Latest map guarantee - read the fine print

Tomtom says
TomTom provides you with the latest map pre-installed on your new device. In the event that a newer map is available within 30 days from when you start using your device, you are entitled to one free map download.

So if you download a map and a newer one comes out, like 8.15 did in my first 30 days, you are SOL. My advice would be to hold off using that guarantee till you are close to the 30 day mark. Personally I feel that a "Latest map guarantee" should included all updates within the first 30 days or it truly isn't a valid guarantee. Lesson learned. Hopefully others will benefit from my mistake.

Tomtom says
TomTom provides you with the latest map pre-installed on your new device. In the event that a newer map is available within 30 days from when you start using your device, you are entitled to one free map download.

So if you download a map and a newer one comes out, like 8.15 did in my first 30 days, you are SOL. My advice would be to hold off using that guarantee till you are close to the 30 day mark. Personally I feel that a "Latest map guarantee" should included all updates within the first 30 days or it truly isn't a valid guarantee. Lesson learned. Hopefully others will benefit from my mistake.

Same happened to me. I upgraded to map 8.10 the next day after getting my 720, but 13 days later 8.15 came out. I was pretty upset at this and gave TomTom a piece of my mind, and they decided to be nice and give me 8.15 anyways. Problem is that new users don't know to wait near the end of the 30 day mark. TomTom didn't HAVE to give me 8.15, but they knew I could/would return the device for either another 720 which would restart the 30 day period, or that I could go for another name like Garmin instead.

coreyva - if you are within the 30 day return period from your vendor source - you should try the same thing - tell TT to upgrade you or you return it.

If they don't do the former, then if you really can return it - consider doing so. If you got another one - it would have its own 30 day guarantee.

coreyva - if you are within the 30 day return period from your vendor source - you should try the same thing - tell TT to upgrade you or you return it.

If they don't do the former, then if you really can return it - consider doing so. If you got another one - it would have its own 30 day guarantee.

I am within my 30 days. I guess I could force the issue, I was just hoping for more understanding from them. I'l try again tomorrow. How often do they usually produce updated maps?

I am within my 30 days. I guess I could force the issue, I was just hoping for more understanding from them. I'l try again tomorrow. How often do they usually produce updated maps?

LOL, in this case it was barely 2 months.. They (TomTom) are incredibly daft to think that we would shell out over $100 for every single map update.

I'm about to send you a PM by the way coreyva regarding the map update issue.

I just purchased my TomTom about 3 weeks ago. I came home installed it on my computer and using TomTom Home, I clicked on Latest Map Guarantee. It said that I had the latest map and no others were available. I then drove to Florida using my new TomTom thinking everything was up to date.
While I was down there I found this forum and through reading realized that TomTom Home doesn't always show the new maps available. I then read that in order to get the update, I would have to call TomTom, fax over my proof of purchase and then they would give me the update.
Unfortunately, my proof of purchase was at home, so I had to wait until I drive home to get it.
Fortunately for me, there were two updates that ended up coming out, so I then got the newest one.
My point is, that if I didn't find this forum, I would of still had the old maps thinking that I was up to date. My 30 days would of expired and possibly in a few months when I realized there was an update or maybe after my 30 days TomTom HOme would of showed it to me.
I would of had to pay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its absolutely ridiculous how they advertise when you buy it you get a 30 day map guarantee.
How many people buy it, use TomTom Home latest map guarantee, and think that they have the newest maps?

Brian

dhn's correct unfortunately. Unless you come to a place like this you might never know about a lot of the things that go on. Like getting the real latest maps or waiting till your 30 days are almost up to make sure you don't get bitten by the LMG verbage.

Well, there was no love from TomTom for me. :(

I even showed them this page which is part of why I made the decision to go with TT to begin with.
https://www.tomtom.com/latestmap/

It's interesting how their page dedicated to the LMG doesn't mention a single map limitation.

At this point I'm going to send it back to amazon. Heck it's ten bucks cheaper now. Still, it makes me wonder if I shouldn't go with a different device. Garmin maybe.

Same happened to me. I upgraded to map 8.10 the next day after getting my 720, but 13 days later 8.15 came out. I was pretty upset at this and gave TomTom a piece of my mind, and they decided to be nice and give me 8.15 anyways. Problem is that new users don't know to wait near the end of the 30 day mark. TomTom didn't HAVE to give me 8.15, but they knew I could/would return the device for either another 720 which would restart the 30 day period, or that I could go for another name like Garmin instead.

When I contacted TomTom to upgrade they didn't give me the latest map, but gave me one newer than what I had installed but NOT the 8.0 that was the most current. I complained and they said no. So I returned the 720 and got a new one from a different place. When I tried to upgrade the new 720 they refused saying that they had already given me an upgrade on the other unit!!!! After about 40 minutes of haggling about how this was in fact a different unit purchased from a different sotre they did eventually agree to give me the map upgrade. Talk about poor customer service.

Maybe that will help to convince them that when customers have the option to return and get a new unit if they do not cooperate with the maps - that they will!

Good job.

My point is, that if I didn't find this forum, I would of still had the old maps thinking that I was up to date. My 30 days would of expired and possibly in a few months when I realized there was an update or maybe after my 30 days TomTom HOme would of showed it to me.
I would of had to pay!
Got my 930 end of May and, of course like any computer programmes, went immediately for the updates to be current.
LMG immediately gave me the 805 NA map but told me that the W&CE map was current.
If I hadn't tuned in to a UK forum and found out that the latest W&CE map was about 1.9 GB (requiring the SD card) instead of the 1.6 GB W&CE_2GB map, I too would have accepted the lesser map.

When I contacted TomTom to upgrade they didn't give me the latest map, but gave me one newer than what I had installed but NOT the 8.0 that was the most current. I complained and they said no. So I returned the 720 and got a new one from a different place. When I tried to upgrade the new 720 they refused saying that they had already given me an upgrade on the other unit!!!! After about 40 minutes of haggling about how this was in fact a different unit purchased from a different sotre they did eventually agree to give me the map upgrade. Talk about poor customer service.

That's why in my email to TomTom I sent to them, I even mentioned that if I bought a new unit, that I sure as heck would not be registering under the same email address, and that I would be creating a new account. I pretty much cornered them and gave them no choice but to give me 8.15, and so they did. I clearly pointed out that I would either be buying another 720, which would entitle me to another LMG, or that I might even consider getting a Garmin.

Problem is, I don't even know if I want 8.15 at the moment since I'm still debating whether to go back to OS 8.010 for now...

Problem is, I don't even know if I want 8.15 at the moment since I'm still debating whether to go back to OS 8.010 for now...

even though you need navcore 8.30 to take advantage of some features of the 815 maps.

since you live in Florida....I'll point this out....815 does have some new roads ( Davenport ) and new ramps/exits Beachline 528 ( Orlando )....just to name a few.

Last edited:
I had an existing unit, bought the maps at full price (120 or 130 bucks something like that) and they released the new maps 29 days after (I bought on Oct 12, they released 8.15 on Nov 11th).

I emailed, I called, they told me I was crap right out of luck and they don't guarantee maps. Once they're bought, you're stuck and they release maps 3-4 times a year.

I said "So basically you're saying I have to spend 500$ a year to keep recent maps on my 400$ unit?" She said "I know people who have their maps 3-4 years without having to change them out".

*shakes head* I envision me buying a different unit if that's how the game is going to be played. Bunch of crap if you ask me.

The lady also said a Supervisor can't override the issue and I was out of luck. She was in Upstate NY and obviously had no idea about the potential for roads to change in the rest of the US.

Ask a Question