 KB · Views: 361

Ask a Question