Latest Map Guarantee not working

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
Why is TomTom telling me that my 720 has the latest map when it really doesn't? It says "Currently there is no newer map available for your device."

The latest map guarantee function is flakey at best. You'll have to call Support. They will ask for a scan, fax or photo of your sales invoice as proof and then add the map to your account for downloading.

They do work on Saturdays, I think and the number is: 866-486-6866

The latest map guarantee function is flakey at best. You'll have to call Support. They will ask for a scan, fax or photo of your sales invoice as proof and then add the map to your account for downloading.

They do work on Saturdays, I think and the number is: 866-486-6866

Bummer. Yeah, they're already closed. They open on Saturday 9am EST. Now I just have to find that receipt....

Royal Pain........

Bummer. Yeah, they're already closed. They open on Saturday 9am EST. Now I just have to find that receipt....

takes 4 to 5 hours after you fax the recipt for them to prove you really bought it!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

I should have bought a Garmin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

takes 4 to 5 hours after you fax the recipt for them to prove you really bought it!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

I called TT customer support and I'm downloading and installing the map as I type. I really wasn't that hard. I called them up. They told me that they needed my receipt to prove I was within the 30 day LMG period. I scanned my receipt and uploaded it to them via their website (they will tell you how to do this). It took less than 15 minutes.

And WHAT are you going to do once it is all installed? :D :D

I guess I'm going to back up, AGAIN. You know, you're making me load up my hard drive. :p

You know, at first when I read your question, I was thinking that you were referring to something fun, like downloading and installing POIs. Then I realized that you were referring to performing a backup. LOL

DHN - do you ever sleep? You were here late last night and early this morning. Not that I'm complaining b/c you are a real help. :D

I was going to ask you the same question? I mean, nothing to do in LA but download stuff for a TomTom? :rolleyes: :p

I was going to ask you the same question? I mean, nothing to do in LA but download stuff for a TomTom? :rolleyes: :p

I'm at home with the monkey children. I have a 3 1/2 year old and a 1 1/2 year old. They are double trouble! My son, the youngest, woke up at 5:30am so that means I'm up at 5:30am. Luckily, I'm a morning person. I was up kind of late last night. I think I went to bed around 10:30pm, which is late for me!

I'm more excited with my TT this time around. I guess because I'm stuck with it! Here's the background story on that. I first purchased a 720 in November 2007 from Costco (online) because they have a very good return policy. You can return a product (except for cell phones, TVs, computers and stuff of that nature which must be returned within 90 days I believe) any time if you are not completely satisfied with it. Since this was my very first GPS I wanted to make sure it was the one I wanted. I did so much research, compared all the models. I even had an excel spreadsheet for my comparisons. That's the "type-A" personality in me I guess. So I had been using my 720 for a year then I saw that Best Buy was having it on sale for Black Friday for $250 - $100 less than what I had paid and a newer map! So I bought a new 720 on Black Friday and returned the original 720 to Costco. I saved $100 and I'm getting the most up to date map. Win win. For me at least. Well, now that I'm stuck with the 720 (happily so) I want to get the most out of it. I've already gotten carried away with the custom POIs (I currently have over 40) and plan to get more.

Just remember, the more poi categories selected to show on the map, the slower the map refresh will be. With all selected, the map will crawl and you don't want that.

Many suggest not showing more than a 3 or 4 poi categories at a time. In any given area, you'll still be able to find non-listed pois using the 'find' button or other methods.

Just play with the unit a bit and you'll see .....

Just remember, the more poi categories selected to show on the map, the slower the map refresh will be. With all selected, the map will crawl and you don't want that.

Many suggest not showing more than a 3 or 4 poi categories at a time. In any given area, you'll still be able to find non-listed pois using the 'find' button or other methods.

Just play with the unit a bit and you'll see .....

Great advice! I did notice the map refresh was sluggish and that's probably why.

I think something did not work right. I finished downloading and installing the LMG and the 1st thing I noticed is that it was not showing my street on the map. I went to see which map version I was looking at and it says Guam 710.1576. So I tried to switch maps (from Guam to NA) but it's only showing the Guam map on my TT. When I check the contents of my TT via HOME it shows both maps. What's going on?

UPDATE: called customer support. They had me download their flash tool and had me run that 3 times. Did not work. Called customer support back. Found NA map on my computer but apparently it's not on my TT. Adding it to my TT now.

UPDATE: Didn't work. On the phone with customer support again...

UPDATE: I was told to RESET my TT. That didn't work. I deleted the NA map folder. Deleted the Guam map folder. Then I tried to download and install the latest NA map (which was put back into my account by TT support) and it wanted me to delete items to make room. I was then told to format the TT (which I believe whips it clean) and now I'm downloading and installing the latest map again. Let's hope it works this time. And I thought redeeming the LMG was going to be easy...

LAST UPDATE: My TT finally works. It updated the firmware from 8.010 to 8.300, which I think I will leave until/unless it bugs me too much.

Last edited:
So I had been using my 720 for a year then I saw that Best Buy was having it on sale for Black Friday for $250 - $100 less than what I had paid and a newer map! So I bought a new 720 on Black Friday and returned the original 720 to Costco. I saved $100 and I'm getting the most up to date map. Win win. For me at least.
Yes, win win for the consumer. Total train wreck for companies that sell merchandise to Costco. You do know that the unit will now be returned to TomTom, right?

I can't tell you how many zillion dollars worth of perfectly good merchandise my prior company got back from Costco every year. People would buy one of our products, take it on vacation to use it, and then return it. Back to our company it comes, wasting lots of time and money. Perhaps later to be sold as "refurbished", perhaps just sent to the crusher. All this does is raise the cost of goods for everyone.

Bri -- PLEASE don't play that game with us. The resulting inefficiencies in delivering goods to the market for a decent price are much greater than you can imagine. Abusing Costco's excessively generous return policy has become a national pastime.

Yes, win win for the consumer. Total train wreck for companies that sell merchandise to Costco. You do know that the unit will now be returned to TomTom, right?

I can't tell you how many zillion dollars worth of perfectly good merchandise my prior company got back from Costco every year. People would buy one of our products, take it on vacation to use it, and then return it. Back to our company it comes, wasting lots of time and money. Perhaps later to be sold as "refurbished", perhaps just sent to the crusher. All this does is raise the cost of goods for everyone.

Bri -- PLEASE don't play that game with us. The resulting inefficiencies in delivering goods to the market for a decent price are much greater than you can imagine. Abusing Costco's excessively generous return policy has become a national pastime.

Thanks for the lecture. Next time I want one I'll ask for it.

Great advice! I did notice the map refresh was sluggish and that's probably why.
No doubt. The fact that it all works as well as it does is pretty amazing. For every POI category that is enabled for current view, the TT has to constantly determine which of them would fall within the current map or driving view, and then keep juggling them while they're actually within view. Some of the POI categories are huge (e.g., a whole nation full of McDonald's), that's a lot of decision making to be done every second, and a lot of rendering of video for the "hits".

LMG worked.....finally!

Okay, a few things I've noticed. First, I don't have a start up screen or a shut down screen. I think it's b/c TT support had me format my TT and it wasn't reinstalled. No biggie, I can get those back.

I'm in the Los Angeles area and I noticed that TT shows the 134 FWY as the 144 FWY. I'm not sure if that's a 8.3 bug or a map error. What do you all suggest?

The lane guidance is pretty cool. Doesn't stay on for long but it's cool.

I lost the "computer" voice that has the TTS feature. So nav lady (as I call her) doesn't say the street names. I guess I can get the computer voice from somewhere.

And for the record (*cough* dhn *cough*), I did another backup with the 8.3 and 815 map.

Now I'm off to download those POIs again.

Huh? The whole process took less than 5 minutes for me. They kept me on the phone the whole time as I scanned and emailed them the receipt. By the end of the call, the map was ready to be downloaded. You must have caught them at a bad moment or something.

Okay, a few things I've noticed. First, I don't have a start up screen or a shut down screen. I think it's b/c TT support had me format my TT and it wasn't reinstalled. No biggie, I can get those back.

I'm in the Los Angeles area and I noticed that TT shows the 134 FWY as the 144 FWY. I'm not sure if that's a 8.3 bug or a map error. What do you all suggest?

The lane guidance is pretty cool. Doesn't stay on for long but it's cool.

I lost the "computer" voice that has the TTS feature. So nav lady (as I call her) doesn't say the street names. I guess I can get the computer voice from somewhere.

And for the record (*cough* dhn *cough*), I did another backup with the 8.3 and 815 map.

Now I'm off to download those POIs again.

1. Since you truly are a glutton for punishment :)D ), I'm providing a link where you can create your own splash screens. Click here.

2. You can use 'map corrections' to rename a road.

3. Use Home to add voices-->computer voices (firmware 8.3)

4. Brianna, you do NOT need to dl custom .ov2 files when you update your map. Just copy the .ov2 and associated .bmp files from a backed up map to the specific map folder on the unit.

1. Since you truly are a glutton for punishment :)D ), I'm providing a link where you can create your own splash screens. Click here.

2. You can use 'map corrections' to rename a road.

3. Use Home to add voices-->computer voices (firmware 8.3)

4. Brianna, you do NOT need to dl custom .ov2 files when you update your map. Just copy the .ov2 and associated .bmp files from a backed up map to the specific map folder on the unit.

1. Thanks for the link! I will try that out.
2. I'll look into that and try renaming that freeway.
3. I will do that.
4. Oh yeah, huh. That's why I performed ALL those pesky backups, right?

Ask a Question